TXST Lacrosse 2017 
True Bobcat Fan

Post TXST Lacrosse 2017
Torkington Hired at Texas State

SAN MARCOS, Texas – The Texas State University men’s lacrosse program named Stephen Torkington as its new head coach on Thursday. Torkington replaces Kyle Saunders, who resigned at the end of the 2016 season.

“I couldn’t be more excited to take this position in my first role as a head coach,” Torkington said. “I would like to thank everyone with Texas State that was involved in this process. From the current players, assistant coaches, alums and former head coaches, I can tell how much they love Texas State University and this program. I'm excited to bring my knowledge and expertise to an already strong program and team culture.”

Torkington joins Texas State after a one-year stint as an assistant at the University of Michigan, where he worked with the goalies and ran the box.

“Steve has a great lacrosse mind and a passion for the game and for coaching,” said Michigan head coach John Paul. “I have no doubt he will help Texas State lacrosse reach their goals.”

Prior to joining Michigan, Torkington was an offensive assistant at Mercer (Ga.) University, helping the Bears win the Atlantic Sun Conference championship in 2014. He started his coaching career at Pfeiffer (N.C.), where he ran the Falcons’ offense, guiding them to a 43-25 record during his tenure.

Torkington earned his undergraduate degree from Wingate (N.C.), where he was a two-time all-conference selection and just the fourth player in program history to earn All-American accolades in 2008.

The Coronado, Calif., native earned a Master’s degree in higher education administration from Mercer.

Torkington will be taking the reins of a Texas State program that finished as the runner-up in the Lone Star Alliance tournament in 2016 with an 11-3 record. The Bobcats won the LSA title in 2010 and ’15, qualifying for the 16-team MCLA National Championships powered by Under Armour.

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:47 pm
SuperCat

Post Re: TXST Lacrosse 2017
Well, let's hope he doesn't run one of our few good sports programs into the ground.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:37 am
True Bobcat Fan

highly doubtful. pretty good get for us to pick up a coach w/ experience at 2 d1 programs. we'll keep the same assistant coaches we had last year - recent bobcat grads patrick franklin and jason digiovani.

http://mcla.us/player/27696/patrck_franklin.html
http://mcla.us/player/24106/jason_digiovanni.html

i'm pretty excited to get this guy, as i was really worried we wouldn't be able to get a qualified coach. not easy to get a good lacrosse coach outside of a major city, for club pay.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:50 am
True Bobcat Fan

A little off topic but....

I spoke with someone the other day who had conversations with league officials (sorry for being vague) who said that they see Lacrosse becoming both a UIL approved and scholarship granting sport in Texas. He said that the window is between 5 and 8 years out and Title 9 is the challenge.

Even if it did happen (which I doubt), TXST would be hard pressed to jump in the mix. I believe it costs somewhere in the range of a million bucks to afford and we aint rich.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

From a competitive standpoint we seem like we'd be well positioned to start.

Obviously if we can't afford to start a new men's varsity program we will be passed up almost immediately by those that can.

Have I said on here before just how much I hate title IX? Georgia State had to shut their Men's Track & Field and Men's Cross Country teams down in order to start football. Just seems counterproductive to me sometimes.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

people have been saying that for 20+ years, but it's not going to happen. you can blame high school football coaches.

going uil means only district employees can be coaches for varsity sports. going uil means that none of the coaches currently coaching, can coach going forward. sports go uil when reps for the sport lobby uil for it to become a uil sport. that's not a big hurdle these days. 30 yrs ago, the prevailing mindset w/ the uil was that a sport needed to be widespread across the state for inclusion, but that changed w/ the *shocking* revelation/realization that just because a sport is uil sanctioned, doesn't mean it's required.

that's how wrestling came on board in late 90s. still only a tiny fraction of schools have wrestling, but why not have it uil if schools want it?

lacrosse has grown on it's own and very, very well. i'd love to see it a uil sport, if they lifted the district employee requirement.

there's also the private school issue. outside of dallas jesuit, there's not a private school that plays uil - they are mostly spc (not sure if any tapps?). go uil and you're cutting out the majority of top programs in the state.

that's the hs/uil side.

Last edited by Saul Goodman on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
Have I said on here before just how much I hate title IX? Georgia State had to shut their Men's Track & Field and Men's Cross Country teams down in order to start football. Just seems counterproductive to me sometimes.

then they shouldn't have a football team. college football would be much better w/ half as many football teams. it's an absolutely overvalued sport in our culture. given the sheer volume of bodies it takes to field a halfway decent program, and the costs associated w/ that, it's simply bad business.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

on the college/scholarship level: southwestern is a d3 program and i'd bet your life that they find aid for plenty of players - it was a strategic move for them as a university to add men's lacrosse. if patterson had stayed at texas, m/w lacrosse was getting added. no chance now w/ that position changing again soon. the only other programs that are positioned to go varsity are txst and smu. we have the player/student profile, at opposite ends of the spectrum (richie rich/prep school vs blue collar/rough around the edges), to pull in both texas and out of state players.

it's not going to happen here. we know this. i have no clue about smu, and their program has had weird things going on the last couple of years, so i would doubt it happens, but they would crush if they wanted to.

biggest challenge (outside of obvious): who to play? adding lacrosse means serious travel costs - unlike all the other non-revs, there's no one to play in texas. the closest teams are denver (american east w/ the big east hoops schools) and air force (socon, w/ the next closest member in macon, ga). conferences aren't exactly chomping at the bit to add travel costs for their members either. conferences: http://www.laxpower.com/update16/binmen ... onferences

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:

Title IX problems run far deeper than just equal scholarship requirements/opportunities.

In regard to Title IX regulations, the US Dept of Education Civil Rights Office sent this letter to schools and universities in 2011:
http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201104.pdf

It directs schools to convict accused persons of sexual assault on a mere "preponderance" of evidence rather than "clear and convincing" evidence. It also directs schools to not allow accused students to cross-examine their accusers, as well as gives guidance for a bunch of bogus procedural policies regarding the handling of sexual assault cases.

If Title IX is ever repealed/superseded/overturned - it will be because of this, not so much because of the athletics side of it.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

don't make this the title ix thread.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:12 pm
Junior Bobcat

Strake Jesuit in Houston is UIL and has a pretty decent lacrosse program, IIRC.

Title IX issues could be addressed by adding men's and women's lacrosse teams with equal funding. The bigger question then would be how to pay for travel to fill a schedule, with virtually no opponents nearby.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:58 pm
Junior Bobcat

Saul Goodman wrote:

Why Not! Title IX is more pertinent to TXST Football than TXST Lacrosse 2017. LMFAO!!!

Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:02 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:

Ya my bad; I agree. Saul has been bringing the TXST Lacrosse coverage for as long as I've been on BCF...didn't mean to hijack the thread.

What's the pay range for someone liking Torkington at TXST (and where does the money come from)? It can't be much but it's probably good experience for him to run his own program on his way up.

Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:12 am
Junior Bobcat

BobcatSideEye wrote:

Title IX issues could be addressed by adding men's and women's lacrosse teams with equal funding. The bigger question then would be how to pay for travel to fill a schedule, with virtually no opponents nearby.

While it is true the Jesuit schools are in the UIL, LaCrosse is not a sanctioned UIL sport. It is a club sport with a school sponser. The FFA shooting sports are not UIL governed; therefore, I can coach the kids without being a full time employee of the school.

Saul's point was that in Texas, unlike some other states, the coaches in the UIL sports must be full time employees of the school. Most of the time that means contract employees. I have seen teachers aids lose their coaching positions, because they were paid by the hour. Coaching involves to much time and OT for that. We used to demoralize ourselves by calculating how much we got paid an hour. Then we factored in the number of kids involved to see how much we got paid per kid/hr.

The private schools have no mandate that the coach must be a full time employee. They are governed by their own organizations. I do not want to see a system like Lousy Anna has, where private schools rule the day.

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatSideEye wrote:

strake jesuit isn't very good, which is why i didn't mention them. 4-8 last year, 7-8 in 2015, 11-8, 4-15. they went 15-7 in 2012, but only 4th in their district. dallas jesuit is the defending state champion, played in the finals two years ago, final 4 the 2 years before that. they have been a power for 15+yrs.

BobcatSideEye wrote:
Title IX issues could be addressed by adding men's and women's lacrosse teams with equal funding.

this is exactly what would happen. lacrosse isn't a particularly expensive sport from an operations/equipment/facilities standpoint, and the women's game even less so. also, in terms of available high school athletes in state, the girl's game is well ahead of the boy's as far how many are legit contributors at the college level. texas high schools are putting boys into big time programs the last couple of years, but the girls have been doing it since 2000.

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:52 am