Last shots and moving forward 
SuperCat

Post Last shots and moving forward
Fran and his jacked up staff laid an egg last year. The coaches and kids quit on him, injury excuses be damn. The uninspired play should have had him canned. Maybe, behind the scenes that is what happened, but it should have happened sooner if that was the case. Anyway, I hope Fran has a healthy retirement and he will be in my rearview.

I reserve the right to continue to fire shots at Larry. He and his father that adopted him, Karl, are to reactive and do not have the proper vision to help our university. I believe two years of being bowl eligible and staying at home had a huge part in our downfall last year. Larry, has dropped the ball enough (I believe his ties with Karl are the worst) that he should be gone. President Trauth, I will be donating to the Bobcat Club long after you two are gone; but, only at the minimum level for my seats as long as Larry is around. Anything more will be a waste.

Moving forward I will be focusing on our play for the next twelve games. My expectations are not huge. Realistically, we might only win one this year. Five might be our ceiling. I just want to see us play with enthusiasm and be well coached. I know a little about X's and O's. I understand that the coach who has the chalk last has the best scheme and the correct adjustments. These college coaching staffs should have schemes that have the answers to everything they see over the year. However, these young adults that they teach can only handle so much. Even if you get 'em in the right spots playing with proper techniques they can get out athleted (new word combo meaning the other guy is just that much better).

I am happy to support our young men on the field and will continue to do so no matter what. I admit that I am envious of their situations and would have given my left ... for their athleticism and opportunity. I am thankful that I have a chance to get to watch my Cats on TV and I plan on watching/rewatching play after play. Yes, I am a crazed fan and I love it!!! A true Bobcat fanatic. Can't wait until Saturday!!!

Eat 'em Up Cats!

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Last shots and moving forward
Good stuff Colt!

It's crazy how the anticipation compared to last year is so different.

Last year hopes were fairly high in terms of expected record. Yes, opening against FSU was a tall task but there was a slight belief they could make a respectable showing.

This year...knowing more behind-the-scenes information, going all the way back to the beginning of last season through end of fall camp now....

The anticipation now leans more toward the "how bad are we going to be" variety.

I'm still in full support of the team and want them to have success - especially for those graduating that have put in the hard work.

A part of me though, feels that TXST missed out on or didn't take advantage of the springboard that the Drive to FBS provided.

As you say though Colt....Moving Forward!

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:18 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

txstlinds wrote:
Good stuff Colt!

It's crazy how the anticipation compared to last year is so different.
Last year hopes were fairly high in terms of expected record. Yes, opening against FSU was a tall task but there was a slight belief they could make a respectable showing.

You know the showing against FSU wasn't that bad. Also something similar at a home game back in the WAC days against LA Tech and even Texas Tech at their place. IMO I feel like the approach to those games was never consistantly applied to other games...kind of just gave up.

I think Fran was a great coach at one time and we saw flashes of that during his tenure, but maybe really he was just past his time, and he didn't try every game like he did in those particular situations.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We looked fine through the USM game last year. Unfortunately we came out of that game with a pile of injured bodies and went into the UH game vs. a team that was much better than we knew at the time with half our team out injured.

We got absolutely throttled in that game and everyone from the coaching staff to the players just quit (one of the coaches literally quit) on the rest of the season. That UH game completely killed our morale and Fran didn't have the energy or the capability to fix it. The rest is history.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

El Gato, we couldn't stop the run against FSU. The only reason it was close somewhat close in the first half was because FSU didn't run it every down.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

El Gato wrote:
I think Fran was a great coach at one time

we can get into the semantics of "great" again if y'all want to, but i never understood this line of thinking. the numbers simply don't bear that out in any way, shape or form.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

txstlinds wrote:
Last year hopes were fairly high in terms of expected record.

We have quite a few ignorant fans.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

cpwhite wrote:
txstlinds wrote:
Last year hopes were fairly high in terms of expected record.

We have quite a few ignorant fans.

Ha. Apparently 99% of us then.

Pretty much everyone had fairly high expectations going into 2015.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

no kidding, x. no reason to think last year's team shouldn't have won 7, and potentially 8, games in the regular season.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I had us going 4-8 on the Rivals thread last year in the preseason predictions. It seemed completely obvious to me and you are correct most people for some reason could not see the obvious truth. Sad.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

a rash of injuries and fran reneging on his agreement to stay out of the playcalling was completely obvious?

i thought 7 wins was pretty much a given w/ a healthy team and the playcalling we had at the end of 2014 when fran butted out of the offense.

at the beginning of camp, we were a better team than: pvam, usm, usa, nmsu, gast, ulm and idaho

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Great thing about America is the freedom to believe in whatever you want!

Good luck on Saturday Bobcats!!! :eatemup:

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
El Gato wrote:
I think Fran was a great coach at one time

we can get into the semantics of "great" again if y'all want to, but i never understood this line of thinking. the numbers simply don't bear that out in any way, shape or form.

i didnt want to scroll more, but GD he won with LT. He does good, or something

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Here's my 2 cents:

Fran was our best option when we hired him. I saw him win big games at A&M but also lose just as many of those big games at A&M too. I knew exactly what TXST was getting in Fran and that was a deal not because he's a great coach; rather, for the salary we could offer. He led 3 DI-AA players to the NFL (Bartu, Morris, Mager) and Mayo from DI. He has a 6-6 season and a 7-5 season in his 5 seasons but it ended horribly last year. And YES, injuries did play a role. There aren't many teams other than Bama that could lose as many starters that we did and continue to win. Remember, he took a team with less than 85 ships and only had 3 OL on ship.

He built a team like he knew how too... problem is that way is the old way and it showed. I agree that it didn't seem like we continued to improve either in recruiting or as a team but if we know one thing about Fran... its that he sticks to his philosophy regardless of what happens. Wish him well.

It seems we've brought in a coach that does things his way (no surprise), uses social media to his advantage, and recruits for "his" player philosophy ala Urban Meyer style.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:55 pm
SuperCat

George O'Leary gets a statue.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:49 pm