Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Tightening up Under Pressure??? 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Tightening up Under Pressure???
sm_bobcat wrote:
That is what is wrong with Bobcat sports. To many "fans" that have zero respect for anyone and want to have a football program like UT's with very few people being willing to dish out the money required to get to that level.

What's your solution, pilgrim? Giving the Nixonian (the president, not to be confused with a Karnes City opponent) head coach total autonomy and promising to keep your mouth shut when you're not satisfied?

And to the good Reverend, I would ask how almost every head coach in the country hobnobs with the people that pay their grossly inflated salaries prior to a game and Wright can't handle it. In this day and age, even high school coaches at megaprograms do it. "The Drive" sort of increases in difficulty when the HC can't embrace the CEO-esque role as head of the program. If the assistants that have been coaching the team up all week can't handle it in the minutes prior to kickoff maybe they need to go first.

"We're going to Katy!"

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

jack wrote:
And to the good Reverend, I would ask how almost every head coach in the country hobnobs with the people that pay their grossly inflated salaries prior to a game and Wright can't handle it. In this day and age, even high school coaches at megaprograms do it. "The Drive" sort of increases in difficulty when the HC can't embrace the CEO-esque role as head of the program. If the assistants that have been coaching the team up all week can't handle it in the minutes prior to kickoff maybe they need to go first.

Oh man, I was just joking around. I totally understand where people come from with frustrations in regards to wright and his media itneraction.

From his blaming of Teis for a poorly played game against Angelo State, to his calling out of the SMDR reporters when we won at McNeese. It's just bad mojo to be that bad in the media.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
jack wrote:

Oh man, I was just joking around. I totally understand where people come from with frustrations in regards to wright and his media itneraction.

From his blaming of Teis for a poorly played game against Angelo State, to his calling out of the SMDR reporters when we won at McNeese. It's just bad mojo to be that bad in the media.

Agreed, we need a better ambassador for this program.

"The plaque for the #8 seed in Katy is down in the ladies room"

-IceMan

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:30 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Some of you guys are the same people that will completely flip their script if Wright wins out-that's why I'll hold my tongue. I garauntee you that most of you would be on Wright's side of the SMDR fight if he were 7-2 or 6-3 right now.

IF we win 7 games this year, that works. I'm sorry- you just can't tell me there's been no improvement. From 4-7 to 7-5 or 8-4 (hopefully not 6-6)? I'll take that if there's no backward slide next year.Plus, I count 5 blowouts (by 17 or more) last year. This year? All losses have been close.

Hopefully this is a trend, but it's obvious that Wright needs 1-2 more years before any trend can be observed.

year 1: BAD- 4-7, no media interaction, 5 blowouts
year 2: BETTER- 7-5 or maybe even 8-4, no blowouts,poor media interaction
year 3: Who knows? But how can you say it won't go: BETTER- 9-3, no blowouts (besides TCU) playoff appearance, better media interaction (can't get worse)

It's funny who hides their head and doesn't have anything to say when the team is winning. I'm not saying that Wright is the right choice.....just be careful....or crow isn't the only thing you'll have to eat.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Last edited by SanMarcosWay on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:01 am
True Bobcat Fan

SanMarcosWay wrote:
Some of you guys are the same people that will completely flip their script if Wright wins out-that's why I'll hold my tongue. I gaurantee you that most of you would be on Wright's side of the SMDR fight if he were 7-2 or 6-3 right now.

IF we win 7 games this year, that works. I'm sorry- you just can't tell me there's been no improvement. From 4-7 to 7-5 or 8-4 (hopefully not 6-6)? I'll take that if there's no backward slide next year.Plus, I count 5 blowouts (by 17 or more) last year. This year? All losses have been close.

Hopefully this is a trend, but it's obvious that Wright needs 1-2 more years before any trend can be observed.

year 3: Who knows? But how can you say it won't go: BETTER- 9-3, no blowouts (besides TCU) playoff appearance, better media interaction (can't get worse)

It's funny who hides their head and doesn't have anything to say when the team is winning. I'm not saying that Wright is the right choice.....just be careful....or crow isn't the only thing you'll have to eat.

You make some very valid points. I am just not convinced that this is the guy that is going to get us deep into the FCS playoffs, or to the greatness that is the "Meineke Car Care Bowl" once we make the move to FBS.

-IceMan

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:58 am
True Bobcat Fan

bobcatjh wrote:
SanMarcosWay wrote:
Some of you guys are the same people that will completely flip their script if Wright wins out-that's why I'll hold my tongue. I gaurantee you that most of you would be on Wright's side of the SMDR fight if he were 7-2 or 6-3 right now.

You make some very valid points. I am just not convinced that this is the guy that is going to get us deep into the FCS playoffs, or to the greatness that is the "Meineke Car Care Bowl" once we make the move to FBS.

Don't set your sights low! Independence Bowl, here we come!

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bobcatjh wrote:

For the sake of argument, if our records for this year and then next ended up:
2007: 4-7
2008: 7-5 (no playoffs)
2009: 8-4 (or 9-3) (FCS playoff game) and defense getting to the level of being solid to good.
But in 2009 we didn't advance past a game or two in the playoffs.

Would you still not be convinced that Wright can get us deep into the FCS playoffs, or a Bowl game once we move to FBS?

Because personally, this is what I am expecting. If we do not get that, then I will be among the group that wants him gone. But, based on what I have seen, those are certainly levels that we can obtain.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:06 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SanMarcosWay wrote:

That's sort of the point though: He hasn't won enough to garner a pass for being stupid with the media. Yeah, coaches who are riding a 1 or 2 loss record can stand to be snobby to reporters. When you're struggling to stay .500, you should be thankful you are getting media coverage.

SanMarcosWay wrote:

I don't know... Honestly, I see not just the final score (as that is what is most important), but how we played. And to be honest, thus far, I haven't seen the improvement I would expect with the talent he has on the offensive side of the ball. The defense? If it keeps playing average to good like it has lately, then that's a bonus. But... Take for example, the Angelo State game. Sure it was a win, but can you tell me honestly that you walked away from that game thinking "yeah, this coach is the coach for us!"?

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
I don't know... Honestly, I see not just the final score (as that is what is most important), but how we played. And to be honest, thus far, I haven't seen the improvement I would expect with the talent he has on the offensive side of the ball. The defense? If it keeps playing average to good like it has lately, then that's a bonus. But... Take for example, the Angelo State game. Sure it was a win, but can you tell me honestly that you walked away from that game thinking "yeah, this coach is the coach for us!"?

What do you expect on the offensive side of the football? We are third in the nation in Total Offense, and 7th in the nation in scoring offense. I don't know what else you expect out of the offense. While last year we were 18th in total offense and 42nd in scoring offense.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

sm_bobcat wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:

What do you expect on the offensive side of the football? We are third in the nation in Total Offense, and 7th in the nation in scoring offense. I don't know what else you expect out of the offense. While last year we were 18th in total offense and 42nd in scoring offense.

Sm_Bobcat,

We could have, and should have done better than Coach Wright after Bailiff left for Rice. We did not conduct any sort of outside coaching search. We have the biggest budget, but arguably the most inexperienced head coach in the SLC. This makes absolutely no sense.

We cannot expect to move up to the next level if we are not kicking @ss at this level.

I agree that we need to withhold final judgement till after the season is over, but he just does not seem to be a great leader. He appears to be an overly sensitive guy that cannot take criticism (even from a dinky San Marcos paper), and does not seem interested in ALL of his responsibilities as head coach of this team (i.e. meeting with potential donors that can help move this program to the next level).

-IceMan

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:47 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Still (and this isn't trying to delve into why we play D2's), I'll take a one TD win over Angelo vs. a, what, 17 point loss to ACU?

I see improvement. Give Bleil a chance to get his recruits in. Next year no PO's? THEN it's time for a coaching re-eval.

If W's and L's are what count in the end, then I see NO reason to think (yet) that Wright can't get the job done. If we go 6-6 this year, then I may take a different stance. The fact that we're still (technically) in the hunt with three games left-I consider that progress.

If we found a big name coach that everyone was behind, and he did the same things wright has done (4-7 to 7-5) in his first 2 seasons, would you be on board to get rid of him? I sure wouldn't. Wright is appropriately deserving of 1 more year.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:57 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Against Northwestern it wasn't just the offense that didn't get the job done. The defense had two chances on 4th down to stop Northwestern on the final drive for the TD but couldn't come up with the play. And the issue on offense then was execution not play calling. What is wrong with on the first two plays of our drive in regulation going to Bush on the outside and then throwing the ball to Cam Luke? It just so happens that Bush got nothing on the run, and then Cam was held by the DB, but the ref missed yet another call. Then if memory serves me, on 3rd down, Bradley tried to throw the football, but could not find anyone open and had to tuck the ball and run with it.

Were there some plays that were called that are not my favorites? Absolutely. But I also know that every team has a couple of plays that it runs, that the fans dislike. I have learned to get over it and not get worked up over a couple of plays.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

[
SanMarcosWay wrote:
If we found a big name coach that everyone was behind, and he did the same things wright has done (4-7 to 7-5) in his first 2 seasons, would you be on board to get rid of him? I sure wouldn't. Wright is appropriately deserving of 1 more year.
Still (and this isn't trying to delve into why we play D2's), I'll take a one TD win over Angelo vs. a, what, 17 point loss to ACU?

A big name coach would have earned the benefit of the doubt based on his past success. Coach Wright has no past success at this level. That is the key difference here. He was not even an all star high school coach.

-IceMan

Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bobcatjh wrote:
sm_bobcat wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:

Sm_Bobcat,

We could have, and should have done better than Coach Wright after Bailiff left for Rice. We did not conduct any sort of outside coaching search. We have the biggest budget, but arguably the most inexperienced head coach in the SLC. This makes absolutely no sense.

We cannot expect to move up to the next level if we are not kicking @ss at this level.

I agree that we need to withhold final judgement till after the season is over, but he just does not seem to be a great leader. He appears to be an overly sensitive guy that cannot take criticism (even from a dinky San Marcos paper), and does not seem interested in ALL of his responsibilities as head coach of this team (i.e. meeting with potential donors that can help move this program to the next level).

We don't know if we could have done better than Wright. But one thing I do know is that it would have been VERY difficult to find a coach that can recruit better than Wright. Based strictly off the recruits that we signed last year, you would have a hard time convincing me that Wright didn't do a better job of recruiting than even Bailiff did. And Bailiff was one of the best recruiters in FCS. And recruiting is the #1 key for a college football coach, you can't recruit you can't win.

Now, yes we should have done a more exhausting search before we brought Wright in. But, that is water under the bridge, nothing we can do about that now. But to hold it against Wright that we didn't do a better search before we hired him is even a bigger mistake than we made in not doing a better search to start with.

Was he inexperienced when we brought him in, absolutely. But, does that mean that he can't be a good coach, absolutely not. Everyone has to start somewhere. And so far, Wright has the team on track to post a winning record. And while I was certainly disappointed with our 4-7 record last year, it isn't like Wright took over a great football team and drove them into the ground. He took over a 5-6 football team, which wasn't very good either.

All I am saying is what is done with hiring Wright is done, to hold it against Wright how he was hired is wrong, it isn't his fault. Lets judge Wright based on how his teams do on the football field, not based on how he was hired or how he talks to the media. And he so far is guaranteed to finish with a better record than last year and there are still three more games to play. With the team playing MUCH better football compared to last year in my eyes atleast. All the while red shirting some of his best recruits on defense. While returning most of the key players on offense (losing only 3 starters on offense).

Now, if Wright doesn't keep the team improving and playing better the final 3 games of the season and even improving the team and record next year as well. Then I will be leading the pack to get a new HC. But, I am not going to judge Coach Wright based on the fact that we didn't do an exhaustive search when we hired him, or that fact that he doesn't deal with the media very well. I am going to judge him strictly off how his teams perform on the football field. And so far atleast, the results seem very positive in that department.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bobcatjh wrote:
[
SanMarcosWay wrote:

A big name coach would have earned the benefit of the doubt based on his past success. Coach Wright has no past success at this level. That is the key difference here. He was not even an all star high school coach.

What benefit of the doubt does Wright need? It isn't like Wright took over a playoff team and drove it into the ground with a 4-7 record. He took over a bad football team that posted a 5-6 record the year before. And right now he is on track to take a 4-7 football team and lead them to a 7-5 (with 8-4 certainly being a very possible record).

Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:44 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next