Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan? 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
So several of us at the office were eating lunch today. We are all pretty loyal to our respective alma maters, attend games, wear colors on Friday, routinely talk shit to each other, etc.

We got on the topic of program under-performance, controversies, etc. It led to an interesting discussion of what would actually cause us to essentially disavow our alma maters--to erase us as fans. It was prompted somewhat by discussions about Penn State & Baylor, but also wandered over into administrative incompetence, etc.

I thought it would make an interesting discussion on here: what would it take for you to actually walk away as a fan from Texas State?

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Lunch topic: what would make you walk away as a fan?
bleed gold wrote:
I thought it would make an interesting discussion on here: what would it take for you to actually walk away as a fan from Texas State?

Larry Teis becomes President of Texas State University.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

if over the next 3 years, there was no improvement under withers, teis was still the ad, the bun was still pres, and it was more of the same, i'd be out. i think i have a fairly low bar in what i want from our school and athletic program overall, so if you can't please me after 8 years, you're probably not doing a worthwhile job.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:43 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Larry has been here since 2004, as far as winning seasons go and as this is an institution of learning assigning letter grades shouldn't be entirely unheard of let's do a small report card for the good Dr.

Under Teis' tenure we currently stand at (Men's Sports):
Baseball - 9 winning seasons out of 12. Decent score - It's a "C"
Football - 4 winning seasons out of 11 (probably will go 4/12). Failure - Rock Solid "F"
Basketball - 1 winning season out of 12. Institutional Joke - "DNP" of "F"

To say that we put up with mediocrity is far too generous; we put up with full on Failure and come back for more every year.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

a winning season isn't a metric of success in my book.

7-5 isn't a successful season in football
16-15 isn't a successful season in basketball
30-29 isn't a successful season in baseball

that's the equivalent of barely keeping your head above water.

Last edited by Saul Goodman on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

cpwhite wrote:
Larry has been here since 2004, as far as winning seasons go and as this is an institution of learning assigning letter grades shouldn't be entirely unheard of let's do a small report card for the good Dr.

Under Teis' tenure we currently stand at (Men's Sports):
Baseball - 9 winning seasons out of 12. Decent score - It's a "C"
Football - 4 winning seasons out of 11 (probably will go 4/12). Failure - Rock Solid "F"
Basketball - 1 winning season out of 12. Institutional Joke - "DNP" of "F"

To say that we put up with mediocrity is far too generous; we put up with full on Failure and come back for more every year.

"... we put up with full on Failure and come back for more every year." You Sir, have hit the nail on the head . . .

The only constant with re: to Bobcat Athletics, is year in and year out SUCKAGE . . . . Not that anyone cares, but I for one am tired of giving my time and money to a program that could care less about Winning . . . .

I don't blame Withers for the dumpster fire that is Bobcat Football, that's on Larry and Fran, but as a Fan, I'm just tired of the constant losing . . . Over years . .. make that decades . . . .with no sign of improvement in sight . . .

I figure Withers needs a least 2 more years to make this thing respectable . . . If he stays tha long . . . Kaspar's had what, 3 years, and BB still looks like a dumpster fire . . . . and Baseball, I would also give it a C . . .

Aside from losing, the only constant with this Athletic Program, is constant Underperfformance . . . . I really can't fault any fan for being sick of this s$&t show and walking away . . . . Why I keep coming back, I don't know . . I must be a closet Masochist . . . .

Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I don't even really care that we're losing in those sports, I just care that the leadership seems absolutely content with losing.

Like, when is the AD going to finally say enough is enough? Just fucking win already! If what you're currently doing is not producing wins, then change something up.

Back to the op's question, I'm not sure that anything will make me stop being a fan. This is my school. I went to Texas State! Not any other school. I just wish my alma mater would return the dedication and loyalty that I've given them.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Part of what prompted this is that one of my co-worker's brothers went to Baylor, and remains fervent that they should fire their current coach and rehire Briles. We all collectively agreed that his brother is an idiot, and that we would have walked away from the program had it been our university trying to hide the issues going on at Baylor.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:14 pm
SuperCat

I know I will catch hell for this, but I walked away from this place for years after the name change. Budding nostalgia has inched me back toward the ol' alma mater.

Commence attack phase.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:36 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatSideEye wrote:
I know I will catch hell for this, but I walked away from this place for years after the name change. Budding nostalgia has inched me back toward the ol' alma mater.

Commence attack phase.

Attack? Quite the opposite. Welcome back, and btw, go get all your buddies too please...

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:33 am
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatSideEye wrote:

Commence attack phase.

Fantastic! I did the same for a year or two.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:14 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Never. I'm a Bobcat through and through.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:45 am
Bobcat Wannabe

At this point... I doubt anything could make me walk away forever. We've gone through a lot of ups and downs as a program and in the 16 years I've been a Bobcat I still keep coming back and showing the support for my Alma Matter.

It's a shame we haven't progressed much in that time. I don't know if the admins are complacent because the fans are so used to poor performance and don't care to put any pressure on them, or if there is some other reason why we can't seem to get our act together.

*Aside*

I just realized I had a dyslexic moment this morning when I registered and entered my name as BakerTXTS04 instead of BakerTXST04. Are there any mods available that could please fix my mistake? Thanks in advance!

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:06 am
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatSideEye wrote:

glad to have a namergater back! it's a phenomenon i can't comprehend, so i'm thrilled when one of y'all lets go and comes back to support the school/athletics.
BakerTXTS04 wrote:
I just realized I had a dyslexic moment this morning when I registered and entered my name as BakerTXTS04 instead of BakerTXST04. Are there any mods available that could please fix my mistake? Thanks in advance!

no mods here. with only 1 post, your best bet is to start over w/ the username you want. go into your current account and change the email address first though, as it likely won't let you create another account under the same email.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:40 am
True Bobcat Fan

I am an odd duck in that I never attended any bobcat sporting event when I was a student. I transferred in and never got into it. Huge sports fan in general. I always said that I would start following the team if they went D1 and did so. I have been attending games of all three major men's sports over the last few years but held off on season tickets because of Fran. I was actually a student at ATM when he was hired there.

This year I joined the bobcat club, bought season tickets, and will continue to attend baseball and basketball games. I am in a weird place in that I want change and improvement but also like all three major sports coaches. Baseball and basketball will need to see improvement and quickly for that to stay the same.

I don't know what would make me walk away. I have two degrees from this place as does my wife. I know the progress is too slow for us, but its nice to take a step back and see where this school is now compared to when I stepped foot on campus right after the name change.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:29 pm