Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 the mess at baylor 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: the mess at baylor
bleed gold wrote:
runner-man wrote:
Or Wichita Falls. :lol:

I was born there... it is a great place to be from.

I know this is off topic, but if any of you get a chance, you should hop off the Interstate in Waco for a hour or two to actually see what is happening in their downtown. They've got a lot of good redevelopment going on and the makings of a pretty decent social/night-life, and their riverfront area is quite nice now.

The award for shittiest place on I-35 probably goes to the greater Temple/Killeen area. Not really their fault--just a very transient population due to military assignment rotations. Killeen is also one of the most dysfunctional local governments you'll find in Texas.

My mention of Wichita Falls was, of course, merely in jest!

A long time ago in my younger self far far away, I was stationed at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls. I didn't mind living there at all, and DFW is just a couple of hours away.

I have no beef against Waco, either. Waco, IMHO, is a lot better town than what I've experienced in the past. Some even say it's an up and coming town, similar to Austin many decades before.

When it comes to Temple, I've never seen more construction on I-35 than in that area! Hey, at least they have a Buc-ee's now. 8)

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 am
True Bobcat Fan

runner-man wrote:
Some even say it's an up and coming town, similar to Austin many decades before.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:59 am
SuperCat

I get the hate on Killeen, but I live near Temple and love it. Not too big, not too small, and all the good things about Killeen are a short drive away. Waco and Austin are close by.

The construction seems never ending but it has to end eventually right?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

houston and applewhite showing they give zero fucks about rape-enabling coaches. whatever it takes to win, right?

UH sends wrong message in hiring Kendal Briles

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:51 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
houston and applewhite showing they give zero fucks about rape-enabling coaches. whatever it takes to win, right?

UH sends wrong message in hiring Kendal Briles

This may not resonate well with everyone, but the only real concern I see that the article mentioned, was the recruiting violation KB was found guilty of, in 2015. That would need to be heavily watched.

Telling recruits that, "we have a lot of girls and they like football players" is not over the top. That's pretty normal to tell a recruit what they want to hear.... I know a lot worse has been said and or promised to any football recruit.

I am not saying what happened at Baylor wasn't awful, because it was and glad they are moving in a positive direction.

I just don't know how much KB was specifically involved in the "cover up", since he was never specifically named. Sports is different that the real wold, and "innocent until proven guilty" still exists. If this was Art being hired as the OC, I would have a big problem with that.

I also have no skin in the game with either Baylor or UofH

and...LT must go.
~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

GMAN wrote:
Telling recruits that, "we have a lot of girls and they like football players" is not over the top.

that's not what he said. altering the quote so it fits under whatever bar you're comfortable with is part of the problem. it's also not the exact words that matter, it's the culture around a program that has a coach offering up white girls as an enticement, straight out of the blue. it's not like the recruit and the assistant coach were just trading butt stories and it was part of the conversation.
GMAN wrote:
I just don't know how much KB was specifically involved in the "cover up", since he was never specifically named.

he's specifically named in the title ix lawsuit.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

the other part of that hire is bringing briles fixer along with him - dude has been covering up art's shady shit since the steroid days at stephenville.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
GMAN wrote:
Telling recruits that, "we have a lot of girls and they like football players" is not over the top.

that's not what he said. altering the quote so it fits under whatever bar you're comfortable with is part of the problem. it's also not the exact words that matter, it's the culture around a program that has a coach offering up white girls as an enticement, straight out of the blue. it's not like the recruit and the assistant coach were just trading butt stories and it was part of the conversation.
GMAN wrote:
I just don't know how much KB was specifically involved in the "cover up", since he was never specifically named.

he's specifically named in the title ix lawsuit.

My mistake, that I forgot to add , "Do you like white girls" part of what KB said to a recruit.

Not trying to get in a semantics or a pissing match with anyone...again, I have no ties to either school. The point I was trying to make is that yes, Baylor was dirty in their recruiting tactics, but let's not pretend that Baylor was the only school that had or used questionable tactics to get to recruits.

For the record, the Baylor Culture created was 100% wrong.

I don't follow UofH, so maybe this was said and I'm unaware of it, but would one feel different if Applewhite made a statement saying, " I know that hiring KB was a controversial move, but I believe that everyone deserves a second chance. I have shared our Cougar values with KB and we will make sure that all coaches/recruiters follow those values. If not, we will have no place for that person on our staff".

So, what if EW made the KB hire and made the above statement (i know, big what if)? Knowing EW, would you be OK with the hire?

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:32 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
the other part of that hire is bringing briles fixer along with him - dude has been covering up art's shady shit since the steroid days at stephenville.

That's no bueno.

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

EW doesn't have the name credibility to get away with that hire. Applewhite, despite his blemishes, can still use his name to make such a hire okay.

I'm a believer in second chances. But hiring KB now is too proximate to "when the shit went down" at Baylor. In my opinion, KB needs another couple of years to sit in the corner and contemplate his life decisions... and for the Title IX lawsuit to get a little more sorted out. I think this hire is a liability for Houston. For what it is worth, I thought it was a mistake for FAU to take him on last season. He has really had zero consequences.

Randy Clements is the greater risk (the fixer Saul referred to). That guy is super shady, and acted like an absolute dumbfuck on social media when everything went down with Briles. I don't think the guy has a moral or ethical compass.

An article I read indicates if new information comes out that says Briles or Clements was personally responsible for any misconduct that occurred prior to their hiring at Houston, including any new information about their time at Baylor, they can be terminated with cause.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:43 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
An article I read indicates if new information comes out that says Briles or Clements was personally responsible for any misconduct that occurred prior to their hiring at Houston, including any new information about their time at Baylor, they can be terminated with cause.

The real question is would they actually go through with this if they start producing some on the field results? I mean say Houston has a kick ass year, gets a New Years bowl ala UCF and then the investigation comes out with this new information. Does Houston actually pull the trigger or is it just an empty threat to quite down the fan base who questioned it early on after having a disappointing season was fresh on their minds?

Last edited by El Gato on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

some elements at uh would have art briles as head coach right now if they could. tilman fertita wanted him when herman left, but the pres put her foot down and said absolutely not.

some of you may have noticed the mess around the afca meetings today - they had invited art briles to speak, got absolutely killed on twitter, and pulled him from the lineup this morning.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
some elements at uh would have art briles as head coach right now if they could. tilman fertita wanted him when herman left, but the pres put her foot down and said absolutely not.

some of you may have noticed the mess around the afca meetings today - they had invited art briles to speak, got absolutely killed on twitter, and pulled him from the lineup this morning.

Including a weak apology non apology from the AFCA

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I forgot that AB was a former UofH head coach.....

I don't really know how a school could even consider (or would ever want to) him for 5-10 years.

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

El Gato wrote:

The real question is would they actually go through with this if they start producing some on the field results? I mean say Houston has a kick ass year, gets a New Years bowl ala FAU and then the investigation comes out with this new information. Does Houston actually pull the trigger or is it just an empty threat to quite down the fan base who questioned it early on after having a disappointing season was fresh on their minds?

You can color me skeptical on that as well. Nothing in UH's past indicates a tendency to hold coaches responsible for bad behavior, as they already had one round of Briles (with some of his shenanigans at Stephenville already being fairly open secrets). I would argue the Applewhite hire also demonstrates this.

Add to that how hard it is for ANY program to pull a trigger when the wins are rolling in. That is how a situation like Penn State happens. Arguably that is what happened at SMU in the 80s as well--they got addicted to winning and then it became "damn the torpedoes, win at all costs!"

I worry a lot about Kendall Briles. You've basically got a guy that feels entitled & validated, having suffered no real ill-effects from the Baylor mess. Put a good enabler like Clements alongside, and you've got a volatile mix.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:26 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next