Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Elliott Leaving? Now Santucci? 
Author Message
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 727
Location: Fran's Cupboard
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving?
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
tx.state wrote:
Assistant coach gets an offer to go coach in the SEC for a coach who he has already worked for and will likely (at least) double his salary...

And taxman assumes he's jumping ship before people see past the smoke and mirrors...

Why is he still surprised when people call out his bullshit?




Yeah, you guys keep believing that everything is hunky dory and keep making excuses for concerning behavior despite all evidence to the contrary. :| :| :|

Everyone loved the sharks in the water back in the day, when the sharks were actually swimming in the offices above the stadium.


Image


Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:48 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:45 pm
Posts: 4980
Location: at the neighboring pub...
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving?
and each of them SUBSTANTIALLY increased their salaries and positioned themselves for a P5-track career ladder. Jumping ship involves reaching for "desperation" positions. Each of their moves had clear career strategy behind it.

There is ALWAYS a push factor of some kind when someone leaves a job--a reason they are looking in the first place. But they were hardly cases of rats jumping off a sinking ship.

------------

The Eliiot move isn't concerning--it is a smart move toward career advancement. The aggregate of all of the other moves within the coaching staff is what gives me heartburn. It looks unstable.

_________________
I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.


Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:00 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4903
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving?
bleed gold wrote:
The Eliiot move isn't concerning--it is a smart move toward career advancement. The aggregate of all of the other moves within the coaching staff is what gives me heartburn. It looks unstable.

don't know about unstable, but it certainly doesn't instill confidence.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:16 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 12:46 am
Posts: 342
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving?
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_6cbd6ff0-f54c-11e6-abfb-276ee0c6a251.html

Source: LSU graduate assistant and former interim tight ends coach Eric Mateos leaving for Texas State

Eric Mateos turned his interim role into a full-time job.

Mateos, the graduate assistant who replaced Steve Ensminger mid-season as tight ends coach, is leaving LSU to coach offensive line at Texas State, a source told The Advocate. He's starting at his new position next week.

Mateos, 27, just completed his first season with the Tigers, joining the program as a graduate assistant offensive line coach. After Les Miles' firing in September, he filled Ensminger's role as tight ends coach when then-interim coach Ed Orgeron promoted Ensminger to offensive coordinator.

A Kansas City native, Mateos landed his first full time college coaching position after spending three years as a graduate assistant at Arkansas before his year in Baton Rouge.

He coached the offensive line, tight ends and served as recruiting coordinator for Hutchinson Community College in 2012. He began his coaching career in 2011 at Southwest Baptist University, a Division II school in Missouri where he played center and served as team captain.

Mateos coached a tight ends group that starred after Miles' firing last season. Ensminger and new starting quarterback Danny Etling targeted the position, working guys like Colin Jeter, DeSean Smith and Foster Moreau into the game plan each week.

That trio finished the season with 27 catches for 420 yards and three touchdowns.

_________________
Class of 2007
Football Season Ticket Holder
Bobcat Club Member


Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:54 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:43 pm
Posts: 2136
Location: Austin, Tx
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving?
Saul Goodman wrote:
bleed gold wrote:
The Eliiot move isn't concerning--it is a smart move toward career advancement. The aggregate of all of the other moves within the coaching staff is what gives me heartburn. It looks unstable.

don't know about unstable, but it certainly doesn't instill confidence.


Coaching moves on our team are nothing new and will continue. Season two of Whithers as head coach will illuminate whether or not the team is headed the right direction. I suggest we give him the chance to create his staff before passing judgement.


Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:39 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:48 am
Posts: 836
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving?
lancer wrote:
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_6cbd6ff0-f54c-11e6-abfb-276ee0c6a251.html

Source: LSU graduate assistant and former interim tight ends coach Eric Mateos leaving for Texas State

Eric Mateos turned his interim role into a full-time job.

Mateos, the graduate assistant who replaced Steve Ensminger mid-season as tight ends coach, is leaving LSU to coach offensive line at Texas State, a source told The Advocate. He's starting at his new position next week.

Mateos, 27, just completed his first season with the Tigers, joining the program as a graduate assistant offensive line coach. After Les Miles' firing in September, he filled Ensminger's role as tight ends coach when then-interim coach Ed Orgeron promoted Ensminger to offensive coordinator.

A Kansas City native, Mateos landed his first full time college coaching position after spending three years as a graduate assistant at Arkansas before his year in Baton Rouge.

He coached the offensive line, tight ends and served as recruiting coordinator for Hutchinson Community College in 2012. He began his coaching career in 2011 at Southwest Baptist University, a Division II school in Missouri where he played center and served as team captain.

Mateos coached a tight ends group that starred after Miles' firing last season. Ensminger and new starting quarterback Danny Etling targeted the position, working guys like Colin Jeter, DeSean Smith and Foster Moreau into the game plan each week.

That trio finished the season with 27 catches for 420 yards and three touchdowns.



After reading this and others about coaching moves (unstable comments), I too am concerned but from how I look at it the offense needed some shake up compared to the defense that had a better showing (not great but better than O). Mayes position change totally looks like a demotion from where I'm sitting while Fleming to Co-OC/Passing Coordinator & QB coach and Kuhr Co-OC & RB coach moving Antoine to WRs coach.

Coach Antoine's profile: http://www.txstatebobcats.com/coaches.aspx?rc=882&path=football
Does have some experience coaching WRs so that is not as far fetched as I thought.

Going into year 2, Withers has a staff he's coached with or added like new OL coach with a better understanding of the players he has coming back and coming in. We all expect a better running game and considering this new OL coach comes from 2 P5 dominant running games in Arkansas and LSU last year, my hope is he can get this group of OL to buy in to his coaching style and run the ball more efficiently (I think its too much to ask him to create miracles with the OL we have coming back so I'd take efficient run game right now).


Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:12 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:02 am
Posts: 284
Location: Houston
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving?
Bobkat34 wrote:
with the OL we have coming back


that is of course after... let me quote Withers... 'pushed, not let the other team flip,' 3 pretty decent 2017 OL commits we had at one point

Nobody would be half as worried about our O line this upcoming season if we were able to hold onto Levins Davis and Parish


Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:38 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:48 am
Posts: 836
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving?
Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
Bobkat34 wrote:
with the OL we have coming back


that is of course after... let me quote Withers... 'pushed, not let the other team flip,' 3 pretty decent 2017 OL commits we had at one point

Nobody would be half as worried about our O line this upcoming season if we were able to hold onto Levins Davis and Parish


That is some pretty big assumptions on which players were pushed (these were the likely candidates: Clater, Peterson, Davis, Parish, Thomas)... Only others that decommitted was Quan Hampton.

We still have 3 freshmen 2star OTs with a JC OT and 1 Freshman Center (5 total OL)... so what really changed? Instead of having 4 Freshmen 2 star OTs and 2 JC OTs with 1 Freshman Center, we dropped to a total of 5 OL than 8 OL. I'm not so sure it was such a huge drop off at this point other than more numbers on OL. At this point, its way too early to say this guy is better than that one.


Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:16 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:48 am
Posts: 836
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving?
Bobkat34 wrote:
lancer wrote:
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_6cbd6ff0-f54c-11e6-abfb-276ee0c6a251.html

Source: LSU graduate assistant and former interim tight ends coach Eric Mateos leaving for Texas State

Eric Mateos turned his interim role into a full-time job.

Mateos, the graduate assistant who replaced Steve Ensminger mid-season as tight ends coach, is leaving LSU to coach offensive line at Texas State, a source told The Advocate. He's starting at his new position next week.

Mateos, 27, just completed his first season with the Tigers, joining the program as a graduate assistant offensive line coach. After Les Miles' firing in September, he filled Ensminger's role as tight ends coach when then-interim coach Ed Orgeron promoted Ensminger to offensive coordinator.

A Kansas City native, Mateos landed his first full time college coaching position after spending three years as a graduate assistant at Arkansas before his year in Baton Rouge.

He coached the offensive line, tight ends and served as recruiting coordinator for Hutchinson Community College in 2012. He began his coaching career in 2011 at Southwest Baptist University, a Division II school in Missouri where he played center and served as team captain.

Mateos coached a tight ends group that starred after Miles' firing last season. Ensminger and new starting quarterback Danny Etling targeted the position, working guys like Colin Jeter, DeSean Smith and Foster Moreau into the game plan each week.

That trio finished the season with 27 catches for 420 yards and three touchdowns.



After reading this and others about coaching moves (unstable comments), I too am concerned but from how I look at it the offense needed some shake up compared to the defense that had a better showing (not great but better than O). Mayes position change totally looks like a demotion from where I'm sitting while Fleming to Co-OC/Passing Coordinator & QB coach and Kuhr Co-OC & RB coach moving Antoine to WRs coach.

Coach Antoine's profile: http://www.txstatebobcats.com/coaches.aspx?rc=882&path=football
Does have some experience coaching WRs so that is not as far fetched as I thought.

Going into year 2, Withers has a staff he's coached with or added like new OL coach with a better understanding of the players he has coming back and coming in. We all expect a better running game and considering this new OL coach comes from 2 P5 dominant running games in Arkansas and LSU last year, my hope is he can get this group of OL to buy in to his coaching style and run the ball more efficiently (I think its too much to ask him to create miracles with the OL we have coming back so I'd take efficient run game right now).


Keep a few things in mind based on my comments below... Withers noted in Signing Day Special that we were heavy on guards on roster (likely meaning some of current OTs listed are likely considered to Withers to be guards and not tackles).

If that is our situation, wouldn't a OL coach coming from a heavy run heavy offense make sense, especially when you consider Arkansas is heavy, heavy run then pass. Wouldn't a OL coach from that style be used to big physical OL that are built to run? I'd think so.

In general, there is nothing we can do this spring to "fix" the OL enough to change it for 2017 other than when some of the signees come in. So why not work on our run game with current OL and build from there? Makes sense to me. Could we see some Arkansas scheming with a more guard oriented OL this spring and possibly in fall?

I don't think we'll change our offensive style by going fast but if this guy can get this OL moving in the right direction this spring running the ball, he'd have done his job. Throwing will always be a part of this offense but the run game is priority #1 OL blocking and #2 TE improvement in blocking.


Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:03 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 5984
Location: Corpus Christi
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving?
Did we miss something here? I'm going to ask around.

Jeff McDaniels‏ @coachjmcdaniels 7m7 minutes ago

Learned so much from @CoachSantucci this past year & wishing u the best on your next step at @NDFootball! True all around mentor. #irish #nd
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes


Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:28 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:25 pm
Posts: 268
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving? Now Santucci?
Oh what the hell. I thought a 2-10 season would prevent our coaches from getting scooped up.

_________________
https://www.reddit.com/r/TxStateBobcats/


Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:40 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:18 pm
Posts: 5984
Location: Corpus Christi
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving? Now Santucci?
http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Quote:
Notre Dame: Per sources, Texas State outside linebackers coach Tyler Santucci has accepted a defensive analyst job at Notre Dame. Santucci spent one year at Texas State and was previously a graduate assistant at Wake Forest from 2014-15 under new Notre Dame defensive coordinator Mike Elko.


Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:02 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4903
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving? Now Santucci?
Larry Teis wrote:
Oh what the hell. I thought a 2-10 season would prevent our coaches from getting scooped up.

coaching jobs are much more about relationships, than results. how do you think jeff fisher kept his job for so long? why rex ryan was hired in buffalo after 4 straight .500 or worse seasons and an overall losing record w/ the jets? how fran got hired here the 2nd time around? why shawn watson continues to get hired as an offensive coordinator?

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:24 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 6840
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving? Now Santucci?
CatMom wrote:
http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Quote:
Notre Dame: Per sources, Texas State outside linebackers coach Tyler Santucci has accepted a defensive analyst job at Notre Dame. Santucci spent one year at Texas State and was previously a graduate assistant at Wake Forest from 2014-15 under new Notre Dame defensive coordinator Mike Elko.




He will probably get a lot better pay, but in terms of coaching.....that's taking a demotion. Two coaches have accepted demotions (albeit for better pay) to jump ship. I liked Santucci, he did a great job with our LB corps having graduated the core of the 2015 contributors. He was a solid recruiter too.


Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:32 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 5967
Reply with quote
Post Re: Elliott Leaving? Now Santucci?
Texas State: Jordan Peterson, who spent the last few seasons at Fresno State, has been hired as outside linebackers coach and special teams coach. At Fresno State, Peterson started out coaching the secondary before moving to outside linebackers and assistant recruiting coordinator.


Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:36 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group