Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Did anyone else notice. . . 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Did anyone else notice. . .
That we received the kickoff to start the game and to start the second half. We won the toss and defered to the second half and Nicholls chose to kick. So at the start of the second half we got to choose to receive the ball. I guess with all that wind it could be considered strategy but still wouldn't you at least want to ball to have an opportunity to score?

Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:17 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
Post Re: Did anyone else notice. . .
They believed wind would be a factor, so they thought that may effect our offense to begin the second half?

Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Yep, I noticed that too. The interesting thing was that at the start of the second half we had the ball and we were going against the wind, thus we got the wind in the 4th. Seems like it worked out perfectly for us, I don't know what in the hell nichols was thinking.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I was wondering why we got it twice.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

yeah we all were wondering the same.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

KU did the opposite in the game against UT yesterday and it had the radio commentators scratching their heads. They elected to start the 3rd Quarter with the wind going against them in order to have it in their favor for the 4th and against Texas in the 4th. Unfortunately for them, it didn't pan out to well as the Longhorns put the game away in the third scoring 21 points with the aid of the wind on their side. In making the opposite decision as KU it looks like Nicholls was hoping that the wind would be a factor against the Cats (which it was, but the running game was so effective as to negate the wind factor).

I was listening to the UT/KU game on my drive to San Marcos, and the commentators kept on mentioning how the wind was playing a huge factor with the passing game and kicking game of both teams. I wondered if the wind would also be a problem in San Marcos, and to some extent it was. The NWST missed field goal's were from 36 & 44 yards out and going into to a 24-31 mph (reported wind speeds in post game report) wind. It was clear that the kicker put the strength into it, but as it approached the goal posts you could see the ball slow down as it was fighting the wind and end up short of the uprights. A NWST punt and a TxState kickoff also suffered the same fates during the game. All three successful FG's from both teams(19 & 21 yds. for TXST and 40 yds. for Nicholls) were all with the wind at the kickers back. I also remember the cats trying to let as much of the clock run at the end of the 3rd in order to start the 4th with the winds at their backs.

To give you an idea of how it messed with the passing game I broke down the passing stats(Att-Comp) by quarter(<-- indicates team going against wind, and --> is the wind against teams back):

1Q

TxState<--
Nicholls-->(favorable wind)

TXST 4-1 10 yards
NICH 0-0 0 yards

2Q
TxState-->(favorable wind)
Nicholls<--

TXST 5-4 81 yds
NICH 5-1 3 yds

3Q
TxState<--
Nicholls-->(favorable wind)

TXST 4-4 40 yards
NICH 3-3 72 yards

4Q
TxState-->(favorable wind)
Nicholls<--

TXST 3-2 22 yards
NICH 6-2 45 yards

So the cats were 8-5 for 50 yds. going against the wind and 8-6 for 103 yds. with the wind at their backs. The Colonels were 11-3 for 48 yards going against the wind and 3-3 for 72 yards with the wind at their backs. Both teams combined were 19-8 for 98 yards against the wind versus 11-9 and 175 yards with the wind.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

good... :D
:?
Im not going crazy!!!
we did recieve both the opening kick off and the kick off to start the 2nd half.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:28 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]