Fall camp reports.... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Fall camp reports....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

I've been around Bobcat football teams for going on almost 21 years, and I have to say that what I saw yesterday was amazing. Several points to ponder from yesterday's practice:

1. The team was the most polished team I've ever seen at Bobcat stadium, and that's saying a lot. Last year's team looked like an FCS led squad, while this year's team is night and day different. This was a legit looking FBS squad, despite being a little undersized still. They were disciplined, for the most part were not playing out of position, and the general atmosphere was that of a well coached team.

2. A lot of the drills they were doing were drills that I've never seen being done in San Marcos, even during the Fran years (who had coached at Bama, TCU and A&M before coming back here). Not only that, but they MADE SENSE for what an FBS squad is supposed to be coached, it was never "what on earth does that do for them on gameday?" more in the sense that "wow, why was that never taught here!?"

3. The quarterbacks: when I heard Spavital talk about having a close race between four QBs, I thought it was a bad omen. The old adage of “If you have two QBs, it means you don’t have one” came to mind Turns out the QB whisperer knew exactly what he was talking about. All four QBs (Jensen, Gipson, Vitt and Case) were able to efficiently move the ball on different drives. Gipson still has some accuracy issues (throws high on almost every throw, but not too bad), but you can tell he’s worked hard in the offseason to improve in that department. An ideal case would be to redshirt Vitt & Case, have Jensen at QB1 and Gipson as his primary backup. As of now, any one of those four can run this offense (with a slight edge for Jensen), and redshirting Vitt and Case would mean we are set at QB for the next 5 years.

4. The offense: When I say this team looked like a legit FBS squad, it was never more apparent than on the offense. The scheme and personnel use was very reminiscent of the good TCU, A&M, and West Virginia teams, very polished and efficient are the main phrases that keep coming to mind. The one drawback is that the WRs and TEs had way way way too many drops, that needs to be locked down before the opening game.

5. The Head Coach: Coach Spavital has surrounded himself with such a good cast, that most the practice he seemed completely at ease with the assistants doing their jobs. He actually spent more time casually interacting with onlookers and media instead of micro-managing the position drills or the game situations. The one word that can describe the entire practice session was efficient. This team looked legit ready to win 7-9 games right out of the gate.

6.) The Defense: For the most part, they seemed to be at the same place where they left off last season, with the exception that the DBs aren't looking for the ball as much as they did last season which is allowing more drives to continue. Having said that though, the throwing windows are a lot more narrow because, again....the team as a whole is not playing out of position. The LBs have been really good at stopping the run so far and keeping everything in front of them in pass coverage. For being practice #5 (I believe), this team looked ready to start installing the A&M game plan already which places them about a week and a half ahead of a usual Fall camp schedule.

7.) Special Teams: Didn't see too much in this department, except some punts had nice distance but there were a couple of muffed punt returns by the returners. Didn't see any FG attempts or anything, but it did look like we had 6-8 total punters/kickers milling around.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:27 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Fall camp reports....

Notes from the scrimmage:

- It looked like Vitt was beginning to separate himself from the rest of the field in the QB competition. He seemed to have better command of the offense and his throws were a lot more crisp, he looked confident in the pocket. Jensen struggled quite a bit to move the ball, but part of that was from WR drops. Case and Gipson had up and down performances. The QB competition is very reminiscent of the Jones/Printz race a couple years back where the transfer created some waves early on, but the returning starter eventually entrenched himself.

- The receivers need to do a better job with the catches, particularly in traffic. Way too many drops or tips that were either picked off or nearly picked off. They are also not adjusting well to what the defense was doing and finding the soft spots in the coverage, of which there were a lot because it looked like we played a lot of base defense (not too many blitzes).

- The Oline is doing a good job at run blocking, but the left side was allowing way too much backside pressure on the QBs. Adding to that, the running backs had a good day and it bodes well for our running game. Jaylen Nelson in particular looked very strong and had some long runs by using his vision to find the right lane to run into.

- The defense continues to impress putting pressure on the QB, taking advantage of the tips by WRs, and for the most part being sound on assignment football. I believe they only gave up FGs early on in the scrimmage. The linebackers were once again the workhorses at making plays in the middle of the field.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:20 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Barring any injuries, your starters on offense should be:

QB - #11 Tyler Vitt
RB - #25 Anthony Taylor
WR - #10 Mason Hays
WR - #3 Jeremiah Haydel
WR - Slot #80 Hutch White
TE - #49 Hunter Hebert
OL - #50 Reece Jordan
OL - #55 Aaron Brewer
OL - #69 Tanner King
OL - #71 Tate Heitmeir
OL - #72 Jacob Rowland

For the most part, #2 Gresch Jensen played 80% of snaps with the second team, he did have one or two very effective drives with the first team but Vitt is clearly QB1 now. Watch out for #13 Trevis Graham Jr., had a lot of solid FBS offers and it's clear to see why. His catch ratio is probably in the 80%, but will more than likely come off the bench or in certain packages only early on. #24 Caleb Twyford and #20 Robert Brown Jr. are good complements for Taylor, but look for Taylor to break 1,000 yrds on the season if given the chance. He's a bruiser (has been since he first arrived on campus) that grinds out 5-8 yard runs consistently. Twyford had a good 40+ yard run today, but he was caught from behind....had the vision to break a long run, but did not have enough speed to run away from the defense.

The Oline has been doing an incredible job in run blocking, and the RBs are light years ahead of last season's pace with incredible vision (which the coaching staff did a great job of teaching through some unique drills).

The defense continues to be the backbone of the team for now, and the coverage in the middle on passing plays is on point. They are pressuring the QBs quite a bit, which bodes well for an increase in sacks this season.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Why are you talking to yourself on this dead board. Everyone is on the maroon and gold board now FYI

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:40 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ak711 wrote:
Why are you talking to yourself on this dead board. Everyone is on the maroon and gold board now FYI

1.) I'm not a fan of some of the staff on that board, so I may not join. The fact that they take reports from someone who shows up 45 mins late for the practices, never watches the team except for a few plays and then writes erroneous reports on what's going on (Vitt has practically been QB1 since the scrimmage and he is still pumping up Jensen for whatever odd reason), and make him an "expert contributor" makes it hard to give credibility to their take on Bobcat athletics.

2.) This board provides the only competition they have since "Bobcat Report" has very low traffic and most people don't know it is still around like this one.

3.) This one isn't blocked at work, so it's a good place for a Bobcat type blog whenever I'm doing recruiting glances and media info. 8) :lol: :lol: The fact that the other one is blocked by the company's security systems makes me weary of their info/IP sharing info.

4.) Since a lot of the info here ended up on TexasAgs, it's not completely talking to myself. On that note also, based on their predictions of our offense, they are going to be rudely awakened come game day. I've yet to see a single bubble screen in practice and our Oline is good at run blocking, they seem to think Spav's offenses can't run. :twisted: :twisted:

5.) I also don't think 775 bots have read this thread.....there are a ton of people who still read these even if they don't log in and reply. Probably around 40-50 people per day swing by and read the board to see what's new with Bobcat athletics.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:37 pm