Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Camping 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Camping
Are there any policies on camping in the parking lot before a game?

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:28 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Camping
I'm sure the gestappo would have plenty to say. Sad thing is that tailgating is practically a sport unto itself at most colleges and COULD be HUGE in SM. The Drive should take gameday atmosphere into account....

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:12 pm
True Bobcat Fan

They did it in 2005, I heard cops came by and were told not to mess with students by the admin.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I dont see why it would be a big deal ...Its a big game for us ..hell all are them are from here on out!! CAMP ON!!

"They said Bo didn't know football ... Well my name ain't Bo"

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

There is a HS playoff game @ BC Friday night. Westlake (I think)and some school from SA.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I haven't bothered much with tailgating this year. Ok, so I was away for one game but have been to the other home games and the tailgating has pretty much been non-existent. I am wondering, though, maybe it has something to do with the start times? We haven't had this many early games since I've been going. (I think) Why did they do that this year?

2007 we had 3 2 PM starts and 2 were away. The rest were 6PM except SDSU which was
at 7PM

2006 we had 2 2PM starts, both away. The rest 2 @ 7PM, 7 @ 6PM

I haven't accounted for any TV gametime moves.

I can manage getting to tailgating around 3 for a 6 PM, or 4 for a 7PM. I want to sleep in on the Saturdays I have off and rarely want to get to SM at 11 AM.

2005 tailgating ROCKED

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:16 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

CatMom wrote:
I haven't bothered much with tailgating this year. Ok, so I was away for one game but have been to the other home games and the tailgating has pretty much been non-existent. I am wondering, though, maybe it has something to do with the start times? We haven't had this many early games since I've been going. (I think) Why did they do that this year?

2007 we had 3 2 PM starts and 2 were away. The rest were 6PM except SDSU which was
at 7PM

2006 we had 2 2PM starts, both away. The rest 2 @ 7PM, 7 @ 6PM

I haven't accounted for any TV gametime moves.

I can manage getting to tailgating around 3 for a 6 PM, or 4 for a 7PM. I want to sleep in on the Saturdays I have off and rarely want to get to SM at 11 AM.

2005 tailgating ROCKED

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

i agree. the late games definitely work better for tailgating. the past 2 this being the 3rd i believe have been 3pm starts. i've been getting to the field about 7:30-8am. it is tough especially driving an hour prior to. this does not explain poor attendance though. hopefully, saturday we will see an improvement.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:22 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Quote:
Tailgating events includes Alcohol, Free MIPS
Texas State football game tailgates can consist of hamburgers, team spirit and Minor in Possession citations.

Students’ tailgate parties can be ruined if they are caught drinking underage.

Sgt. Daniel Benitez of the University Police Department said 23 MIP citations were issued during this year’s football season thus far.

Police issued 10 MIPs during the first home game, three during the second, two during the third, eight during homecoming and none at the previous game.

Benitez said the amount of MIPs issued this year reflects previous year’s averages of six to twelve MIPs per game.

SACA, who organizes tailgating events, has a number of measures in place to prevent underage drinking.

Student organizations, including fraternities and sororities, must sign a tailgate rules and regulations agreement with SACA before setting up a tent at tailgating events.

The agreement states members and guests of the tailgate party must be at least 21-years-old before drinking alcoholic beverages.

The agreement outlines safety issues for alcohol consumption during tailgate parties, including the requirement of a designated driver, alternative beverages and an adequate amount of food.

Rachel Griffey, graduate advisor for SACA, said she does not think underage drinking is an issue at tailgate parties but the organization takes precautions to ensure it will not be.

“We are sure to give out free water at every game so there are other beverages available besides alcohol,” Griffey said. “I haven’t noticed much of a problem with underage drinking.”

The UPD has a zero tolerance policy for underage drinking.

Benitez said the officers talk to the students at the tailgating events to establish relationships with the students.

“I go out there early and let people know we are there,” Benitez said. “We make contacts with individuals and let them know the rules and that we will be IDing so it is no surprise. We are just trying to make everything safe for everybody.”

Benitez said the amount of MIPs issued is higher during tailgating events with concerts.

Reckless Kelly performed during the first tailgate party where 10 MIPs were issued. Eight MIPs were written during Texas State’s homecoming where Cory Morrow performed.

An MIP can cost up to $500, requires the completion of an alcohol awareness class and community service and results in a 30-day license suspension.

According to Jennifer Rea, student worker for the Alcohol and Drug Resource Center, the university provides alcohol awareness services, personal counseling and community service assistance for students who have received an MIP. Benitez said three to four campus police officers monitor tailgating activities.

He said organizations are rarely ticketed for providing drinks to minors because it is hard to pinpoint the responsibility. Benitez said he is pleased with student conduct during the events, despite the number of MIPs issued during this year’s football season.

“Overall the behavior out there has been good,” Benitez said. “Students have come a long way in knowing the consequences for underage drinking.”

The last home game is Saturday against Nicholls State.

cjswt05 wrote:
i agree. the late games definitely work better for tailgating. the past 2 this being the 3rd i believe have been 3pm starts. i've been getting to the field about 7:30-8am. it is tough especially driving an hour prior to. this does not explain poor attendance though. hopefully, saturday we will see an improvement.

This article was featured on the front page of the UStar today. Maybe they are playing with the start times to figure out best way to give the most amount of tickets.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

littleo wrote:
There is a HS playoff game @ BC Friday night. Westlake (I think)and some school from SA.

That just reminded me about something I been thinking about...if and when we expand BCS, are we still going to be hosting San Marcos HS there and HS playoff games?

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Quote:
this does not explain poor attendance though. hopefully, saturday we will see an improvement.

for me it does...fri and sat are my days off of the week...i go out the nights before and sleep in the days of..theres a reason i dont have avail at my job before 11 am days that i do work...i sure as hell am not going to wake up at 10 am to go drinking when i went out the night before...hell getting to a 3pm game is a stretch for me...i just got done with my week vac from work and the entire week i didnt wake up before 1pm ever...now put that in context of college kid that works their part time retail job if anything...a lot later sleep for them, early PM games are embarrassing for attendance.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:21 am
True Bobcat Fan

El Gato wrote:
littleo wrote:

That just reminded me about something I been thinking about...if and when we expand BCS, are we still going to be hosting San Marcos HS there and HS playoff games?

The answer to your question is yes. San Marcos HS has a field but it is nowhere near available to host varsity football games. I'm sure HS playoffs will be played there because it is a perfect neutral site b/w SA and Austin.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:26 am
True Bobcat Fan

darussian12 wrote:
Quote:
this does not explain poor attendance though. hopefully, saturday we will see an improvement.

for me it does...fri and sat are my days off of the week...i go out the nights before and sleep in the days of..theres a reason i dont have avail at my job before 11 am days that i do work...i sure as hell am not going to wake up at 10 am to go drinking when i went out the night before...hell getting to a 3pm game is a stretch for me...i just got done with my week vac from work and the entire week i didnt wake up before 1pm ever...now put that in context of college kid that works their part time retail job if anything...a lot later sleep for them, early PM games are embarrassing for attendance.

100% agree.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

8) students need to quit making up lame excuses, and show up to the games!

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I agree with blueshirt. Back when I was in college, and a UT fan, I'd start tailgating at 8:00 for the 11:00 games. And there were about 60,000 people doing the same.

The time of the game should be irrelevant. The game should be your big weekend plan.... the thing you make sacrifices for. Like, "I'm going to wake up tomorrow at 7:30 and tailgate my a$$ off, so maybe I should try to get some sleep tonight."

But, like I said, that's how it should be. Unfortunately, not like it is. If we had College Gameday come to San Marcos, half of the students would complain that it airs at 9:00 AM.

I'd like to add, I am no longer a UT fan. If I lived closer to San Marcos, I would never miss a game. The kickoff time is no excuse.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:54 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I haven't missed a home game in over three years. With that said, the 6:00 PM games are much better. I'm old. I like to sleep in, ease in the San Marvilous about noon, tailgate for 5 hours, go to the game, drive home, and then sleep in on Sunday if I like. Hell, I live 100 miles a way and it's no problem getting home after 6:00 games.
For alumns, it's something to do on Saturday night. For students, they can start their Saturday off at noon, go to the game, and still have their Satruday evenings.
Someone in the ADs office needs to revisit the decision on game times.
It is very important to be fan friendly when your building your program. Those that are already built, could play at midnight and sell out.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:11 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next