A Fever Dream ESPN Recap of Texas State vs. Ohio 
True Bobcat Fan

Post A Fever Dream ESPN Recap of Texas State vs. Ohio
From the recesses of my fertile mind...this segment appears right after the opening piece highlighting Texas' dominating upset over Notre Dame...join me now, in the Theater of the Absurd...

Welcome to ESPN's College Gameday Final!

REECE DAVIS: The Longhorns weren't the only team from the Lone Star State victorious in an upset today -- the Texas State Bobcats, home field 40 miles from Austin in San Marcos, Texas, defied the oddsmakers and posted an IMPRESSIVE victory over the Ohio University Bobcats in Athens, Ohio. Let's jump right into the action...

MARK MAY: First-year head coach Everitt Withers brought his Sun Belt squad into Athens ready to play, despite being more than 20-point underdogs. Senior quarterback Tyler Jones, the pride of Stephenville, Texas, set the tone by engineering a 95-yard opening drive, culminating in a 22-yard touchdown pass to juco transfer Elijah King. Offensive coordinator Brett Elliot, who followed Withers to Texas State from James Madison University, has installed an up-tempo offense that evenly mixed medium and long passes with dominating running by backs Stedman Mayberry and Tyler Tutt. The two combined for 272 yards on the ground between them; they and the surprisingly stout offensive line dominated Ohio throughout.

LOU HOLTZ (I know he isn't on the announcing team this season, but it's my fever dream)
A lot of people don't know Coach Withers, but he has an impressive pedigree, with stops as a defensive coordinator at Ohio State and North Carolina, and head coaching experience as an interim at North Carolina and at FCS James Madison University, where he put together back-to-back 9-win seasons.

MARK MAY: Texas State lost 18 players after Withers took over, but those that have remained are tough, disciplined and hard hitting. The defense today held Ohio to a mere 175 yards of total offense, while defensive coordinator Randall McCray's unit forced 4 turnovers -- and the offense converted all four of those into touchdowns.

LOU HOLTZ: Texas State is very thin along both lines and very, very young -- but they performed way above their heads today, and by necessity lots of freshmen and transfers saw playing time. CUT TO VIDEO: Here's an example -- senior nose tackle Dallas McClarty collapses the pocket, fighting off a double team, with junior college transfer Gabe Loyd crashing in off the edge, disrupting Ohio's rhythm and forcing a poor decision by the quarterback. Senior safety Javante O'Roy makes a great play to snag the bad pass and has a magnificent return deep into Ohio territory. From there it was on to the end zone with freshman Tyler Tutt scoring his first college touchdown.

REECE DAVIS: One would not have known there were so many freshmen on the field for Texas State; the Bobcats looked like a veteran, battle-tested unit. Withers may be on to something in San Marcos, as his Bobcats defeated the Ohio University Bobcats 45-21. This game, by the way, was the first ever meeting of twin Bobcat mascots in FBS history.

MARK MAY: The Texas State hashtag this year is #PartyInTheEndZone. If Texas State maintains this level of effort, they'll be a team to watch among the Sun Belt and in the G5.

VIDEO WITH WITHERS: We came in today focused on ourselves, on the effort we've put in from the spring all the way through fall camp. Didn't make any difference to us who was on the other side of the line -- we took care of our business. Still lots to work on, lots to work on, but it's a good win. I'm happy for the kids, to see them understand how it feels to perform at a high level like this.

VIDEO WITH MCCRAY: Oh Lord, we had so many missed assignments today, we have a LONG way to go...but I promised the kids and the Texas State fans that if they played with fanatical effort and everybody ran to the ball, good things would happen. We want to be a 'hair on fire' kinda defense, and we've still got a LOT to learn...but you have to feel good about forcing four turnovers, and our offense did a great job converting those into 7s rather than 3s.

REECE DAVIS: Texas State's opening schedule is brutal -- off next week before a trip to Arkansas and then the home opener in San Marcos against Houston, yet ANOTHER Texas team that won on opening day. I guarantee Arkansas, Houston and the rest of the teams in the Sun Belt are paying attention now, if they weren't before. Congratulations to Coach Withers and his squad for a great performance today.

:cat:

Last edited by ATX_Harley_Bobcat on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: A Fever Dream ESPN Recap of Texas State vs. Ohio

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
ATX_Harley_Bobcat wrote:
The Longhorns weren't the only team from the Lone Star State victorious in an upset today :cat:

...Not.

Go Irish!

PS
I got tickets to the ND v TX game bee-otches! ... Annnnd I was there in South Bend last season for the ND beat down on the Horns.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Someone's excited.

I love the beginning of the season. It's always a blissful feeling to be undefeated...

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

and this might be the best 1st weekend slate of games i can remember. pretty stoked about saturday all around.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I have friends coming to town from Houston that are floating the river Saturday and Sunday. I told them I'm busy on Saturday. I don't really have shit to do, but I have about 18 hours worth of college football to watch that day. And I sure as hell ain't missing our opener.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:01 pm
SuperCat

That's a great fevered dream ATX. Did Jennifer Anniston or Cindy Crawford show up? They always do in my fevered dreams.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
Someone's excited.

I was very drunk at the time, and though fictional, this may be the best press we get all year. HAH!

Oh, and RT -- my fever dream companion of choice is Kate Beckinsale.

:cat:

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

SS_Classof_88 wrote:
I got tickets to the ND v TX game bee-otches! ... Annnnd I was there in South Bend last season for the ND beat down on the Horns.

fraternity brother started messaging me today saying he was coming to the game, asking about tailgating, and asks if i want tickets....it they're free, i'm in! 15 min later, 2 lower level tickets in my inbox. just looked on stubhub - $400 ea :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Little last minute but those of you going to UT game tonight and need transportation. In the absence of Uber/Lyft help a fellow Bobcat out, download the Fare app -and use the code William116. Fare also works in San Marcos as well. Have fun.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:01 pm
Junior Bobcat

Wuz up with the score and did Tutt play?

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

judoace06 wrote:
Wuz up with the score and did Tutt play?

Tutt didn't play. He had a concussion the week prior and Worrell really stepped up his game during that time.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:45 am