Mike MacIntyre (Colorado HC) 
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Mike MacIntyre (Colorado HC)
http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/_/i ... paying-off

Seems like both SJSU and Colorado were in a very similar situation to the one we are now. Bottom of the conference, losing records, etc.

Quote:
The Spartans went 1-12 in his first year, their worst season in school history, but progress quickly followed. They went 5-7 in 2011 and finished the regular season 10-2 in 2012.

Quote:
Colorado went 4-8 in MacIntyre's first season, 2-10 the next and 4-9 last year. Despite what those win totals indicated, there was notable progress each season. In conference play, the Buffaloes' average scoring margin dropped from minus-23.9 to minus-12.8 to minus-12.7, and they held second-half leads in losses against USC, UCLA and Arizona. It wasn't the type of success they were looking for, but for those paying close attention, there was a lot to be encouraged about.

It's encouraging to see his success in the PAC-12, especially when he was rebuilding from scratch. I'm hopeful that our program can do the same, especially since we've seen other examples this season (WMU for one) that prove it can be done.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Mike MacIntyre (Colorado HC)
PJ Fleck of WMU went 1-11 in his first year and is now undefeated. I'm certain that Withers can do the same here -- people are just doom and gloom here despite the factors determining our success. They haven't even given him a full recruiting class or two to see results. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Shut the fuck up Larry.

Rome would have never been built if you were in charge. You would probably call that a success and tell people you prevented the fall of the Roman Empire.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

RiverRatCat06 wrote:
Shut the fuck up Larry.

Rome would have never been built if you were in charge. You would probably call that a success and tell people you prevented the fall of the Roman Empire.

I hope telling me to shut the fuck up was cathartic for you. You do realize this is a parody account, right?

Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Larry Teis wrote:
RiverRatCat06 wrote:
Shut the fuck up Larry.

I hope telling me to shut the fuck up was cathartic for you. You do realize this is a parody account, right?

I don't care if it is a parody account or not, it made me audibly laugh out loud when I read it.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

must admit it got a chuckle out of me as well. roll w/ it, doc! :lol:

Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

btw - mcintyre is one of the names i've put out there as an example of not only the type of coach we should be looking at, but the situation that we should expect.

* p5 coordinator
* gets to 10 wins and off to a bigger pond in 4ish yrs
* rinse/repeat

Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:15 am
True Bobcat Fan

Ya that's the situation that I'd like as well. Bitter JMU fans were saying that Withers wasn't in it for the long haul...that he'd be gone in 3-4 years to a better job...as if that was a bad thing. That's ideal.

In 3-4 years you won enough games at TXST that someone else wants to hire you - awesome. Let's go get the next guy. Even really good coaches get stale after staying too long at the same school.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:58 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Larry Teis wrote:
PJ Fleck of WMU went 1-11 in his first year and is now undefeated. I'm certain that Withers can do the same here -- people are just doom and gloom here despite the factors determining our success. They haven't even given him a full recruiting class or two to see results. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Plug in Bailiff, Wright, or Franchione with that statement. The same things were said of all of them.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:51 am
True Bobcat Fan

Quote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
people are just doom and gloom here despite the factors determining our success. They haven't even given him a full recruiting class or two to see results. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Plug in Bailiff, Wright, or Franchione with that statement. The same things were said of all of them.

Every new coach deserves that amount of time. If your expectations are that a coach should inherit a losing team with someone else's players and immediately win you have unrealistic expectations. I believe Bailiff, Wright, Franchione, and Withers all inherited losing teams. The extended amount of losing this program has consistently seen for years points to a systemic issue that's probably above the head football coach. Wonder if/when anyone in the admin will take a look at that.

tx.state wrote:
Ya that's the situation that I'd like as well. Bitter JMU fans were saying that Withers wasn't in it for the long haul...that he'd be gone in 3-4 years to a better job...as if that was a bad thing. That's ideal.

In 3-4 years you won enough games at TXST that someone else wants to hire you - awesome. Let's go get the next guy. Even really good coaches get stale after staying too long at the same school.

Does anyone have confidence in our ability to make solid hiring decisions for head coaching positions at this point? Again, to have the level of success we want we need a more talented person directing the entire department.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

How can the problem be anything other than the head football coach when other sports are "having great success" and "numerous conference championships"....

Oh ya, we never got an explanation on that one...

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:57 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
The extended amount of losing this program has consistently seen for years points to a systemic issue that's probably above the head football coach. Wonder if/when anyone in the admin will take a look at that.

What kind of issues would the administration be "adding" that contributes to a systemic losing culture aside from lack of accountability?

I mean, short of undermining the coach by overriding his decisions, or trying to prevent scholarships to players the coach believes will help... I just don't know what kind of pressure the administration can exert.

I personally believe that the athletic department is run like a typical governmental agency. No accountability, no pressure to excel... Just don't cause problems.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Agree on the lack of accountability. Frankly, I put that responsibility squarely on our (the fans) shoulders. We don't have a big enough fan base demanding enough to put any pressure on the athletic administration. 20 people bitching on Bobcatfans isn't enough for anyone to care.

Two of the biggest issues I've seen from the athletic department in the last decade were the hirings of Brad Wright and Doug Davalos. That period after Bailiff left seemed to be a critical one as we just sniffed a bit of success for the first time in 20 years, then we immediately squandered it all away. The Davalos hire was especially bad. The guy simply had no business coaching D1 basketball.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:27 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

And I understand the Wright hire, even though I don't agree with it.

We just had our first sniff of success and Bailiff (from my understanding of the situation) threatened to not only take the entire staff, but also every recruit he could flip if they didn't retain Wright. I am hoping that Bailiff was doing that because he believed in Wright, and not because he was pissed at Teis and was trying to screw him.

Now, in retrospect, the hiring was a HORRIBLE hire, and we should have went ahead and did a proper search. But I can understand the rationale, which is a far cry from the majority of decisions the athletic department makes.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah and I've said that before too. The recommendation of a coach leaving for bigger things under good circumstances holds some weight. Bailiff is the only coach we've had in some time that hasn't left town in disgrace for his failures. It still wasn't a good hire though.

One thing people tend to forget about David Bailiff at TXST is he was here for 3 seasons and put up 2 losing seasons. 21-15 (10-6 Southland) isn't exactly killing it. Compared to the previous 20 years though it was at the time. He was 10-12 overall if you remove 2005 from the equation.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:46 pm