Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Football Video Boards 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Football Video Boards
I met Rick once when I bought a Bobcat flag from him in 2005.

Brent from Bailiff to Rice and then came back when the FBS move came. The original Bobcat Report was the best and then got picked up by Rivals and died. Brent was a around another year or so with good recruiting and alignment scoop. He then pissed Utah St's AD off big time for claiming they were leaving the WAC for the MWC. The AD even called out the reporting in public. After that Brent got more quiet and eventually disappeared again. Jack was a big part of BR and then there was some sort of internal drama and he left did some sort of blog and came back. He posted here a few times and then got pissed and stopped.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:33 am
True Bobcat Fan

bobcatreport died because they went to rivals and couldn't produce enough content for customers to justify paying $10/mo. they went through multiple reporters pulling less than half-time duty - brent, keff, taxi ( :lol: ) and a couple of others along the way. they also didn't understand how to leverage the free board for traffic/community. there were other contributing factors as already mentioned, but in the end, they simply couldn't produce content and/or didn't really understand how to keep customers engaged.

fun fact: fran is the one who pushed those guys to join rivals, because he understood the value of having his recruits get ink/clicks, and the only way to do that is to have a recruiting site for your team. br reached out to 247 as well, but they wouldn't give them the time of day. the beautiful irony there is that once they went to rivals, fran was not only restrictive on access, but when incidents happened on the team, he flat out told them if they reported on them, it would be cut off completely. i wish i could remember the exact example, but it was pretty blatant and obvious.

the funny thing about brent's name popping up now is that he's the original bobcat sinner when it comes to trying to pump up a recruit's value/impact/potential. constantly fluffing up every recruit w/ superlatives, even when they were from a 2a school, didn't exist on the recruiting sites and had no offers. if you stripped out the names, you'd think you were reading alabama's updates. he helped push the whole disney movie mindset where everyone was a diamond in the rough and guys like jack rhoades were going to lead us to the promised land.

as far as where folks could go to discuss bobcat sports if/when this place dies is the rivals free board: https://texasstate.forums.rivals.com/fo ... ootball.8/

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Yeah, I had thought of starting a board from the ground up, but in the end... it goes back to the original thought: We don't have a strong enough fan base to warrant two forums.

While I'm no fan of the Rivals user interface, I'd just post more over there.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 am
Junior Bobcat

Who knew that me asking for an admin to unlock an account from 2005 would bring up all these memories and broken dreams.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:45 am
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
We don't have a strong enough fan base to warrant two forums.

an argument could be made that we don't have enough to warrant a single forum. :? :cry:

on a fall saturday, this forum is lucky to maybe get 200 posts, and that's being incredibly generous - longest game thread last year was ull, 12+ pages (15 posts/page), over 3 days.

by comparison, surlyhorns has 845 new posts today and has had 3 days of over 3000 posts in the last 3 weeks. i'd bet taxi's right arm that we don't have 3000 posts here in the last year.

obviously not an apples/apples comparison, but that's a pretty stark difference.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 pm
Junior Bobcat

Saul Goodman wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:
We don't have a strong enough fan base to warrant two forums.

an argument could be made that we don't have enough to warrant a single forum. :? :cry:

on a fall saturday, this forum is lucky to maybe get 200 posts, and that's being incredibly generous - longest game thread last year was ull, 12+ pages (15 posts/page), over 3 days.

by comparison, surlyhorns has 845 new posts today and has had 3 days of over 3000 posts in the last 3 weeks. i'd bet taxi's right arm that we don't have 3000 posts here in the last year.

obviously not an apples/apples comparison, but that's a pretty stark difference.

In fairness, i'd say that the board feels way less active than it was 5-10 years ago.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

chockky2 wrote:

In fairness, i'd say that the board feels way less active than it was 5-10 years ago.

It definitely is. I think it's less active than the FCS days.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The most successful thread in a while is the "fuck you larry" thread. So at least the traffic that we are getting is plugged in to the program...

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i wasn't on here 10yrs ago, but i don't recall it being particularly busy when i signed up 5 years ago - and that's w/ bf and br combined.

i am curious as to what other solid mid-major message board numbers/traffic looks like. boise st, arkst, wky, ucf, usf, etc.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:12 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I joined about the same time and its never been that active.

Yeah comparing to Shaggy/Surly and Texags isn't a very fair comparison, but compared to these other guys - we really don't have a lot of traffic.

https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/forum.php
http://www.coastalfans.com/forum/
http://www.yosefscabin.com/forum/index.php
http://www.raginpagin.com/louisiana/forum.php?&styleid=1

https://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/
https://houston.forums.rivals.com/forums/cullen-boulevard.10/
http://rowdytalk.com/

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
i wasn't on here 10yrs ago, but i don't recall it being particularly busy when i signed up 5 years ago - and that's w/ bf and br combined.

i am curious as to what other solid mid-major message board numbers/traffic looks like. boise st, arkst, wky, ucf, usf, etc.

2005 was the heyday (surprise surprise). It was between the great year, the playoffs, Bailiff departure, and I think that was the year that baseball was really in it's stride too.

We would usually have anywhere between 100-150 people on, and new posts regularly. We had inside information from Brent, and a political board which... ehhh, wasn't so great.

the combination of the winning and the inside information really kept this place thriving.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:03 pm
Junior Bobcat

TheRevSWT wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

2005 was the heyday (surprise surprise). It was between the great year, the playoffs, Bailiff departure, and I think that was the year that baseball was really in it's stride too.

We would usually have anywhere between 100-150 people on, and new posts regularly. We had inside information from Brent, and a political board which... ehhh, wasn't so great.

the combination of the winning and the inside information really kept this place thriving.

Totally agree. I joined in 2005 after watching Barrick Nealy win a playoff game on ESPN2 (which is also, not coincidentally, when I decided to go to Texas State instead of TCU and A&M). I signed up to buy tickets to the next game.

There was also, overall, more optimism around the program. Not to say there wasn't complaining. That particular aspect certainly has not changed.

So...how are the video boards coming along?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:47 pm
Junior Bobcat

Texags is currently selling the blueprints and layout for their site. Or whatever the technical term is for the layout.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:13 pm
SuperCat

Bobbumman wrote:
Does the new video board or end zone complex locker room impede the area where the future bowl would be put in?

This is my only issue with the boards. We desperately needed a different solution to the previous video boards, but I feel like this was the wrong one.

It just seems shortsighted to me. We're spending 3 million on boards that will need to be replaced when we bowl in the endzone. Idk, maybe they've given up on ever expanding the stadium, but i don't feel like this was a very forward thinking decision.

I guess if we ever actually have the need to expand, we can go the route of demolishing our current stadium and building a completely new one like TCU, Baylor, and UH.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

what indicators could you possibly point to that show a need for expansion any time soon?

fwiw, those video boards have an effective shelf life of roughly 10-15 years, so that's your timeframe reference on "soon."

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:39 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next