Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 TXST Lacrosse 2017 
Author Message
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4360
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
Colt Golden wrote:
The private schools have no mandate that the coach must be a full time employee. They are governed by their own organizations. I do not want to see a system like Lousy Anna has, where private schools rule the day.

the two things you're talking about here are not related.

in most states, coaches don't have to be district/school employees. that allows schools to bring in a higher caliber of coach, which enriches the program. go look at the caliber of wrestling programs across this state - 90% of them are terrible. the thsca lobby keeps that mandate alive so their marginal coaches can keep their pay up instead of losing jobs to outside coaches. by and large, that's a football thing - all those assistant coaches need to make their spring stipend coaching track or baseball or whatever.

how private schools are governed varies from state-to-state, and in many states, they are fully integrated into the public school system with no issues at all. louisiana isn't a typical state in this regard as the public schools are so terribly funded and the private schools have filled the void. that's a state funding issue specific to la.
Colt Golden wrote:
Why Not! Title IX is more pertinent to TXST Football than TXST Lacrosse 2017. LMFAO!!!

then feel free to start a thread about how title ix affects football. there isn't enough traffic on this board to be a thread-nazi over a lacrosse topic on the football board. there is a single lacrosse thread for each season and it's our most successful sport on campus, so most folks appreciate following along a winning program that runs itself, with next to no support from the school.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Last edited by Saul Goodman on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:06 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4360
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
tx.state wrote:
What's the pay range for someone liking Torkington at TXST (and where does the money come from)? It can't be much but it's probably good experience for him to run his own program on his way up.

i have no clue. as close as i am to the program, and the coaching fraternity, that's something i've never asked about. i'll poke around and ask, because i'm kind of curious as well.

i do know the reason we were able to pull such a high quality coach is that his brother is on the team. must be a freshman, because i don't see him on last year's roster.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:10 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 6060
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
The privates aren't held to the same standards exactly as their competition. They can recruit and scholarship the best kids off of every team and therefor have an advantage. Certainly isn't apples to apples.

_________________
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." ~Mark Twain


Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:32 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4360
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
and yet, neither private uil school in the state (dallas & strake jesuit) a title in any sport before this year, when dallas jesuit won the 6a baseball title in uil and lacrosse in thsll.

losing half the league to go uil isn't a positive for the sport in the state.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:53 am
Profile
Junior Bobcat

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:04 am
Posts: 67
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
Saul Goodman wrote:
and yet, neither private uil school in the state (dallas & strake jesuit) a title in any sport before this year, when dallas jesuit won the 6a baseball title in uil and lacrosse in thsll.

losing half the league to go uil isn't a positive for the sport in the state.


Because the Jesuit schools don't cheat. Other privates would, with the theory of "if you are not cheating you are not trying."


Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:29 pm
Profile
Junior Bobcat

Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:04 am
Posts: 67
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
Colt Golden wrote:
Why Not! Title IX is more pertinent to TXST Football than TXST Lacrosse 2017. LMFAO!!!

then feel free to start a thread about how title ix affects football. there isn't enough traffic on this board to be a thread-nazi over a lacrosse topic on the football board. there is a single lacrosse thread for each season and it's our most successful sport on campus, so most folks appreciate following along a winning program that runs itself, with next to no support from the school.[/quote]

You made my underlying point! The only way you get your lacrosse topic seen is by putting in on the football board. However, you are wrong about the number of folks following the winning club program. While most folks would rather have our club team win than lose, they do not follow it. We will get more hits on this thread because we are going back and forth, not because they are interested in Iroquois culture.

You would also get more hits if you were inclusive of the TitleIX debate on your thread.


Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:38 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4360
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
Colt Golden wrote:
While most folks would rather have our club team win than lose, they do not follow it.

they absolutely do, through these annual threads.
TXST Lacrosse 2016
TXST Lacrosse - 2015
TXST Lacrosse - 2014
2013 Bobcat Lacrosse

i'm not concerned w/ hits, so again, this is the lacrosse thread, so please stick to lacrosse.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:00 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 6060
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
I think that the last thing I heard regarding Lacrosse becoming UIL was that the 5 and 6A schools could adopt without involving the other more economically challenged smaller schools. Places like Frisco that have 10 or so high schools who basically create their own district in football could easily benefit from UIL. They have, or at least had, the largest club in Texas but still only play with a Single High School program. That's a lot of kids left out of the mix. And because of that, only pull from about 3 of those high schools to build their team.

Think Saul is correct though. I don't see it happening at least in the near future. The politics behind high school football is too powerful in Texas. However, lacrosse keeps growing in popularity and you never know how that will play a role. Think that the Club teams won't want it and the Athletic Depts wont want it. It only benefits the impoverished and they don't even know what lacrosse is.

_________________
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." ~Mark Twain


Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:19 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 6060
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
tx.state wrote:
x wrote:
Have I said on here before just how much I hate title IX? Georgia State had to shut their Men's Track & Field and Men's Cross Country teams down in order to start football. Just seems counterproductive to me sometimes.


Title IX problems run far deeper than just equal scholarship requirements/opportunities.

In regard to Title IX regulations, the US Dept of Education Civil Rights Office sent this letter to schools and universities in 2011:
http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201104.pdf

It directs schools to convict accused persons of sexual assault on a mere "preponderance" of evidence rather than "clear and convincing" evidence. It also directs schools to not allow accused students to cross-examine their accusers, as well as gives guidance for a bunch of bogus procedural policies regarding the handling of sexual assault cases.

If Title IX is ever repealed/superseded/overturned - it will be because of this, not so much because of the athletics side of it.


I'm sure that his pay is listed somewhere but most of these guys don't take these jobs for the income. A guy who comes into TXST from a D1 School is trying to take a program from good to really good and make a name for himself so he can use us as a stepping stone to a real job. I'm actually excited about this hire.

_________________
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." ~Mark Twain


Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:27 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4360
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
Quote:
We are the 2016 #CowboyCup Champions. Thank you to everyone who came out to support us and to Victory Event Series for putting on a great tournament.

Image

Image

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:36 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 6060
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
Not sure if this has been posted or not but here is the link to the 17 schedule if anyone is interested. Doesn't look like I'll be making any of these games this year. Not good.

http://mcla.us/team/texas_state/2017/schedule.html

_________________
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." ~Mark Twain


Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:11 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4360
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
horrible ooc slate. going to freaking kansas for spring break to play ku and nebraska back-to-back? yuk.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:20 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 6060
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
Well we freakin lost to the damn agg holes 11-15. Looks like we played a man down for most or the game. Read through the twitter feed and penalty after penalty. Didn't see much on the A&M side. Playing them at home makes me wonder. I believe we kept our FOGO and one of our Goalies. Curious about this game and what we struggled with.

edit: not sure when everyone else starts practicing but TXST started on Jan 26th which didn't leave a lot of time for a new team to get comfortable. Might be the reason for all of the penalties. shot in the dark

_________________
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." ~Mark Twain


Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:35 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4360
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
not much practice time, new coach, new offensive philosophy, lost a ton of seniors, including most of the defense. didn't follow on twitter, but i was surprised a the score. the aggies had been so bad for so long i guess i'm discounting their last couple of seasons when they've been more competitive.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:56 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 4360
Reply with quote
Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
Image

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:26 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group