Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 UCA Postgame thoughts 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: UCA Postgame thoughts
sm_bobcat wrote:
Rev, I disagree that consistency hasn't been there. Our offense has been pretty consistent if you take away the SUU debacle. And our defense has been improving slowly each game. If our defense keeps getting better or even just stays playing like it has the past two games I think we have a very good chance at winning out.

I too would disagree with this statement. Against Delta State, our offense wasn't producing. Against SUU, our offense wasn't producing. And against UCA, our offense struggled. The first two, there's really no need to explain. But against UCA, while they are a quality opponent, they have a sub par defense.

In my estimation (and granted, this is my opinion, but I think it's fairly grounded), that's 3 of 7 that were not where they usually are.

Again, I'll say it: If the last two weeks were the norm, and not the exception (which only time will tell if that's the case), then we will do well this year. If not, then that falls on Wright's shoulders, because he's shown what this team is capable of, now it's up to him to have them produce it week in and week out.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
sm_bobcat wrote:
Rev, I disagree that consistency hasn't been there. Our offense has been pretty consistent if you take away the SUU debacle. And our defense has been improving slowly each game. If our defense keeps getting better or even just stays playing like it has the past two games I think we have a very good chance at winning out.

Our team as a whole has been inconsistent since Wright took over.

State was a KB fumble away from possibly being 2-0 versus the 2 best teams in the SLC. That being said, Kb is a stud player who just happened to make a mistake at the wrong time.

I am not ready to "Wright" this team off just yet. The defense is getting better. It has gone from the worst defense I have ever seen, to just being a bad defense.

I am not upset about the game. The jury is still out on this season, and State controls its own destiny. They proved over the last couple of weeks that they can play with anyone on the SLC.

SFA is scoring a ton of points!! Must win game on Saturday if this team wants a shot at the playoffs.

"The plaque for the #8 seed in Katy is down in the ladies room"

-IceMan

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:45 am
True Bobcat Fan

SWT85 wrote:
sm_bobcat wrote:
We lost to a great football team yesterday, and easily the best team in the conference with the way that they are playing right now. And we had a couple of chances to win the game.

Granted, we probably didn't bring our "A" game, yesterday, but certainly still played a very respectable game, we just played a better team.

Had we played this type of game against Southern Utah, and SMU we would have won both of those games by a fairly handy margin. If we keep playing like we did yesterday we should be able to beat everyone else in the conference.

Great. Another freakin moral victory. We lost...again. A game we could have, probably should have won considering we were at home. End of story. Apparantly we don't care if we win of lose...therefore we are what we are...mediocre at best. Fortunately, I came back to Austin to watch a very good Texas team beat up on Missouri. This town, these fans, will not accept losing or mediocrity. That is why they are WHERE THEY ARE, and we are WHERE WE ARE. Not news-worthy or respectable. A weak DIAA team at best. I will not contribute to this program going forward until some serious changes are made.

....Oh, go stab yourself in the skull with a rusty railroad spike! Do us all a favor STAY in Austin. We don't want/need 'fans' like you. Just do what every other typical central Texas-area douche bag does– wait for Texas to have a good season pull your burnt orange skirt out of storage and parade around town like you play on the team.

always good to have a longhorn teat to suckle when your real team loses I guess...

Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:53 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
sm_bobcat wrote:

I too would disagree with this statement. Against Delta State, our offense wasn't producing. Against SUU, our offense wasn't producing. And against UCA, our offense struggled. The first two, there's really no need to explain. But against UCA, while they are a quality opponent, they have a sub par defense.

Our offense put up 376 yards against UCA. I wouldn't say that our offense struggled. No, our offense didn't have its best game, but I definately wouldn't say it struggled.

TheRevSWT wrote:
In my estimation (and granted, this is my opinion, but I think it's fairly grounded), that's 3 of 7 that were not where they usually are.

Again, I'll say it: If the last two weeks were the norm, and not the exception (which only time will tell if that's the case), then we will do well this year. If not, then that falls on Wright's shoulders, because he's shown what this team is capable of, now it's up to him to have them produce it week in and week out.

Rev, I certainly respect your perspective. But, I think if you look at the games closer you will see slight progress each for the defense, and for the offense an offense that consistently is playing at a high level every week with each unit having one hickup game.

Although I will be honest, I NEVER put much stock into the first game of any season. In all my years of watching football I have seen to many odd things happen week one, as all teams still have lots of rust from not having lined up and played a real game against anyone in 9 months. And all the practice in the world can not make up for playing in a real game as things happen at a completely different pace. That said, was I disappointed in our performance against Angelo State, absolutely. But I also have learned that the team you see week one is almost NEVER the same team that you will see the rest of the year.

Defense
SMU - The D never forced a turnover or was even confident enough to attempt to make a play of the ball.

Northern Colorado - Forced 5 turnovers and kept them from scoring on 2/3rds of the teams possessions, but gave up way to many big play TD's.

Southern Utah - I was jumped on big time for saying that while our team performance against SUU was dismal, the biggest blame goes to the offense, and that our defense took anouther step forward against Southern Utah. And if you look at the numbers I was right. We forced two more turnovers, and they only completed 44% of their passes. With the biggest difference being that we didn't give up any HUGE plays (the longest against us was only 38 yards).

Texas Southern - Granted, this is the game where our D definately took a step backwards, but things were not all lost. For the 3rd straight game our D did force a turnover, we also held them to a mere 5-17 on 3rd down, and the longest play we gave up was only 40 yards. Once again eliminating the HUGE 50+ yard, 1 play drives.

McNeese State - Here the D stepped back up with a solid game. Forcing 2 turnovers, and holding McNeese one of the top offenses in FCS to 4-10 on 3rd down, and more than anything limiting them to a mere 20 points threw three quarters. While once again keeping the huge plays down, allowing just 1 58 yard run.

Central Arkansas - Yet another solid performance buy the D, holding Central Arkansas to only 31 points, and 4-12 on 3rd down, and limiting Central Arkansas to just 1 play over 30 yards (1 31 yard catch).

Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:35 am
True Bobcat Fan

The prevailing theme - INCONSISTENCY

INCONSISTENCY = LOSING

That's where we've been for 24 of the 25 years (including this year) in the I-AA world. That's only a 4% passing rate folks and all you have to do is be one of the top 16 teams in the I-AA world - that's it!

Everyone talks about all of the positives that we allegedly have in San Marcos so why all of the losing?

Those that are satisfied with 5-6 and 4-7 records year in and year out are patsies.

I swear I have no idea why any of us waste our hard earned dollars and invaluable time even following a program like this. We do and have been for many years longer than most on this site and I'll give you a really quick, easy and great way to get us to shut up - WIN.

There are literally 100,000 (+) of others whom have given up over the years on this fiasco. So let's make it even harder on ourselves with the I-A move where we'll be worse. Briliant I tell you, brilliant.

Why not move back down to DII and WIN, rebuild your fan base and get the program headed in the right direction?? Does a part-time alum know the difference between Northwestern State and Eastern New Mexico? NO. Does a part-time alum know the difference between a Sam Houston State and Abilene Christian? NO. We're wasting our time, money and resources with this no-man's land of I-AA and are a lamb being taken to the slaughter on the I-A move (we'll never be anywhere close to UT and that's what every I-A program strives for). DII is the truly only answer and one day, God willing, those that doubt that will see when the move back down is done.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:37 pm
Site Admin

TheRevSWT wrote:
sm_bobcat wrote:

I too would disagree with this statement. Against Angelo State, our offense wasn't producing. Against SUU, our offense wasn't producing. And against UCA, our offense struggled. The first two, there's really no need to explain. But against UCA, while they are a quality opponent, they have a sub par defense.

Fixed it for you.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

RunninWithBigDogs wrote:
I swear I have no idea why any of us waste our hard earned dollars and invaluable time even following a program like this.

I like to think of ourselves as the battered women on cops, with the university playing the role of the wife-beater wearing, drunk, belligerent husband.

There we are, standing on the front porch, mascara streaming down our faces going "He'll change! Please don't take him to jail! I LOVE HIM!!!!!"

Maybe I'm romanticizing the relationship too much.

:sombrero:

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:46 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Casey wrote:
Fixed it for you.

Gracias. I don't know why I made that mistake, but I did.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:47 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

mc1135 wrote:
...Oh, go stab yourself in the skull with a rusty railroad spike! Do us all a favor STAY in Austin. We don't want/need 'fans' like you. Just do what every other typical central Texas-area douche bag does– wait for Texas to have a good season pull your burnt orange skirt out of storage and parade around town like you play on the team.

always good to have a longhorn teat to suckle when your real team loses I guess...

What an idiot.

This is the typical bottom of the barrel bobcat fan on this site. Not all bobcat fans are like this...but this is prevelant on this site. Immature and ready to throw a stone from behind the keyboard (would never have the nerve in person).

We complain about our students being an embarrasment to the university? How about this clown? This university's fan base is a big problem. When they're not busy patting themselves on the back for a moral victory, they're trashing others who see issues with the program, or trashing the longhorns as typical D1 wanna-bee's would.

I'll be gone next season, along with my money, as I'm sure many will. This idiots response is typical "not seeing the forrest for the trees" mentality. Until a few of you start to see the big picture, realize how mismanaged this program is, you'll not see anything more than what you're seeing on the field now.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:52 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SWT85 wrote:
mc1135 wrote:
...Oh, go stab yourself in the skull with a rusty railroad spike! Do us all a favor STAY in Austin. We don't want/need 'fans' like you. Just do what every other typical central Texas-area douche bag does– wait for Texas to have a good season pull your burnt orange skirt out of storage and parade around town like you play on the team.

What an idiot.

This is the typical bottom of the barrel bobcat fan on this site. Not all bobcat fans are like this...but this is prevelant on this site. Immature and ready to throw a stone from behind the keyboard (would never have the nerve in person).

We complain about our students being an embarrasment to the university? How about this clown? This university's fan base is a big problem. When they're not busy patting themselves on the back for a moral victory, they're trashing others who see issues with the program, or trashing the longhorns as typical D1 wanna-bee's would.

I'll be gone next season, along with my money, as I'm sure many will. This idiots response is typical "not seeing the forrest for the trees" mentality. Until a few of you start to see the big picture, realize how mismanaged this program is, you'll not see anything more than what you're seeing on the field now.

This programs been mismanaged for the last 25 years why leave when things are getting exciting again?

Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

SWT85 wrote:
I'll be gone next season...

No you won't. :lol:

Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Mad_Cat wrote:
SWT85 wrote:
mc1135 wrote:

What an idiot.

This programs been mismanaged for the last 25 years why leave when things are getting exciting again?

Exactly. You've hungaround since 85, you're obviously a glutton for punishment like the rest of us, why jump ship now.

TxSt Alumni - The Cubs fans of the Southland

Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
billybobcat wrote:
TxSt Alumni - The Cubs fans of the Southland

Ouch!

Just tell me it won't be 100 years until the Bobcats next championship

Cubs last won the World Series in 1908...Right?

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

RunninWithBigDogs wrote:

Why not move back down to DII and WIN, rebuild your fan base and get the program headed in the right direction?? Does a part-time alum know the difference between Northwestern State and Eastern New Mexico? NO. Does a part-time alum know the difference between a Sam Houston State and Abilene Christian? NO. We're wasting our time, money and resources with this no-man's land of I-AA and are a lamb being taken to the slaughter on the I-A move (we'll never be anywhere close to UT and that's what every I-A program strives for). DII is the truly only answer and one day, God willing, those that doubt that will see when the move back down is done.

Outside of Tx St. making noise in the FCS playoffs this year, the push to FBS needs to be taken off the table immediately or at the beginning of '09. Most of the momentum for FBS was gained at the conclusion of the '05 season and if you asked most fans they would have said we'd be back to the FCS playoffs by now. How firm is the commitment for FBS? I know the student money is raised, but it should be saved towards getting the most bang for our buck and building a good FCS athletic program that is competitive in all men's sports, especially baseball on the national level. There is no way in hell Teis and CW can successfully run this as an FBS program with the limited resources they are going to have. We go FBS in in '12 and we go 1-11 or 0-12 with our lone possible win against an FCS opponent. Then the program dies.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

[quote="billybobcat]Exactly. You've hungaround since 85, you're obviously a glutton for punishment like the rest of us, why jump ship now.[/quote]

Why jump ship? It's clear nothing will change. I thought this site would finally pull together enough of us to have more of a voice with our athletic director, but it's made little difference. Most who post on this site, especially those who post the most, are so apathetic toward this losing embarrasment of a program, why would Ties, or anyone involved, feel any pressure to push for something better?

The only voice I have, the only way I'll be heard, is the same way it was done back in the 90's, or even early in this decade...pull out until changes are made. I made a firm resolve to voice my protest by pulling out. When the assistant AD calls to find out where I am, I'll tell him loud and clear why I'm no longer backing this program. When some serious changes are in place, when I feel this program is moving in a direction I can feel positive about, feel proud of this program again, you bet I'll be back. Not until then. I'm finishing the season out and will watch and wait. If not satisfactory changes are seen or felt...in June I'll pass on season ticket renewal, bobcat club renewal, and will not attend the games.

This is MY protest only, and I could care less if anyone likes or dislikes what I'm doing. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I'm also sure the program will feel it's effects. Larry Ties is a disaster for this program. Wright should have never been hired for a head coaching job. We've p*ssed away our 2005 success in attendance and recruiting. I'm done.

And for those of you who will say "what about the kids"? The money I would have devoted to bobcat athletics will go to my church and catholic charities. The money will be spend on kids and many other much needed things.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:38 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next