Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Cart and Horse: MIllion Dollar Coaches 

What Should the Student money go toward First?
Coaching Salaries 60%  60%  [ 15 ]
Stadium Improvements 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 25

Cart and Horse: MIllion Dollar Coaches 
True Bobcat Fan

I said coaches because if we need to get the big "W" before we can fill our stadium. It would be nice to have a stadium that can seat 18-20,000 people, but in all seriousness, who is going to come to the games if we get blow-out losses and marginal wins over weak teams? We need to get a winning coach who can stay. I know a lot of people think we should have tried to dig up some more money to keep Baliff because of the 2005 season, but our very next season, we went 5-6 (not to mention the whole "knee" fiasco...). No point in paying extra money for a coach who doesn't have the "winning spirit" in him. If we look outside of our EZC and shop around for a coach with some real college football experience and a history of winning, then the fans will come. When the fans start coming, so do the donations.

just my 2c for what its worh

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:00 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'll drink to some of that. Bailiff was, what? A .500 coach? Maybe just a little better? I liked the guy, think he was a PR dream, and would love him as an AD, but while you can't deny everything he did for us, let's not credit him with a winnign tradition by any means. You guys talk about keeping coaches vs. building stadiums. First, and I'm not saying Wright can't be this, we have to FIND the right coach.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:35 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'll drink to some of that. Bailiff was, what? A .500 coach? Maybe just a little better? I liked the guy, think he was a PR dream, and would love him as an AD, but while you can't deny everything he did for us, let's not credit him with a winnign tradition by any means. You guys talk about keeping coaches vs. building stadiums. First, and I'm not saying Wright can't be this, we have to FIND the right coach.

Coach Wright has won my confidence for two reasons.
1- He didn't hesitate to replace the DC after last season performance and did a hellova job finding a replacement.

2- He brought in one of the best classes of recruits that TXST has ever landed and addressed the problems on defense.

Everything he has done so far has shown me he is here to win. When the team makes the playoffs this season he deserves the credit for putting this group of players and coaches together and I will be one of the first to say pay the man.

If our defense comes through like it should it is going to be a great time to be a season ticket holder!!! ||:-||

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SanMarcosWay wrote:

1- He didn't hesitate to replace the DC after last season performance and did a hellova job finding a replacement.

2- He brought in one of the best classes of recruits that TXST has ever landed and addressed the problems on defense.

Everything he has done so far has shown me he is here to win. When the team makes the playoffs this season he deserves the credit for putting this group of players and coaches together and I will be one of the first to say pay the man.

If our defense comes through like it should it is going to be a great time to be a season ticket holder!!! ||:-||

Just to clairfy he said that wright could be the right guy he just doesnt want to throw money at people who havent proven themselves.

But as for your comments about Wright, I agree. I Wright made a ton of mistakes last year. But this offseason he has trying to address all of them.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Mad_Cat wrote:
SanMarcosWay wrote:

Just to clairfy he said that wright could be the right guy he just doesnt want to throw money at people who havent proven themselves.

But as for your comments about Wright, I agree. I Wright made a ton of mistakes last year. But this offseason he has trying to address all of them.

Coach Wright is a student of the game, which is hard to find these days in the coaching ranks where everyone wants to create their own style (i.e. Matsakis and his sharks and no punt offense). BW is more an X's and O's kind of guy, who can admit mistakes and take the time and effort to correct them. I like what he did in the offseason. I believe in bonuses, but not random coaching increases where the coach might have one good season (read Bailiff), and then you overpay for a .500 coach (see Rice and Bailiff). Consistent winning is what got coaches the payraises back in the ol' days. Worked for Bowden and Joe Pa. Best way to go.

****For my two cents, Matsakis was likewise overpaid considering the resume he had when he got here.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:04 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

west_texas_Cat wrote:
Mad_Cat wrote:
SanMarcosWay wrote:

Coach Wright is a student of the game, which is hard to find these days in the coaching ranks where everyone wants to create their own style (i.e. Matsakis and his sharks and no punt offense). BW is more an X's and O's kind of guy, who can admit mistakes and take the time and effort to correct them. I like what he did in the offseason. I believe in bonuses, but not random coaching increases where the coach might have one good season (read Bailiff), and then you overpay for a .500 coach (see Rice and Bailiff). Consistent winning is what got coaches the payraises back in the ol' days. Worked for Bowden and Joe Pa. Best way to go.

****For my two cents, Matsakis was likewise overpaid considering the resume he had when he got here.

I agree with everything you just said. When I said I would be the first to say pay the man. I was refering to a bonus. I would like to see the AD offer a retainer for the coaches offering another 100K for the next season following a successful year mearly because it seams other Texas FBS teams want to steal our coaches after just one or two good seasons( Bailiff and Franchione). There is now way at the current salary we offer now that we can expect a good coach to hang around long enough to BUILD our football program. If we offer a retainer the coach knows he will get another 100k for sticking around each successfull season. If he leaves prematurely he leaves the cah on the table. For example

Lets say in this season 2008 Coach Wright wins the conference and takes us two rounds into the playoffs. We have an established bonus of 50K for each round we win.
50K x2= 100K for the HC and Staff.
For having a great season HC gets another 100K added to his 2009 with the stipulation he completes the season. If the coach stays and has same results as previous season his his 2009 salary can look like this

Current Base 250K
Play off Bonus 50K x2= 100k
Retainer 100K

total payout for 2009 season=450K

If coach does poorly we pay him his 350k and remove the 100k for the following season.

Bailiff 2005 salary would have been 450K
His 2006 salary would have been 350K

Rice offered him 500K if he wuold have won the third round game it would have been 500K. If he would have won the National Championship he would walk away with 550K A Championship in 2006 would have made him 650K. That my friends would be tuff to leave behind don't you think? Think he would have taken a knee knowing another $100K was on the line? By the way I also feel the HC should have the right to distribute bonus pay between the entire coaching Staff. We need Alumni and supporters to make this a reality.

50K to some Alumni is pocket change. Do I hear any big fish out there willing to step up together? How about Medium Fish? Let match the efforts of the students by putting this Bonus package together for the AD. Like another poster mentioned earlier Mack Browns pay come mostly fron Donations. This is Texas State we(alumni) should be able to do this.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Delaware just signed their coach for TEN years. thats pretty effin big for FCS.

NEWARK, Del. -- University of Delaware football head coach K.C. Keeler, who in just six seasons at the helm has led the Blue Hens to national prominence with an NCAA title in 2003 and a national runner-up finish this past fall, has been granted a 10-year contract extension, UD Director of Athletics Edgar Johnson announced Thursday.

In keeping with University policy, further details on the contract will not be disclosed. The extension will keep Keeler as head coach of the Blue Hens through the 2017 season.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football ... rsign.html

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:48 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Delaware just signed their coach for TEN years. thats pretty effin big for FCS.

NEWARK, Del. -- University of Delaware football head coach K.C. Keeler, who in just six seasons at the helm has led the Blue Hens to national prominence with an NCAA title in 2003 and a national runner-up finish this past fall, has been granted a 10-year contract extension, UD Director of Athletics Edgar Johnson announced Thursday.

In keeping with University policy, further details on the contract will not be disclosed. The extension will keep Keeler as head coach of the Blue Hens through the 2017 season.

http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/football ... rsign.html

wow, dumb career decision on his part IMO.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:43 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2