Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 UCA Postgame thoughts 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post UCA Postgame thoughts
31-24 F

I thought a turning point in the game was the trick play with Luke throwing a pass on 2nd and 4....bad play call IMO, should have run it. We were driving good and ended up having to punt IIRC.

Bobcat D gave up 31 points...I say they did their job against UCA. Only real bad part of the D was they didn't get any fumble recoveries or picks.

Offense needed to score at least 5 touchdowns for us to have a chance in this game.

Weak sauce on the offense...step it up.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:43 pm
Junior Bobcat

Post Re: UCA Postgame thoughts
was a questionable call....but turning point was bush putting the ball on the ground.....we cant have that crap in a close game.....BG managed the game well....dillard played well.....what did we rush the ball 3 times all game?.....and threw to our #1 playmaker CL what 4 times?......thats why we are goin home 1-1 in the conference.....

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:54 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I was ok with the defense's performance. Coming off such a hard fought battle last week, and to give up only 31 points (one with a RIDICULOUSLY short field) against such a strong team like UCA is not a bad deal.

Offense? I expected more, but let's be honest, we can't score 50 points every game.

I was pleased with the vast majority of the play calling. Some head scratchers here and there, but nothing that was majorly a "WTF" moment.

All in all, I am not upset. I really would have liked a win, but right now, I say UCA is in a group by itself. To me, they are the class of the SLC right now.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:56 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Damn that loss hurts. The D showed up but like Max noted earlier, "weak sauce" on the offense. :roll:

Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Oh yeah, and I didn't mention this originally, but it bears being said: It was a great game by UCA. We didn't hand them that game, and Nathan Brown is a REALLY good player.

I don't mind losing to a team so long as we aren't giving the game away... This one... we didn't give it away, they took it.

Kudos to them.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:33 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

First of all, let me say that I'm really proud of the defense. I don't know how many yards they gave up and I don't care the D took care of business. Anytime that you hold an offense of UCA's caliber to 31 pts (one drive being 8 yards long), you are doing good.

Offense:

They played well over all, just made a whole bunch of minor mistakes (dropped passes, penalties, etc.) that added up enough to slow us down.

Overall I still have a positive outlook for the season. We have some good teams left to play, but I'm now confident that, as long as we cut out the small mistakes that we can handle it.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:52 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

millikan wrote:
...Overall I still have a positive outlook for the season. We have some good teams left to play, but I'm now confident that, as long as we cut out the small mistakes that we can handle it.

Might add, unfortunately for UCA, they could lose no conference games & still sit home during playoffs... believe that their football program remains in transitional status between Div II & FCS...not eligible.... We've got a tie breaker over McNesse & still have everyone else to play in the SLC....

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Punting is killing us all season long. I think we are giving up 80 yards in field position a game because some of the punts are only 10-20 yards down the field. At this point in the season it's just inexcusable. There has to be some better alternative than what we are fielding for punting. Most high school teams can punt better. Isn't there anyone on Tx St campus who has punted in high school?

Nathan Brown is the real deal. Managed the game almost flawlessly. I didn't see any balls that we came close to intercepting except for one lob pass out to the sideline. He knew where to throw it and when to run it. I think George managed the game well based on prior performances but still commits unforced errors and flubs on many plays. On the 4th and 4 at the beginning of the second quarter he had a first down running it in the open field instead he tries to go for the TD by trying to fit it into tight coverage and was behind the receiver. George still throws the ball up for grabs and awful lot when he's under pressure, there were several that were almost interceptions. The Luke pass play was a horrible call. You're going to let your all conference receiver throw it to a backup tight end as the only receiver in the pattern? Pure genius.

Defense played good. Satisfied overall with the effort against one of the top QBs in the nation.

Seriously need to make a splash at the QB position for next year, either to play or put the pressure on BG. Games like this show how important the position is and it seems like the staff has rested on BG as the only option for the last 2-3 years and for the future. I think we had as good or better players top to bottom with UCA except at the QB position.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

what a disappointing game. now that everyone is back to reality after the mcneese game i cant believe our D made their running backs looks like future nfl Heisman winners. UCA didnt even get a chance to make it ugly with their passing game since they got a first down almost every rush attempt so no need for them to bother showing off browns passing skills. our punting game is a joke. the D overall make some nice stops and gave the O plenty of chances to win and the O just didnt get it done. turning point to me was the bush fumble letting them get that easy TD and putting the game out of reach...ughhh. the penalties were unacceptable and were drive killers numerous times. highlight of the game to me was the mishak run in the first half or the sweet catch by whatever receiver it was for the jump ball after it was tipped in the air and getting a big gain. heck if UCA had a respectable kicking game the score would be worse. ill guess i now get to wait till next week.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The ball just didn't bounce our way tonight. There were a handful of drops that could have led to scores on subsequent plays. Overall I thought there was a solid effort by the bobcats, UCA just came in with a solid game plan and controlled the ball. They kept our offense off the field and prevented us from getting into any sorta rhythm. UCA will probably win the conference, we gotta win out and do our best for an at large playoff spot.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

number 90 blew a couple of first downs.
i thought the offense did ok.
the defense on the other hand needs to step up and make something happen.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I am overall pleased with what the team put out on the field today. They played well and had one turnover. One turnover pure game is ok it just happened to be at the worse time. The defense did as good as anyone could have expected and especially in the second half I would be very proud if I was Bliel. You held one of the number one quarterbacks in the country to a mediocer day (there were 3 scouts at the game presumably for Brown.)

With that said we could have won this game. Untimely mistakes killed the Cats. Whether it was dropped passes by a tight end who is really a tackle, or a fumble by our star player who still had solid impact on the game it still killed us. Coach Wright showed that he will no longer say crazy things after the game he said 4 one sentence quotes and got off the field. The Cats proved to me tonight that they have a legit chance to win the conference and are the team that I thought they could be at the beginning of the season.

GO CATS

Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

darussian12 wrote:
highlight of the game to me was the mishak run in the first half or the sweet catch by whatever receiver it was for the jump ball after it was tipped in the air and getting a big gain.

That catch was by Dillard and I was like 10 feet away from it and couldn't help but start screaming. It was an amazing catch. As good as Luke is I think our receiving corps is in good hands with Dillard and Rivas.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

WOW ...just got home from San Marcos and i tell you that there is a reason some football teams WIN conference and some LOSE!!! :? ... Im so pissed rite now its unbelievable!!! This had to be the game of the year for us yet we let ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY slip away ...& they tried to GIVE IT TO US!!!

1st the guys came out FLAT FLAT FLAT and Ray Charles could have seen this in pregame. Not even close to the emotional status as last week. The gameday atmoshpere SUCKED IMO!!! I wasnt into it ...I felt as the players were not into it. It just sucked!! We play better and have more FIGHT on the road!!

2nd whats up with gameplanning? All week long you hear how UCA cant stop the run, TxSt likes to run ... then come gametime UCA stacks the box and DARES us to throw and are smashing our LIGHTS IN & SETTING a tone that WE SHOULD BE SETTING IN OUR OWN HOUSE ...cause we wont throw the DAYMN BALL!!! If i have said it once ill say it till someone gets a frickin clue ... IF YOU CANT RUN ...PASS!! One opens up the other ... GOOOOLL LEE!!! Still on 2nd and long we run the ball when we havent been successful all night ...making 3rd down virtually impossible. On the 1st play of the game... we run when theres 8 men in the box...WHY? You dont have to run on first down to start the game ... Imma tell Bobcat nation one thing and i hope SOMEONE listens up ...WE ARE NOT A RUNNING FOOTBALL TEAM .... WE ARE NOT A PASSING FOOTBALL TEAM ... WE ARE BALANCED!!! FIND SOMETHING THAT WORKS & GO WITH IT!!! Last week we beat McNeese because we started out with Passing and it opended up the running lanes. AGAIN One opens up the other ... IT SHOULDN'T take but one or two series to figure it out!! AGAIN COACHES ...figure out how to utilize your offense to counter attack the visiting teams weakness's

3rd Dont run Luke on screen passes when you have lil ass Mishak blocking for him :?:

For those who wasnt at the game UCA was TRYING TO HAND US THIS GAME ... PISS POOR play calling, Offensive line not giving BG time, recievers dropping passes, backs fumbling, and NOT EVEN LOOKING FOR YOUR ALL AMERICAN RECIEVER ...WHAAAAT ... R U SERIOUS? I know the boy be getting double covered but heres a secret to beat double coverage ... (see TEXAS TECH and MICHEAL CRABTREE) ...DRAG HIM ACROSS THE FEILD!!!EE) I dont know if anyone can figure it out but if Luke doesnt get at least 8 -10 LOOKS ...WE IN TROUBLE ON OFFENSE ... AND WE WAS!!! We left alot of points on that feild tonight ...This game could have separated us from the pack and put us in the drivers seat for the playoffs ...it just didnt seem like anyone wanted to TAKE IT ...IMO ...TONIGHT ... the coaching staff once again droped the ball ... Ill Prepared and thats the difference between winning and losing traditions ...Now we HAVE TO win out to have a chance

"They said Bo didn't know football ... Well my name ain't Bo"

Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀
Well the defense did their job by keeping the Bobcats in the game and not getting torched. Besides Nathan Brown's periodic scramble for about 8 yards each time he wanted to, the Bobcats seemed to adjust to whatever UCA was throwing at them. Yes, UCA missed 2 FGs, but thats just it... UCA wasn't able to go for a TD in the 2nd half until the KB fumble in the 4th Q. KB did attempt to make for the fumble by getting 2 big kickoff returns.

We were discussing this in the stands during the game and our guess was that UCA mau have been worried about the Bobcat Offense scoring/abilities hence the reasoning for the UCA long time consuming drives (unlike last year's UCA game when within 4-5 plays there was a TD by UCA). I kept waiting this game for the UCA long bombs to start dropping but they never did.

TXST punting game has to change.

I feel confident that the Bobcats will be in every game from here on out thru the rest of the season. The difference will be each game if they can take advantage of opportunities during the game (and not shoot themselves in the foot)

This was a major "game management" type game by both QBs

I agree with other posters there were not really any gotcha moments when there was a horrendous coaching call.

GO BOBCATS!

Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:00 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next