BobcatFans.com
http://bobcatfans.com/

Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
http://bobcatfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26847
Page 3 of 5

Author:  Bobbumman [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

Losing to ULM. That's what it would take. The only team we've been able to hang with year in and year out even under Fran regime

Author:  lurker [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

Bobbumman wrote:
Losing to ULM. That's what it would take.


Bye Felicia.

Author:  JustinS09 [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

Bobbumman wrote:
Losing to ULM. That's what it would take. The only team we've been able to hang with year in and year out even under Fran regime

We lost by 6 points, and honestly should have had a pass interference call on that final play to give us another shot at the end zone. They literally threw our guy to the ground before the ball got there.

Smart play by them though. At worst it's a 15 yard penalty and you save the touchdown, at best, the refs blow the call and you win the game. Even the announcers were saying that ulm should interfere if it comes down to it.

Anyways, to say we didn't "hang" with them is moronic. Yes, we should have beat them, but if you're going to walk away from a program because of one loss, you're not the kind of fan we need anyways.

Author:  LT Spider [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

How long should a coach have to get his players and systems in place? I say three years. Others say six games.

Author:  Phratcatbocoloco [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

If it were evident that Withers was a good coach he was going to have to coach players beyond their ability all season long. He needed to win all the games he needed to win and also win a few that he wasn't supposed to win. He won Ohio, okay I'll give him that one wasn't one he was supposed to win but if for every game we win where aren't supposed to win he turns around and loses 2 games that he needed to win (GaSt and ULM) I really can't say that we are improving at all since Ohio and that is not acceptable. I'll change my opinion if he can beat ULL, Idaho and NMSU and either of 1 of the three we aren't supposed to win: stAte, App or Troy. If that doesn't happen I would expect us to stay a lot of the same in 2017,2018 and onward because we should be seeing improvement in withers second half of the season after giving him a 6-game pass

Author:  tx.state [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
because we should be seeing improvement in withers second half of the season after giving him a 6-game pass


You do realize that he has the same players in the second half of the season as the first half -- minus (at this point) 3 starters who are out for the year injured.

Author:  JustinS09 [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

Also, we don't have depth this year. We have a bunch of first year starters with no back up behind them. So, theoretically, we should actually get worse as the season goes on. Players get fatigued, and with no one to take their spot their play suffers.

I don't think the people on this board upset that we aren't winning more games right now, actually realize the horrible situation Fran left us in.

Fran had the talent and depth to have a great year last year and his coaching and leadership caused the losing we saw. Anyone paying attention knew that this was a rebuilding year with or without Fran as the coach. My guess is that after Fran couldn't win more than 3 games with the team he had last year, and knowing how bad our talent and depth would be this year, he got out while he still could. We all know Teis wasn't going to fire him...

Anyways, with all that said, we should be seeing results by year 3. I want to see an improvement in the win column from this year to next. Followed by 6, 7, or 8 wins in year 3. If he can't do that, there's no reason to be talking about year 4, but if he does, I want to see a push for the conference championship in year 4.

Author:  LT Spider [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

Justin nailed it

Author:  Phratcatbocoloco [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

tx.state wrote:
You do realize that he has the same players in the second half of the season as the first half


Maybe so but that doesn't excuse over 100 yards in penalties this far along in the season. That's one area that is a direct reflection of Withers. If he's coaching these players up that should not ever happen. That's the one thing he could have going for us. Discipline on the field isn't something Withers has instilled in his players and should have by now. Discipline was one thing he ra rawed about in his pressers that we would see in his team and we haven't

Author:  El Gato [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

Going off topic here, but I'll bite anyways on the previous 2-3 comments.

If Fran was still here, Georgia State a coin toss, think a win, and ULM is a win. After that, flip a coin with Idaho/New Mexico and that's likely it. Ohio would be a toss up (I think those guys just took us for granted. They shot themselves in the foot more that texas state whipped them) so you are looking at 5 maybe 6 wins this season, keeping in mind that if Fran were here you don't lose the 20 guys that were forced off or kicked off the team.

That said, the years after this one would be a continually 3-6 win seasons, with the occasional 7 win season maybe thrown in there. Withers loses now, but builds a solid foundation that has this team competing for conference championships down the road. That is the hope anyways, and my gut thus far is still telling me that this is accurate.

Author:  Bobcat87 [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
tx.state wrote:
You do realize that he has the same players in the second half of the season as the first half


Maybe so but that doesn't excuse over 100 yards in penalties this far along in the season. That's one area that is a direct reflection of Withers. If he's coaching these players up that should not ever happen. That's the one thing he could have going for us. Discipline on the field isn't something Withers has instilled in his players and should have by now. Discipline was one thing he ra rawed about in his pressers that we would see in his team and we haven't



Penalties do not always equate with a lack of discipline . . . . Penalties can be the result of inexperience, which we have an abundance of, or they could indicate that guys are mismatched, which we've seen on more than one occasion, or that guys are "gassed," lack of depth previously mentioned in this thread. Or some combination . . .
Take your pick . . .

Author:  Bobcat.taxman [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

JustinS09 wrote:

Anyways, with all that said, we should be seeing results by year 3. I want to see an improvement in the win column from this year to next. Followed by 6, 7, or 8 wins in year 3. If he can't do that, there's no reason to be talking about year 4, but if he does, I want to see a push for the conference championship in year 4.



Anyone going to jump on Justin for saying the exact same thing (in different words) than what I said earlier this season with the contract buyout question like y'all jumped on me? Hashtag just saying. 8)

Author:  x [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
JustinS09 wrote:

Anyways, with all that said, we should be seeing results by year 3. I want to see an improvement in the win column from this year to next. Followed by 6, 7, or 8 wins in year 3. If he can't do that, there's no reason to be talking about year 4, but if he does, I want to see a push for the conference championship in year 4.



Anyone going to jump on Justin for saying the exact same thing (in different words) than what I said earlier this season with the contract buyout question like y'all jumped on me? Hashtag just saying. 8)


Do you guys really believe Teis would/could buy Withers out 3 years into a 5 year contract???

What are we even talking about here???

Author:  tx.state [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

We're talking about buying out a contract 4 years from now for a coach who was hired 10 days before signing day, 5 games in to his TXST career.

Author:  Saul Goodman [ Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
He needed to win all the games he needed to win and also win a few that he wasn't supposed to win.

seems perfectly reasonable.

Page 3 of 5 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/