Coaching Carousel Thread 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Coaching Carousel Thread
for discussion of coaching moves, whether they have a connection to txst or not. who got a job, who might be a fit for a job, etc.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:00 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Coaching Carousel Thread
jay norvell was just announced as hc at nevada. that's a guy i wanted to replace fran a couple of years back. was the oc at texas after watson was demoted, co-oc/wr coach at ou, oc/qb at both ucla and nebraska, and a rainmaker on the recruiting trail. last job was the wr/passing game coordinator at arizoona state.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:04 am
True Bobcat Fan

lane kiffin is going to houston. he's a guy i think is a great coordinator, terrible head coach. putting him in a city like houston doesn't seem like a great idea either. can't imagine he can keep them where herman had them, seeing as how herman is gutting the staff and kiffen has zero texas ties.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:06 am
True Bobcat Fan

lot of talk about charlie strong going to usf. typically think midmajors should be looking to guys that want to move up, so they can prove themselves w/ wins and move on, but this seems like a place strong could retire from. florida ties, fertile recruiting grounds, and he might not be looking to go back to a high profile, big state u gig after his experience at texas.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:12 am
True Bobcat Fan

willie taggart to oregon seems like a bit of an odd fit to me. next to no experience on the left coast (2yrs at stanford as rb coach), but the #5 rushing and #7 scoring offense so he's definitely a fit from that perspective. curious to see what happens there, as that region isn't a big recruiting area and washington is a power now - will there be enough players to go around for both, plus wsu now that the pirate has got it going in pullman?

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:20 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
lot of talk about charlie strong going to usf. typically think midmajors should be looking to guys that want to move up, so they can prove themselves w/ wins and move on, but this seems like a place strong could retire from. florida ties, fertile recruiting grounds, and he might not be looking to go back to a high profile, big state u gig after his experience at texas.

I think Strong is absolutely steering clear of the high profile gigs. I think the Austin pressure cooker just devoured him. He is a good fit for USF. There are some coaches I think are better served to stay put longer and build a lasting legacy. Plus he is pretty much set financially at this point.

Also, I think Taggart is making a mistake.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
lane kiffin is going to houston. he's a guy i think is a great coordinator, terrible head coach. putting him in a city like houston doesn't seem like a great idea either. can't imagine he can keep them where herman had them, seeing as how herman is gutting the staff and kiffen has zero texas ties.

heh - looks like usatoday tried to scoop and got burned here. apparently uh is going heavy on the buyout clause to try and hold on to their coaches, and kiffin balked. applewhite seems to be the guy there now.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

And Major gets the call at UH.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18242101/houston-cougars-promote-offensive-coordinator-major-applewhite-head-coach

Eager to see how he does as a head coach now that he has the chance.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 am
True Bobcat Fan

Purdue hiring WKUs coach was a good move IMO.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

agree ^^

think he could have gone to a better school if there was an opening, so they were smart to snatch him up.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

kiffin to fau seems like such a bad idea for all involved. it's not where he wanted to be (houston), it's not a school that has any amount of success, and kiffin isn't a builder. can't see that going very well.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:07 am
True Bobcat Fan

jeff traylor wasn't retained by herman at ut, and wants to stay in austin until his kid graduates (think 2 more years?). we should be doing everything we can to find a way to get him on staff, even if it means booting someone. he's a straight rainmaker on the recruiting trail, and that's where we need the most help.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:09 pm
Junior Bobcat

Saul Goodman wrote:
jeff traylor wasn't retained by herman at ut, and wants to stay in austin until his kid graduates (think 2 more years?). we should be doing everything we can to find a way to get him on staff, even if it means booting someone. he's a straight rainmaker on the recruiting trail, and that's where we need the most help.

I would hope that their connections would hear of these whispers long before news traveled to these boards; especially since it's just up the road. If he is looking to stay local, he's as good as you hear (know), and brings P5 credentials... it would be a damn shame if he doesn't land here in San Marcos. Assuming dollars make sense and other things.

Wouldn't you think?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:41 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

If we don't snag him, I suspect Baylor or UTSA will.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

matt.butler wrote:
I would hope that their connections would hear of these whispers long before news traveled to these boards; especially since it's just up the road.

and since withers and herman were at tosu together for 2yrs. (unless that's what you meant, in which case - whoosh, on my part)

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:24 pm