Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Offseason Timekiller- Which do you choose? 

Is it better to get blownout by a "known team" than play a close game with (and possibly lose to) an FCS team?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
No 52%  52%  [ 11 ]
I don't really care 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 21

Offseason Timekiller- Which do you choose? 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Offseason Timekiller- Which do you choose?
Setup
I noticed something on gomeangreen that might be relevant to us in a couple of years. One of their fans questioned the fact that they only have 5 home games per year. Most of their OOC games are on the road, and in some cases body-bag games. The poster wondered why they don't bring in an FCS team as tune-up game at the start of the season. Some of their fans were worried about the possible upset.

North Texas since 2004 vs.
79-10 against Oklahoma
56-7 against Texas
54-7 against K-State
56-3 against LSU
65-0 against Texas

Meanwhile, Rice lost 16-14 against Nichols State, and App State beat Michigan by a last second Field Goal.

Two Questions relevant to Bobcat Sports--
1. Currently- we play D2 schools at the beginning of the season. The hope is to get another home game, get the kinks out, and start the season with a winning record. However, we have struggled in the past during some of these games. Do you trade this for a money game that we are more than likely going to lose?

2. Not to distant future- Now we are in the Belt or WAC. Is it better to get blownout by a "known team" than play a close game with (and possibly lose to) an FCS team?

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:31 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Offseason Timekiller- Which do you choose?
chrisattsu wrote:
Setup
I noticed something on gomeangreen that might be relevant to us in a couple of years. One of their fans questioned the fact that they only have 5 home games per year. Most of their OOC games are on the road, and in some cases body-bag games. The poster wondered why they don't bring in an FCS team as tune-up game at the start of the season. Some of their fans were worried about the possible upset.

North Texas since 2004 vs.
79-10 against Oklahoma
56-7 against Texas
54-7 against K-State
56-3 against LSU
65-0 against Texas

Meanwhile, Rice lost 16-14 against Nichols State, and App State beat Michigan by a last second Field Goal.

Two Questions relevant to Bobcat Sports--
1. Currently- we play D2 schools at the beginning of the season. The hope is to get another home game, get the kinks out, and start the season with a winning record. However, we have struggled in the past during some of these games. Do you trade this for a money game that we are more than likely going to lose?

2. Not to distant future- Now we are in the Belt or WAC. Is it better to get blownout by a "known team" than play a close game with (and possibly lose to) an FCS team?

You forgot choice "C", play a close came against a known opponent at their house. We'll say, Texas A&M in Kyle field. LOL.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

A blowout is never good regardless of the level of Play. No one respects teams that get Blown Out.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Right now i would like to play the easiest schedule possible. TxState just needs wins right now. Most people dont know who play anyways. But they do know our record.

Once we get closer to the I-A push i would rather play the big school for the big blowout and big payout. Money will be crucial. Plus it gets our name out there.
However, I do think it is good to have a few years mixed in where you dont play the impossible games if you can afford it. Its always good to have a confidence building year. And you never know... you could go on a run in conference and have a 9 or 10 win season.

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I also say go for the wins. Wins bring us fans, fans bring us money.

Take for example last season's opener against Cal Poly. I loved that game and it was an exciting time in Bobcatland. (I won't discuss what happened after that :s ). Now, replace that game with a blow-out loss to a Big-12ian. We have to drive all that way just to get the crap kicked out of us, and be embarrassed on TV (not that we weren't doing this already...).

Wins are fun, they raise morale, and keep people in the stadiums.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:18 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Location: Deep in the ❤ of Texas- Just down the road from THE TEXAS✯STATE University - ɯɐɹƃoɹԀ ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝıɹℲ ∀

Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:42 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]