What do you Get out of Week 1? POLL 

How will the Bobcats Finish Out the Season?
11-1 UH who, Whoa, maybe an access bowl? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
10-2 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
9-3 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
8-4 50%  50%  [ 19 ]
7-5 24%  24%  [ 9 ]
6-6 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
1-11 for phratawhatever who thinks we are doomed 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 38

What do you Get out of Week 1? POLL 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post What do you Get out of Week 1? POLL
A poster on the other board posted this:
swt00cat on br.com wrote:
Let's not sugar coat it... FSU made us grab our ankles and sent us home with a $950,000 check.

Other than the check, I find it hard to find many positives. ...

We are going to do what FSU did to us to PVAM. I am not sure we will know much about our team come week three against USM, for a while they went toe to toe with Miss State... they are not going to come to Bobcat stadium thinking they are going to lose...

Got me thinking. This is the same story every year as our first two opponents are always polar opposites of each other. However, while the fist opponent (especially in this case) can't tell you much about the team, I still feel there are things to take away from the teams performance. Most notably, how they handle a squad that outgains them physically, and how this can translate to what they do with future opponents of less stature.

Poll question for you following week 1 is:

Based on this performance, what will the Bobcats final record be at the end of the season?

Let's just get some different postgame discussion going, while also getting some talk going on upcoming opponents.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: What do you Get out of Week 1? POLL
can't tell anything about the season until maybe after houston. play them for 4q regardless of outcome and i'll be confident in my 8-4 call.

it's not just us involved here either - most of the conference not only lost but got rolled. have no clue what anyone else is looking like w/ ga southern getting shut out by a notoriously defense averse wvu, usa & appst playing fcs, ark st playing a top 10 blue blood like us. not surprisingly, ull shows the best against p5, even though (arguably) they played the weakest one.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Biggest week1 takeaway is that SBC is 0-9 in FBS play- further proving our irrelevance to the rest of the football world. Why would they give us more tie ins. Yay for being stuck in the belt

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:55 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
can't tell anything about the season until maybe after houston. play them for 4q regardless of outcome and i'll be confident in my 8-4 call.

I think the Southern Miss game will be the 1st inkling as to direction. That team improved last year over the year we played them (in which they turned over the ball 6 times) and in their first game this weekend , lost to Mississippi St. 34-16 with one of the Miss St TD's being a 100 kickoff return. Southern Miss didn't run so well...15 times for 102 yds, but passing was 34-42-2 for 311 yds. They put up 413 yds in total offense.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
Biggest week1 takeaway is that SBC is 0-9 in FBS play- further proving our irrelevance to the rest of the football world. Why would they give us more tie ins. Yay for being stuck in the belt

Hey, genius... We were in that loss column. So it's not like we did our part, and the conference isn't helping us.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:36 pm
True Bobcat Fan

swt73 wrote:
I think the Southern Miss game will be the 1st inkling as to direction.

1) for some reason i thought usm was after uh.
2) usm does seem like they can throw it...but 1 td out of all those yards, and 2 int. still, 300+ is impressive vs msu.
in conclusion, you're probably right*
*but uh>usm so different levels of inklings

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Hopefully we can handle USM at home. I checked the scores and I was surprised USM did that well but then I realized the Miss St. game was at their place. One reason we haven't gotten a bowl game is we lose too many OOC games. We lose to USM I think our bowl odds start declining dramatically.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Every board needs villains just like Gotham needs Harvey Dent.

Good news about week 1 is our pass protection for Jones looked really good. That first drive where Jones got us behind the chains was on Jones not the line- that ball should have been thrown away. We were cruising down the field and should have scored on that drive- Jones taking the sack there set the tone for rest of game and was game changer. Our run block on offense really looked concerning. I don't see Lowe averaging more than 5 yards/carry if the holes don't open up better and could make for a long season in the backfield. Fran ran the ball against FSU far more than I would have liked.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:08 pm
SuperCat

Southern Miss will not stay down for long. They have almost always been a good team. They never could seem to reach the next level but were always good.

Same for Troy.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:47 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

There is no reason why we shouldn't be 3-1 going into the ULL game. Both Southern Miss and UH won't be as competitive as people think against us.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

If you say so

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:

it's not just us involved here either - most of the conference not only lost but got rolled. have no clue what anyone else is looking like w/ ga southern getting shut out by a notoriously defense averse wvu, usa & appst playing fcs, ark st playing a top 10 blue blood like us. not surprisingly, ull shows the best against p5, even though (arguably) they played the weakest one.

Exactly. Other factors besides the cats showing this past Sat. is how the rest of the conference fared as well. Based on that and the Cats performance this past Sat, I would venture to say that cats are at least in the top 4 of the SBC, if not the top 3. Keep in mind Georgia Southern is without their QB who has been suspended for the first two games for academic reasons. Still they got manhandled by a team picked to finish 6th out of 12, I mean 10, teams in the Big XII pre season poll.

I have the sunbelt standings at:

1. ULL -made it a game with an SEC team, granted Kentucky was picked to finish last in their preseason media poll
2. App- easy win over a not so strong FCS squad from the MEAC.
3. Arkansas State -lost to No. 8 USC but stat wise put up some decent numbers but only 6 points to show for it.
4.TXST lost to No. 10 FSU
5. Troy - Held in there with a decent ACC team
6. ULM -ehhh against No.9 Georgia
7. Idaho - lost to a MAC team but put up 400 yds on them including 300 passing. Turnovers killed them. I wouldn't take them lightly.
8. USA - had some trouble with a not so good FCS team, but did put it away in the 4th qtr.
9. Georgia Southern- simply because I expected much more, at least a FG, again 2nd strong QB..we'll see about these guys
10. Georgia State - Held in check until the 4th qtr, but still lost to a bottom dweller CUSA team.
11. NMSU - 200 yds of offense (better than the Horns) and 13 points, 1 TD on a short field due to a Gator fumble.

Of course the fun of all this is that it's the first week and all of this can be completely different once conference play rolls around. But it gives us something to talk about until then.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:

Have you checked who we played vs who the other conferences played? We had 3 teams play top 10 teams.
CUSA 9-4
3 FCS wins
3 G5 wins
3 middling P5 wins (Vandy, Purdue, UCF)
I'll acquiesce these will be perceived as great wins when they're not.
Marshall is on a roll, though, so I gotta give props. However, they did lose to WKU last year. Kept them out of the at large spot.

MAC 5-6 (2 games cancelled or postponed)
3 FCS wins
No P5 wins, only 2 G5 wins

MWC 10-2
8 FCS wins, 1 vs Colorado St. Take that for what it's worth...and
#23 Boise beat Washington by 3.

AAC 9-3
7 FCS wins,
1 mediocre P5 win for Temple over a flailing PSU

So, the other 4 G5s went a collective 33-15 with 64% of those wins (21) vs FCS
Sun Belt has 11 teams. Two played FCS, 8 played P5s (3 of them ranked 8,9,10), 1 played an equally bad G5 (somebody had to win)

Most of the Belt teams have their FCS game this week.

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

There is a nice post game interview with Fran, Woodard and TJ that is out on the athletics page. I really like that guy Woodard. Not sure about his speed but the guy gets it and appears to be a leader.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:24 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

tpopt wrote:
If you say so

To give some credit where it's due, taxman is right: UH & USM are VERY winnable games for us. We need to play well, but we can win those no problem.

Now, the question is... do we play well in those games?

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:48 am