Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 the mess at baylor 
True Bobcat Fan

Post the mess at baylor
let's keep existing threads on track and discuss baylor on it's own.

El Gato wrote:

bleed gold wrote:
Anybody remember a few of us being so adamantly opposed to hiring off the Briles family tree? This is part of why.

I suspect we'll be seeing a few more revelations about the Baylor program in the coming week that get more in-depth regarding cover-ups, and probably some local government implications to go with it.

El Gato wrote:
So thoughts on his replacment? Tom Herman?

Thu May 26, 2016 2:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: the mess at baylor
So how do we sell Larry to Baylor?

Thu May 26, 2016 2:08 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I think some coaches may hesitate to touch Baylor. I would expect to see some kind of NCAA penalties shaking out.

Personally, I think it would be a mistake for Herman to take it.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu May 26, 2016 2:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

El Gato wrote:

not a snowball's chance in hell. right now uh is 10x the job baylor is.

baylor is an absolute dumpster fire right now. the next coach to take over there is screwed. the ncaa is coming down to waco and will likely drop bombs. the president is out already, and i don't see how the ad isn't next out the door. my guess is the 2016 signees will be allowed out of their loi by the ncaa, and their 2017 class isn't going to be anywhere near what the last couple of have been.

the 100mi radius around houston is one of the top 4 or 5 most fertile recruiting grounds in the nation, and herman is currently crushing it in recruiting. there's a very good chance uh runs the table next year and fights for a playoff berth.

i'd bet good money that baylor is done being relevant for a while. bennett is reportedly the interim hc, and he's been terrible in that role before (18-52 at smu). beau trahan handled their recruiting and he's at tulsa now. briles jr will be in his 2nd year as oc...if he stays on.

i can't see anyone legit wanting to take over that job anytime soon.

Thu May 26, 2016 2:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

‏@BobbyBurton247
Hearing Mack Brown a name with possibilities at Baylor.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

actually not a terrible idea. grandfathery type who can smooth things over for a while. can't imagine sally would go for living in waco though.

Thu May 26, 2016 2:32 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Waco isn't THAT bad. I think Mack could tolerate it as a sort of limited-term engagement to right the ship--he'd be a good choice for that role.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu May 26, 2016 2:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Agreed with the Mack Brown comments. That's a nice little post retirement paycheck for not a whole lot of expectations. I mean there is no way they are gonna expect to be near the powerhouse they've been under Briles with all the crap that is about to come down on them.

Mack Brown still has the name recognition to hopefully keep some recruits from jumping ship, and someone with proven history of winning so well at least hopefully keep them from being a bottom dweller and at least keep them afloat until things settle down.

Thu May 26, 2016 3:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
Waco isn't THAT bad. I think Mack could tolerate it as a sort of limited-term engagement to right the ship--he'd be a good choice for that role.

mack isn't the issue, his wife is.

and waco is pretty bad. the housing is tolerable in some of the old money parts or newer outlying areas, but waco is a fuggin' dump of a city.

i also think there's 0% chance that happens at all, just a name that was thrown out there by a guy who made a lot of money off of his connections to mack over the years.

Thu May 26, 2016 3:17 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

http://campusinsiders.com/news/baylor-b ... 05-26-2016

Chad Morris? I don't think so, but these guys like him.

Thu May 26, 2016 3:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i could see singletary for sure. and brohm is likely good enough, but is he shortsighted enough?

morris just signed a big contract at smu - $2m/yr and apparently w/ a 100% buyout. plus, no matter how good or bad the football team is, smu and highland park is the complete opposite of waco.

i've got to think meachum and riley are smart enough to know that they just hold their course and they have bigtime gigs coming their way. baylor is only bigtime because of briles, not for any other reason.

Thu May 26, 2016 4:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
... baylor is only bigtime because of briles, not for any other reason.

I read that as "bribes" :wink:

Thu May 26, 2016 6:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
baylor is an absolute dumpster fire right now. the next coach to take over there is screwed. the ncaa is coming down to waco and will likely drop bombs. the president is out already, and i don't see how the ad isn't next out the door. my guess is the 2016 signees will be allowed out of their loi by the ncaa, and their 2017 class isn't going to be anywhere near what the last couple of have been.

Hell, there's people in the national media calling for the death penalty right now.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Baylor is found guilty of unconscionable human behavior
By Mark Bradley
May 26, 2016 | Filed in: ajc-sports.ajc,

You can win big by doing it the wrong way, but such winning invariably bears an expiration date. When such a program finally gets exposed, it’s not just the program and its coach taking the fall – it’s the school and everything for which an institute of higher learning is supposed to stand.

Baylor won a lot of football games under Art Briles. He’s about to be out of job. School president Kenneth Starr, the special prosecutor in Clinton/Lewinsky, is no longer school president. (Officially he’s still chancellor, but that surely won’t last.) Athletic director Ian McCaw has been put on probation. The Bears won big, and now they’ve lost every shred of dignity. An athletic program at this Baptist university – the same place that saw one basketball player murder another in 2003 – again stands revealed as a den of iniquity.

From the university’s findings of fact: “Football coaches and staff took affirmative steps to maintain internal control over discipline of players and to actively divert cases from the student conduct or criminal processes. In some cases, football coaches and staff had inappropriate involvement in disciplinary and criminal matters or engaged in improper conduct that reinforced an overall perception that football was above the rules, and that there was no culture of accountability for misconduct.”

Also this: “Baylor failed to take appropriate action to respond to reports of sexual assault and dating violence reportedly committed by football players. The choices made by football staff and athletics leadership, in some instances, posed a risk to campus safety and the integrity of the university. In certain instances, including reports of a sexual assault by multiple football players, athletics and football personnel affirmatively chose not to report sexual violence and dating violence to an appropriate administrator outside of athletics. In those instances, football coaches or staff met directly with a complainant and/or a parent of a complainant and did not report the misconduct.”

And this: “In some instances, administrative responses and campus processes caused significant harm to complainants. Actions by a university administrator within (the Baylor University police department) and an administrator within an academic program contributed to, and in some instances, accommodated or created a hostile environment, rather than taking action to eliminate a hostile environment.”

Got that? Baylor knew it was recruiting bad guys capable of terrorizing women and didn’t care. It brought those “student-athletes” onto its campus and feigned ignorance – or blamed the victim – when some terrorized women spoke up. This isn’t just looking the other way when some recruit hits town in a spiffy new car; this is unconscionable human behavior.

From Richard Willis, chairman of Baylor’s board of regents: “We were horrified by the extent of these acts of sexual violence on our campus. This investigation revealed the university’s mishandling of reports in what should have been a supportive, responsive and caring environment for students.”

Any parent out there interested in sending a daughter to such a school? Any parent interested in sending a son? As crass as it is to root for any program to receive the NCAA’s death penalty – even in a morally deficient environment, not every player/coach/administrator is culpable – but Baylor deserves it. It knew about its rotten apples and did nothing to stop them. Just win, baby.

You’ll have to excuse me here. I need to go vomit.

Thu May 26, 2016 7:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I don't care who becomes their next coach. I'm more interested in how we may benefit from this. While others are wondering what will happen to BU, I'm hoping we can draw more interest from 3* players to come to TXST. Again, I'm not saying we are going to pull any players away from TCU, A&M, or UT (P5 schools) but now all of a sudden players that would have easily been hoping for a BU offer will not have to think twice about taking that chance with their career without knowing who the HC will be. Schools like TXST, UNT, UTSA, Rice and others G5 will need to pounce on this opportunity. All of this right before summer camps begin too!

Right now, BU has 3 4* players and 3 3* players committed for 2017. Think they all stay? I can guarantee that won't happen, especially the 4* kids.

Do I think we have a shot at those players? Heck no BUT the reality is TCU, A&M, UT or other P5s will benefit from this and if anyone needs help its A&M after their QB fiasco and other problems they've had.

Can you imagine the negative recruiting that will begin since BU has not HC, likely to lose most of coaching staff if they were a part of all of this (internal review crap), and no real idea on what the NCAA will do to them after now a 2nd huge issue (first it was in b-ball 10+ years ago in b-ball when a player lost his life and now a winning football program having major issues on so many levels (Title IV, NCAA compliance - lack of internal control, and then the fact that the coaches were doing the review = major lawsuits coming).. did I mention not state laws but the federal laws that were stepped over? Baylor is in deep do...do.

Here's a few things recruits will here:
-They don't have a HC, why would you go there?
-Without a HC, you don't even know what system they will run.
-Without a HC, you'll be playing for an interim HC that is not likely going to be there next season.
-The coaching staff will likely be gone before the season begins.
-The NCAA will come down hard of BU.
-They are likely to lose bowl appearances.
-They will lose scholarships and that will affect the depth of the team... it will be a rebuilding situation in 1-2 years.
And on and on...

Let me put it this way, if BU signs only 3* and some 2* because players look elsewhere... that benefits everyone other than BU. If A&M/TCU/UT get those 4* kids, it means they will not take as many 3* kids... thus allowing more 3* kids available for G5 schools.

Maybe I'm wrong but it will be interesting to see how many 3* recruits come to our summer camps now.

Thu May 26, 2016 8:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

El Gato wrote:

Barrett Sallee Verified account
‏@BarrettSallee

Before everybody gets carried away with Briles replacements, Tom Herman isn't going to Baylor.

Another P5 program in Texas? Sure

https://twitter.com/BarrettSallee/statu ... 4927762432
http://bleacherreport.com/users/838009-barrett-sallee

Thu May 26, 2016 9:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I just read some "rumblings" over on TexAgs that this could very likely be a Penn State type of situation when recruits can leave and play immediately. I don't know if that will happen here but it is something to watch from not only current commits but redshirted players and even current starters that may be allowed to leave. I wouldn't expect to get any star players but maybe other good players for BU that would be great for us.

Thu May 26, 2016 10:56 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next