Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 The Season so Far: 

Is this season progressing how you thought it would? How do we look so far?
Poll ended at Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:37 pm
1) Yes. I believe that Coach Wright & staff have us on the right track. We're only a couple of turnovers away from 2-0! 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
2) Yes. I think we'll be fine but Coach Wright & staff need to be given a bit more time to implement their new Defense & establish a QB. 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
3) Undecided. I'm not at all sure what the direction of the program is at this point. 33%  33%  [ 21 ]
4) No. I have hope for the remainder of the season but I do not see us being a contender this year. 21%  21%  [ 13 ]
5) No. We are a few missed FG's away from being 0-2. What a disaster! Let's put Chaisson in & start building for the future. 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
6) See comments below. 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 63

The Season so Far: 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: The Season so Far:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
jack wrote:
CoastalTexan wrote:
For those who think we should fire and start over, who would the candidates be? I'm asking out of curiosity.

Brad Franchione, Blinn HC (obvious ties)

Mike Schultz, TCU OC (Sam grad)

Bob Connally, UTEP OC (one of best recruiters in country, player at A&M - Commerce)

Dana Holgorsen, UH OC (former Tech OC)

We hire a JUCO coach or a Sam grad, and Teis should be fired on the spot. You should be hung from the nearest tree for even suggesting SHSU. :-)

We shouldn't even be having this conversation... yet.

That said, I see a trend and think we'll go 5A this next time if something goes down at the end of the year: Larry Hill from Smithson Valley. At least he actually has a long history of winning, unlike Wright. And he's done it in a HS district best described as venomous. Had SV not peaked at the same time as Dodge at Southlake Carroll, he'd probably have a couple of trophies in the case. I'm honestly surprised Dodge didn't lure him to UNT since they are pretty close friends. Players love him and he is obviously talented, which is why he has coached the Army All-American game once or twice. If we started paying real money, I'd suggest him for an OC or DC.

My preference would be WTAMU's Carthel.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Wow, things must be terrible if you guys are wanting to replace Wright after 2 games.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Malleus wrote:
Wow, things must be terrible if you guys are wanting to replace Wright after 2 games.

I'm not the only slapdick in the room that wanted him gone after last season if that counts for anything. There's too much at stake here with the FBS move looming.

I would love to be proven wrong and Saturday is a great time to start doing so.

"We're going to Katy!"

Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:47 pm

Changing coaches every two or three years is one of the biggest problems with this program. We have had no continuity, no one has stayed here long enough to really build a program since 2003 and we had the Matsakis mess. With two exceptions no one has stayed more than three years in the past 22. Somehow we have got to find someone who will stay here and build a program and not do something knee jerk to get rid of him when he doesn't succeed in one or two seasons. Wright has been head coach for a total of 13 games.....13 GAMES. Give me a break. You want a successful program....then give the man some time to build one. He learned a lot from his mistakes last season, and this season is just getting started. HE seems to actually WANT to stay and take the program to the next level. How many successful coaches have we had that were willing to do that......NONE. True he hasn't been successful yet but again he has been here for 13 GAMES. I am usually not the one to get upset on this board but this conversation and talking about getting rid of a NEW head coach is just beyond my understanding.

DROPOUT CLASS OF '82Image

Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Amen, Robert W. Someone go back and look at the first years of Mack Brown @ North Carolina; Bobby Bowden in his first job (he was fired), Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech (his alma mater, incidentally). Beamer had terrible seasons before he got his program going.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Robert_W wrote:
Changing coaches every two or three years is one of the biggest problems with this program. We have had no continuity, no one has stayed here long enough to really build a program since 2003 and we had the Matsakis mess. With two exceptions no one has stayed more than three years in the past 22. Somehow we have got to find someone who will stay here and build a program and not do something knee jerk to get rid of him when he doesn't succeed in one or two seasons. Wright has been head coach for a total of 13 games.....13 GAMES. Give me a break. You want a successful program....then give the man some time to build one. He learned a lot from his mistakes last season, and this season is just getting started. HE seems to actually WANT to stay and take the program to the next level. How many successful coaches have we had that were willing to do that......NONE. True he hasn't been successful yet but again he has been here for 13 GAMES. I am usually not the one to get upset on this board but this conversation and talking about getting rid of a NEW head coach is just beyond my understanding.

QFT.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:43 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

littleo wrote:
Amen, Robert W. Someone go back and look at the first years of Mack Brown @ North Carolina; Bobby Bowden in his first job (he was fired), Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech (his alma mater, incidentally). Beamer had terrible seasons before he got his program going.

You're comparing Wright to Mack Brown, Bobby Bowden, & Frank Beamer?

Give me some of what you're drinking.

Seriously. Some coaches don't need to be here for 5 years to see what they can do (Matsakis is a prime example). Some coaches need a couple of years to get going, but show steady improvement every game.

I'm not saying that Wright should be let go already, but to blindly say that you have to give a head coach however long before you can fire him is absurd.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:

You're comparing Wright to Mack Brown, Bobby Bowden, & Frank Beamer?

Give me some of what you're drinking.

Seriously. Some coaches don't need to be here for 5 years to see what they can do (Matsakis is a prime example). Some coaches need a couple of years to get going, but show steady improvement every game.

I'm not saying that Wright should be let go already, but to blindly say that you have to give a head coach however long before you can fire him is absurd.

You're preaching to my choir, Rev. I'll hold my nose and let this entire board motherf_ck me if the Cats beat up on Northern Colorado and then proceed to dominate the Southland. In the meantime, I hope some of the superfans in here realize that Wright probably (not absolutely) isn't the answer the program needs to get to FBS respectability. I hope we win by ten TD's. Hell, twelve. But neither is going to happen realistically.

The talent is there. The school sits in one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the nation. Most of us have seen it with our own eyes. With the right leadership, there's no reason State can't be a USF or a Fresno State or a Troy at the FBS level. Problem is, losing to Abilene Christian and squeaking by Angelo State (and then at the same time declaring moral victories against Baylor and SMU) doesn't create any credibility.

I refuse to be a Wright nuthugger until he shows me that he's capable of leading this program to the next level. Hell, I'd settle for a four loss season at this point and we're only two games in. Wow me. Impress me. But I'm not going to sit with my hands on my _ss if we throw away another season and say this high school coach needs more time.

"We're going to Katy!"

Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:13 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Malleus wrote:

Not really it's the same few people trying to rattle the cage. Wright has only had the job for one full season and has recruited one of the best freshman classes this university has seen in years and yet a few sorry bobcats want to turn on him for no other reason than how he was hired and the fact he came from the High school ranks. The saddest part is they are bashing an alum at that. I bet these same folks pass up Bobcat resumes in favor of UT and Aggie in the professional work force also. I'd rather give a Bobcat a FAIR chance than kick him to the curve. No wonder we've had such a shitty past look at the loyalties that our coaches and PLAYERS have had to deal with. No wonder we can't keep coaches. Someone mentioned coach Dodge yea lots of success he's having at UNT. Another mentioned Franchione Jr. Yea lots of good his Dad did for us to expect anything less from little Fran is foolish. We can second guess every coach that isn't flashy and fire them after one season but what good would that do. Some of you folks just sicken me!!! For the players and coaches who read this board remember there are 10k+ fans that support you every game day. Don't let a few fair weather fans bring you down. We have faith in the Maroon and Gold and know you fight to the end for the name TEXAS STATE!!!

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:47 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Mr Bobcat wrote:
littleo wrote:

TXST kept DeBeese 4 years too long. The problem is the coaches who are worth anything move on and the ones who can't coach usually get to stay way too long.

Wright has been here since '04 so lets not act like he is brand spanking new. He helped recruit most of these kids under Bailiff and was Asst Head Coach.

Littleo I would love to think you are correct but I'm sure if bf.com was around in those days people would have been saying the same thing about DeBeese trying to compare him to coaches who get lots of time to turn things around.

Bottom line is once we find a coach worth their weight we need to pay them their fair market value and not lose them without a fight.

Is Wright the man? Don't know yet. But we don't need more than 3 years to find out. Honestly we only need 2 with the history he already has with this program. IMHO.

Now that I can agree to. It just sucks to check these boards and see the negativity because of the hate for Ties and the way Wright was hired. Should we give him six years? NO! We should at least let this season get rolling before we start ask for a new coach? Some of you are acting like its the third week of conference play instead of the third week of the season. Shit if players are reading these post I would hate to think what some of these comments do to the moral of the team. All I'm saying is give him the same chance any other coach would get. He's one of us and cares about the University. Not just some hot shot coach looking to take a big paycheck and move on to the next stop. If he can KEEP this team winning we might string together some wins and perhaps a few winning season. Would that be so bad?!?!

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:42 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Mr Bobcat wrote:
Mad_Cat wrote:
Malleus wrote:

Not really it's the same few people trying to rattle the cage. Wright has only had the job for one full season and has recruited one of the best freshman classes this university has seen in years and yet a few sorry bobcats want to turn on him for no other reason than how he was hired and the fact he came from the High school ranks. The saddest part is they are bashing an alum at that. I bet these same folks pass up Bobcat resumes in favor of UT and Aggie in the professional work force also. I'd rather give a Bobcat a FAIR chance than kick him to the curve. No wonder we've had such a crappy past look at the loyalties that our coaches and PLAYERS have had to deal with. No wonder we can't keep coaches. Someone mentioned coach Dodge yea lots of success he's having at UNT. Another mentioned Franchione Jr. Yea lots of good his Dad did for us to expect anything less from little Fran is foolish. We can second guess every coach that isn't flashy and fire them after one season but what good would that do. Some of you folks just sicken me!!! For the players and coaches who read this board remember there are 10k+ fans that support you every game day. Don't let a few fair weather fans bring you down. We have faith in the Maroon and Gold and know you fight to the end for the name TEXAS STATE!!!

To be honest with you Mad Cat I think your signiture is what most fans are asking for and wondering if this is what they have in Coach Wright.
Mad_Cat wrote:
We Must Demand The Best If We Are To Be The Best.

And that is why I guess I still have some confidence in coach Wright. every thing he has said and done tells me he demands the most from his team (players and staff) and is not the type of coach to accept failure. I doubt we will hire a Mac Brown or Pete Caroll any time soon. Also i've watched enough football to know that you never know what your going to get when it comes to Head coaches. you could spend a fortune and hire an NFL super Coach and still be one of the worst teams in the nation. NOTRE DAME or you could hire a no name and shock the world of College football Boise State.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:57 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Mad_Cat wrote:
Not really it's the same few people trying to rattle the cage. Wright has only had the job for one full season and has recruited one of the best freshman classes this university has seen in years and yet a few sorry bobcats want to turn on him for no other reason than how he was hired and the fact he came from the High school ranks. The saddest part is they are bashing an alum at that. I bet these same folks pass up Bobcat resumes in favor of UT and Aggie in the professional work force also. I'd rather give a Bobcat a FAIR chance than kick him to the curve. No wonder we've had such a crappy past look at the loyalties that our coaches and PLAYERS have had to deal with. No wonder we can't keep coaches. Someone mentioned coach Dodge yea lots of success he's having at UNT. Another mentioned Franchione Jr. Yea lots of good his Dad did for us to expect anything less from little Fran is foolish. We can second guess every coach that isn't flashy and fire them after one season but what good would that do. Some of you folks just sicken me!!! For the players and coaches who read this board remember there are 10k+ fans that support you every game day. Don't let a few fair weather fans bring you down. We have faith in the Maroon and Gold and know you fight to the end for the name TEXAS STATE!!!

Nice. I guess you can't debate the points that have been put forth about Wright, so just question their fanhood.

Such a cop out.

Also, since you neglected to point it out, the same folks that are calling for Wright's head (of which I still say I am not one of them) are the same folks that show up at EVERY HOME GAME and many away games.

Bottom line is this: You're simplistic view of "either you blindly support Wright or you're not a true fan" is 100% absurd.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:22 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
Mad_Cat wrote:

Nice. I guess you can't debate the points that have been put forth about Wright, so just question their fanhood.

Such a cop out.

Also, since you neglected to point it out, the same folks that are calling for Wright's head (of which I still say I am not one of them) are the same folks that show up at EVERY HOME GAME and many away games.

Bottom line is this: You're simplistic view of "either you blindly support Wright or you're not a true fan" is 100% absurd.

Why do I want to debate bias OPINIONS. Thats absurd. They wanted him fired before the season started. Second who said anything about blind support. I question their fan hood because they want to fire a coach after only two games into his second season and are bashing the crap out of his staff. We had one player who struggled and lost his nerve and we want to fire the coach! At least he pulled that player and saved one game and almost came back and won another. Which would have been our first FBS win. And is the closest we've played an FCS team in recent history. Our team could have caved and lost by more points but the coaches and players played to win that day and that is a reflection of the head coach whether you want to give him credit or not. Our defense stopped the pass happy SMU offense twice and are not getting any love. They didn't stop us once. Those are facts. We spotted them 21 points and still lost by only 11 points. We haven't even played a FCS team yet so it's unfair to say how good or bad this team is at this point in time. I've already gone on the record and said if we fail to improve on last season we need to reevaluate whether Wright is good for this team but I haven't heard the same from those who appose him should he succeed and doubt I will. To put it in even better perspective he went up against June Jones a $2million dollar coach with FBS reputation, talent, speed and numbers and lost by only 11 points. I can live with that. I think that night June Jones was the one worried about losing the game to our High School coach.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

Mad_Cat wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:
Mad_Cat wrote:

Such a cop out.

Why do I want to debate bias OPINIONS. Thats absurd. They wanted him fired before the season started. Second who said anything about blind support. I question their fan hood because they want to fire a coach after only two games into his second season and are bashing the crap out of his staff. We had one player who struggled and lost his nerve and we want to fire the coach! At least he pulled that player and saved one game and almost came back and won another. Which would have been our first FBS win. And is the closest we've played an FCS team in recent history. Our team could have caved and lost by more points but the coaches and players played to win that day and that is a reflection of the head coach whether you want to give him credit or not. Our defense stopped the pass happy SMU offense twice and are not getting any love. They didn't stop us once. Those are facts. We spotted them 21 points and still lost by only 11 points. We haven't even played a FCS team yet so it's unfair to say how good or bad this team is at this point in time. I've already gone on the record and said if we fail to improve on last season we need to reevaluate whether Wright is good for this team but I haven't heard the same from those who appose him should he succeed and doubt I will. To put it in even better perspective he went up against June Jones a $2million dollar coach with FBS reputation, talent, speed and numbers and lost by only 11 points. I can live with that. I think that night June Jones was the one worried about losing the game to our High School coach.

All of you "moral victory" guys need to stop saying we lost by 11 points! We should have lost by 18, but June Jones was merciful.

Also, we lost to one of the (if not the) worst team in FBS. Mitchell looked horrendous against both Rice and Tech. Neither of these teams are known for their defense. Our defense made him look like a Davey O'Brien award candidate.

If we had been beaten by 18...(my bad 11) points by TCU or similar level of competition......maybe I would buy into this moral victory bs

"The plaque for the #8 seed in Katy is down in the ladies room"

-IceMan

Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:04 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Mad_Cat wrote:
Why do I want to debate bias OPINIONS. Thats absurd.

I have seen many opinions stated, and just as many facts. Mainly, the opinions come from the sunshine crowd.

Mad_Cat wrote:
They wanted him fired before the season started.

I recall many calling for his head after the implosion that was teh second half of the SHSU game, but not a single one over the summer/before the season started. Everyone was riding high on the thing we continually hang our hat on: Great recruiting.

Mad_Cat wrote:
Second who said anything about blind support. I question their fan hood because they want to fire a coach after only two games into his second season and are bashing the crap out of his staff.

Ok, then, enlighten everyone: When is it ok to start calling for a coach's head? It's funny that some can't disagree without calling into question one's fanhood. Apparently, it's the only defense of some.

Mad_Cat wrote:
We had one player who struggled and lost his nerve and we want to fire the coach! At least he pulled that player and saved one game and almost came back and won another.

Call the spade a spade here: He lost one game (that everyone claims was VERY winnable), and squeaked out a win over a team that should never have been in it.

Mad_Cat wrote:
Which would have been our first FBS win.

Except it wasn't. It was a loss. You can paint it anyway you want to, but it was a loss. This moral victory doesn't count towards the 7 DI win requirement to get us into the playoffs.

Mad_Cat wrote:
And is the closest we've played an FCS team in recent history.

Except we haven't played an FCS team. If you mean this is the closest we have played a DII team in recent history, sadly... I think you might be right.

Mad_Cat wrote:
Our team could have caved and lost by more points but the coaches and players played to win that day and that is a reflection of the head coach whether you want to give him credit or not.

I give him credit when it's due. I also lay blame on him when it's due. The loss to SMU is at his feet. His actions after the Angelo State game are also at his feet. But kudos on beating a team a full division lower than us by 7 points at home!

Mad_Cat wrote:
Our defense stopped the pass happy SMU offense twice and are not getting any love.

Only in San Marcos will you find 370 yards in the air and 5 TD's a bonus. 41 points they hung on us. But twice we stopped 'em!

Mad_Cat wrote:
They didn't stop us once.

Yes they did. They stopped us with turnovers. You can claim we stopped ourselves (which would be a mark against our coach), but that's not true. Had their players not been in position to make the play, we'd have kept going.

Mad_Cat wrote:
We spotted them 21 points and still lost by only 11 points.

No, they scored 21 early, and we still lost. How is that in any way a positive?

Mad_Cat wrote:
We haven't even played a FCS team yet so it's unfair to say how good or bad this team is at this point in time. I've already gone on the record and said if we fail to improve on last season we need to reevaluate whether Wright is good for this team but I haven't heard the same from those who appose him should he succeed and doubt I will.

Does their stance make them any less of a fan than you? My whole point is that sort of statement is ridiculous, shortsighted, and quite frankly, lacking forethought.

Mad_Cat wrote:
To put it in even better perspective he went up against June Jones a $2million dollar coach with FBS reputation, talent, speed and numbers and lost by only 11 points. I can live with that.

The point can be made that your signature and your stance are at odds. That's great, though. Keep settling for losing.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:04 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next