Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Attendance / Tailgating 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Attendance / Tailgating
There is something fundamentally wrong in San Marcos.

I've been a die-hard fan for over 10 years. I've seen the ups and downs in the administration, athletic dept, and coaching. I was totally shocked at the reduction in tailgating and attendance. I can't remember when I've seen such a low turnout. The stadium wasn't even close to half full. I've heard the excuses, Halloween, Wurstfest, team doesn't win every game, but there is something more to the situation. I know that some folks are disappointed with the team's record this year, but I have been pleasantly surprised compared to my expectations going into the season. I was frustrated that we lost on Sat., but we played hard in a very close game.

This game was for the lead in the conference of playoff eligible teams. I was humiliated for the players to see such a poor turnout. I'm glad that I didn't bring any guests to this game because they would have had the same impression that I had.

It seems that an effort has been made to reduce tailgating by the Gestapo tactics of the UP, obviously directed by some beaurecrats up on the hill. It was a bad decision to "rope off" a large portion of the student side parking. What's up with this?

We seem to make such a big deal about qualifying for the good seats by assigning points based on contributions. I am amazed at how much elbow room that I've had this year. I also learned that faculty get a high priority on the good seats when it is conveyed that they have to be earned by contributions.

We are about the only stadium where parents and friends can not greet players after the game on the field. It also bugs me the way that you can't cut across the stadium before and after the game. I mean, it's just not very fan friendly at home.

I feel better now that I have expressed my frustration.

No hiding who I am....Barry Balser Houston, Texas

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Attendance / Tailgating
I think you have some valid points about the fan friendliness of the stadium and the atmosphere.

However, you can't fault SMPD for enforcing the laws.Tailgating or not... Underage drinking is not legal, and they will crack down on it anywhere they can. That's just the nature of the beast.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
However, you can't fault SMPD for enforcing the laws.Tailgating or not... Underage drinking is not legal, and they will crack down on it anywhere they can. That's just the nature of the beast.

The under age drinking is a very tricky subject. It is certainly against the law, so I can see why they feel the need to enforce it. However at the same time, I also know that if the cops at UT or A&M tried to enforce it, alot of heads would role. No amount of police could control the corps, if cops tried to give under age drinking tickets at A&M.......

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:08 pm

One thing you have to remember is that the police, whether UPD or SMPD, don't like the students....period. If they can catch them doing something wrong they will....period. Students need to know this and know that you can't get away with anything in public where there are police present in San Marcos. It's been like that since long before I was in school there (1981) and it will be like that probably forever. SMPD (and probably a lot of city people in San Marcos) would just as soon the University not even be there, although they forget that there wouldn't be a San Marcos without the University.

DROPOUT CLASS OF '82Image

Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:16 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I don't think SMPD should be allowed on campus without being requested by the university. The university should control their own.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I think the SMPD ridiculous. I was walking to the stadium at about kickoff time for the UCA game and I saw an officer tell several small groups of people that drinking hours were over and to get rid of their beer. These people were in their 40's and 50's, they didn't need to be parented by a parking lot police officer.

I've known underage people double fisting for 6 blocks walking to a UT game and the cops don't look twice at them. I used to be one of them.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I think Barry is right on in this matter. My opinion is- this University could care less about winning football and attendence sucks.It's just about what I thought it woulld be after the Fields gave away all those tickets. I think it's a smoke screen about going D1- Underaged drinking is fine with me-hell your college- as long as you keep it under control.The way they do things in San Marcos is backwards-It seems they don't want tailgating-It seems they don't want you to have any fun-the police need to back off unless something serious is going on..From what I understand student affairs has a lot to say about this matter- tailgating--If we as Alumni would unite in this matter and bitch-something would be done or considered.I've been tired of it for a long time. I've seen them check bags coming in to the tailgate-walk around giving tickets and generally acting like assholes to the students-LEAVE THE STUDENTS ALONE. All this crap adds up to this--THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT ATHLETICS.
WE ARE NOT IN THE 60'S ANY LONGER GET A GRIP. This University is way way way behind the times.I'm pissed about all this and have been for a long time.It is time to voice our opinion..let the President know how we all feel- or whoever--just let me know who

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:08 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Sherwood,
I am with you. Well said and if the students do not feel they are invited or an impact, why would they come. I think marketing to the students is essential as well. Look what Pat Knight did passing out pizzas to all the students at Tech prior to the UT game. That stuff works. Or look at Coach K at Duke camping out with the students etc.
How about the university sells off the parking lots to the Fields or "we" buy them and have private parties? Great way to make cash such as the suites and we'll throw the parties pre and post game?? Does not have to be a drunk fest but it needs to have the tailgaters feel welcome. I guess for that matter it does not need to be on campus, just clsoe enough to be a good gathering point, but should is nice to have adjoining parking lot. I have been to many SEC, FL< GA<LSU<AL<MS games and have yet to see a police officer in the tailgate area other that directing traffic to and from.
Anyway, don't let up your effort.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:17 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

We tailgate in a freaking parking lot. There are no trees or grass. It sucks. Lets move the tailgate scene to the 8th hole
of Aquarock.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Czechmate wrote:
We tailgate in a freaking parking lot. There are no trees or grass. It sucks. Lets move the tailgate scene to the 8th hole
of Aquarock.

I LOVED the SMU "Boulevard" tailgate settup. Grass, trees, collegeic (sp?) buildings, proffesional catering, liquor vans, sorrority girls in white sundresses, etc

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ak711 wrote:
Czechmate wrote:
of Aquarock.

I LOVED the SMU "Boulevard" tailgate settup. Grass, trees, collegeic (sp?) buildings, proffesional catering, liquor vans, sorrority girls in white sundresses, etc

sorrority girls in white sundresses.........
sorrority girls are overrated.

liquor vans cool... i thought you could not drink at SMU tailgates... thats why we stayed at Knox Street Pub... which was a good time anyways....

Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

cjswt05 wrote:

liquor vans cool... i thought you could not drink at SMU tailgates... thats why we stayed at Knox Street Pub... which was a good time anyways....

They're methodists, not baptists! :lol:

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

i know that.
but i had recieved a flyer through the mail i believe which said no alcohol on campus.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I wonder what the students and Alumni would say if they got a flyer from LSU or Alabama or Texas- Texas Tech that said no boz on Campus-R u kidding me there would be a riot.Texas State is lost in the 50'S ozone somewhere-Police outside of every bar at night--Just can't wait to arrest someone-- SMU had a huge tailgate -----ON CAMPUS- I was there....great fun as I remember.ha. After the Texas -Tech game they could of arrested the entire stadium.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

cjswt05 wrote:
ak711 wrote:
Czechmate wrote:
of Aquarock.

sorrority girls in white sundresses.........
sorrority girls are overrated.

Maybe the TxState sorrors are overrated...Not SMU. These girls were HOT and came off VERY classy. I thought the sundresses were southern class at its finest.

Alchohol/food was mostly served by 3rd party vendors, and no...they didn't ID a soul. Pretty smart in my opinion...not only was it much better organized, but the liability factor is shifted away from the students/organizations/university towards the 3rd party vendors.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:45 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next