New Names on the Texas State Roster 
True Bobcat Fan

Post New Names on the Texas State Roster
So, the rosters were updated for the fall and there are a BUNCH of new names that I have never heard of, nor were they mentioned by any of the press.

Preferred Walk On Quarterback Tyler Ward is not on the roster despite being given a profile by Keff.

Anyways, here are the new entries. It's interesting that a lot of them are freshmen out of high school -- i'm not sure if they're walk-ons or what.

- Brendon Ndlovu, CB, Fr, Ranchview High School

- Greg Peace, CB, TR-So, Bowie High School, Cisco CC

- Samuel Azie, DE, Fr, Bush High School

- Jon Smith, DT, TR-So, Garden City CC

- Brett Kocian, K, TR-Jr, Blinn (? Not completely sure if he's new or not).

- Tanner Hillard, LB, Fr., West Brook High School

- Austin Closs, OL, So., Brazosport High School

- Tanner Hodges, QB, TR-So, Fullerton College

- Jericho Worrell, RB, TR-Jr, Allan Hancock CC

- Eric Cauble, S, Fr, Marble Falls HS

- Luke Kretschmer, TE, Fr, Magnolia West High School

- Hutch White, WR, Fr, Tivy High School

Can Freshman walk on to the team? I was always under the impression that only current students could walk-on, with freshman given a PWO role. I have interest in the new QB addition, he has a decent frame. Not sure how he actually plays, but the mold may be there.

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:13 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: New Names on the Texas State Roster
I'm rooting for Jericho!
great name

Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

- Brendon Ndlovu, CB, Fr, Ranchview High School (5-6 140, not much on him. no hudl. Could be a return guy or slot based on size.)

- Greg Peace, CB, TR-So, Bowie High School, Cisco CC (5-10, 170? and runs a 4.51 40)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1752662/greg-peace

- Samuel Azie, DE, Fr, Bush High School (6-1, 247 and liked his hudl)
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3933720/572 ... 1b007edfda

- Jon Smith, DT, TR-So, Garden City CC (not a lot on him, 6-2 280)

- Brett Kocian, K, TR-Jr, Blinn (? Not completely sure if he's new or not).
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/776469/brett-kocian

- Tanner Hillard, LB, Fr., West Brook High School (6-0, 208, 4.95 40)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2197026/tanner-hilliard

- Austin Closs, OL, So., Brazosport High School (Well there is at least one OL guy in there. 6-3, 300 lbs and runs a 5.45 40 according to his hudl. Might be able to contribute this year.)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2099812/austin-closs

- Tanner Hodges, QB, TR-So, Fullerton College (6-3, 220 lbs, 4.7 40, Pro style)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/487446/tanner-hodges

- Jericho Worrell, RB, TR-Jr, Allan Hancock CC (6-0, 208, 4.40 40)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/856265/jericho-worrell
[color=#FF0000]Not sure why any kid with that size and runs a 4.4 would not be offered by someone. curious if the 4.4 is legit.

- Eric Cauble, S, Fr, Marble Falls HS (6-2, 185 lbs, 4.5 40)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3163441/eric-cauble

- Luke Kretschmer, TE, Fr, Magnolia West High School (6-2 230 lbs)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4098381/luke-kretschmer
Think this guy could see some play time this year. Has played OLB in a 3-4

- Hutch White, WR, Fr, Tivy High School (6-1, 185, 4.62 40)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1826448/hunter-white
High need so could see some play time.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:01 am
True Bobcat Fan

Larry Teis wrote:
Can Freshman walk on to the team? I was always under the impression that only current students could walk-on, with freshman given a PWO role. I have interest in the new QB addition, he has a decent frame. Not sure how he actually plays, but the mold may be there.

Preferred walk-on: Coaches actively recruit but do not offer a scholarship. Instead, they offer a preferred walk-on, which basically guarantees a spot on the roster.

Regular walk-on: Texas State, like a lot of FBS school but not all, holds a try-out for active students before Spring Ball. There are restrictions for active students to even get a chance to try out (must be taking 12 hours, no academic probation, insurance, physical, etc.)

Incoming freshman can walk on, but they have to get approval from the coaching staff. They can't just show up on the first day of practice and expect to have a locker and equipment. If you want to walk-on as a freshman, you have to meet with the coaching staff during the summer and prove you're worthy of getting a roster spot. Most of all, they're looking for kids who are going to add some kind of value to the program - not deter. They're looking for overly hard workers, shows up on time, gets good grades, will give you a good look on scout team, etc. The coaches decision pretty much comes from sizing the kid up, speaking to him and his parents, and maybe calling his HS coach.

FBS schools have 85 scholarships but they also are limited to no more than 105 during the offseason. That means that if we have all 85 scholarships on campus (we don't), we can only workout with 105 during offseason workouts, two-a-days, and spring football. You can technically add more than the 105 during the course of the season, but no one does that. No one is going to add more walk-ons just during the season. Therefore there are roughly 30 walk-on spots available. The difference between preferred walk-on and regular is that a preferred is pretty well guaranteed a spot (unless they themselves mess it up), while a regular walk-on can be cut at any time. Technically a preferred walk-on can be cut anytime as well but I don't even think Withers would do that.

Walk-ons usually don't last too long. Depending on their ability/potential, many of them won't get any reps or looks during practice. They're mostly there to hold blocking dummies and run scout team. There are some success stories about walk-ons who became superstars (JJ Watt & Clay Matthews), but for every one of those stories, there are 100 more about walk-ons who quit before the end of the season. It's too much work to go through all those early morning workouts and practices and not get to play.

There is also a class system. I remember when I played college ball, the scholarship upperclassmen and underclassmen who were going to start got their equipment first, the best and newest equipment. Then it was scholarship underclassmen. Then it was prefered walk-ons. Then the walk-ons got what was left over. I played D2 ball, so there was a big difference in the newest and nicest equipment vs what was left over. That probably isn't the case in bigger FBS schools. It's probably all new and nice. But that isn't the only example of the class system. The lunch line during two-a-days worked the same way.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:40 am
True Bobcat Fan

tx.state wrote:
There are some success stories about walk-ons who became superstars (JJ Watt & Clay Matthews)

while technically walk-ons, not really apples to apples. watt was a starting fbs scholarship player who transferred after talking to bielema and knowing there wasn't an open scholarship for him the 1st year - about as pwo as it gets. matthews is more legit as a walk-on example, but he never gets past the gates at usc if his father and uncle aren't trojan legends.

still, very valid point. the likelyhood of any of those guys ever seeing the field is minuscule at best. everyone wants to point at the outliers, but ignores the 99% that never see the field.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:33 am
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah Saul, a more realistic walk-on success story is a kid that plays on the scout team for three years and maybe gets some playing time on Kickoff and Punt teams - then in his Junior or Senior year gets rewarded with a scholarship and maybe some 3rd string TE duties...but I couldn't name any of those by name though.

Somewhere in the middle of that and JJ Watt is someone like Baker Mayfield - who walked-on at Tech (probably a PWO), and started two-a-days as 5th string and by the end of camp was 3rd string. After a few injuries (and Michael Brewer transfer I believe), he was starting as a true freshman walk-on.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i'd argue trey mcgowan has been our best player that's the closest to a walk-on lately. not sure he was on scholarship in '13.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:43 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
i'd argue trey mcgowan has been our best player that's the closest to a walk-on lately. not sure he was on scholarship in '13.

Didn't Odiari walk on from West Texas? I'm just asking.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:38 am
True Bobcat Fan

don't recall on him, but he did play immediately. that doesn't really have anything to do w/ whether or not he was a wo/pwo/scholarship guy, just something i noticed as different between he and mcgowan.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

I thought I posted on this but it must not have gone through yesterday.

I would not get your hopes up walk-ons will make any significant playing time this coming year. They could on the practice squad in helping us get better (Think the Rudy movie) but that would be it. Did walk-ons QB/WR Jack Rhoades, TE Garrett Kaiser, S Tyler Blades, RB AJ Krawczyk, DB Deon Daniels get many reps? Nope.

Its a building year and we need players that want the challenge and willing to take it with TXST like the PWO kids.

Here are a few other notes about TXST roster:
-PWO Jacob Fryrear listed as C (only other C than Cattaneo with Willie Williams listed as G/C)
-Quinn Tiggs back to being listed as CB (During spring was said to have moved to CB)
-Blue Shirt Gavin Graham (high school S) is listed as DB so that tells me he'll get looked at S and OLB (he's listed as 6'1/210 and Kumonde Hines was listed as 6'3/208).
-Blue Shirt Jeremy Miller 5'11/285 is listed as a DE (was a DT at previous college) so this tells me we need more size at DE and that he will not be playing (at least early in practice) as a NT.
-DT Jon Smith - didn't hear much about him but I do believe he's coming from the same CC that the JC WR kid that visited last week.
-2016 signee Aaron Brewer is listed as a G.
-Brett Kocian was on spring roster, I believe.
-LG Williams listed as QB/WR

As expected, we added some walk-ons from high school mostly but a few from JC ranks. I'm intrigued to see how any of these players can help us either on practice squad or in 3-deep (a pair + 1 as Coach Withers noted).

Its almost that time and I'm getting excited!

Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:

I would not get your hopes up walk-ons will make any significant playing time this coming year.

I agree mostly, but I think Hutch White and Jericho Worrell could see time playing. Their highlights are tremendous. Especially Hutch's. Hard to believe a guy like that fell threw the cracks.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:16 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

tx.state wrote:
Yeah Saul, a more realistic walk-on success story is a kid that plays on the scout team for three years and maybe gets some playing time on Kickoff and Punt teams - then in his Junior or Senior year gets rewarded with a scholarship and maybe some 3rd string TE duties...but I couldn't name any of those by name though.

Somewhere in the middle of that and JJ Watt is someone like Baker Mayfield - who walked-on at Tech (probably a PWO), and started two-a-days as 5th string and by the end of camp was 3rd string. After a few injuries (and Michael Brewer transfer I believe), he was starting as a true freshman walk-on.

Wasn't CJ Carroll (LB) a walk-on who went on to become one of our all-time leading tacklers?

Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Larry Teis wrote:
I agree mostly, but I think Hutch White and Jericho Worrell could see time playing. Their highlights are tremendous. Especially Hutch's. Hard to believe a guy like that fell threw the cracks.

worrell was a guy who's name popped up occasionally a couple of years ago, but was never a real target for anyone. a quick googling shows he verballed to mcneese state but never made it to nsd. went to blinn for a year, then allan hancock where he rs in 2014 then in 2015 had almost double the carries of the other 2 rb, but only a 3.8ypc compared to their 6.5 and 4.6. seems like there's at least something to work w/, but i'd bet there's a reason he's gone down that path.

http://www.buccaneersports.com/sports/f ... richo_n3s0
http://athletics.hancockcollege.edu/spo ... u?view=bio
http://athletics.hancockcollege.edu/spo ... =0&pos=off

i'd temper hutch's highlights by looking at who they are against. that's a terrible district full kids who aren't going to play football on saturdays. he's a sub-6', pretty athletic white kid rolling up less athletic white/brown kids. on the plus side, he played in an offense almost identical to ours, and he seems like a straight up football player, not afraid to stick his hat on someone.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
Larry Teis wrote:

worrell was a guy who's name popped up occasionally a couple of years ago, but was never a real target for anyone. a quick googling shows he verballed to mcneese state but never made it to nsd. went to blinn for a year, then allan hancock where he rs in 2014 then in 2015 had almost double the carries of the other 2 rb, but only a 3.8ypc compared to their 6.5 and 4.6. seems like there's at least something to work w/, but i'd bet there's a reason he's gone down that path.

http://www.buccaneersports.com/sports/f ... richo_n3s0
http://athletics.hancockcollege.edu/spo ... u?view=bio
http://athletics.hancockcollege.edu/spo ... =0&pos=off

i'd temper hutch's highlights by looking at who they are against. that's a terrible district full kids who aren't going to play football on saturdays. he's a sub-6', pretty athletic white kid rolling up less athletic white/brown kids. on the plus side, he played in an offense almost identical to ours, and he seems like a straight up football player, not afraid to stick his hat on someone.

Agree with Saul on all points.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Just looked at the roster to check how many true high school freshmen are on team (not red-shirts) and there are 30.

This comes from the 2016 signing class, Preferred Walk-Ons (PWOs), and other walk-ons that either tried out to make team (about 7-9 of these players).

Keep a few things in mind regarding these 17+ ships that we have due to players leaving early for whatever reason. I do believe ships can be used a year after they were last used. If so, some of these PWOs or walk-ons could earn a ship in year 2 of their careers. Those ships where players left will not ever filter into the 25 signing class but can be used as mid-year signees (something I expect to happen this December as I think we have 3-4 mid-year ships).

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:27 pm