Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cart and Horse: MIllion Dollar Coaches 

What Should the Student money go toward First?
Coaching Salaries 60%  60%  [ 15 ]
Stadium Improvements 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 25

 Cart and Horse: MIllion Dollar Coaches 
Author Message
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:07 am
Posts: 3275
Location: San Marcos, TX.
Reply with quote
Post Cart and Horse: MIllion Dollar Coaches
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... over_x.htm

Contracts for college coaches cover more than salaries

.....Top conferences, top salaries

Overall salary packages are the biggest in college football's six biggest, richest conferences — the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pacific-10 and SEC. There, excluding bonuses, USA TODAY found the average coach's salary is $1.4 million. That's more than three times the average of $419,000 in Conference USA, the Mountain West, Western Athletic, Mid-American and Sun Belt.

"I don't think people are going to pay the salaries if they don't have the money," says Texas athletics director DeLoss Dodds. "If you've got the revenue, you're going to stay in the marketplace. If you don't, you can't."

That's the rationale at Iowa, where Ferentz, in his eighth season as the Hawkeyes coach, has won 44 games and two Big Ten championships in the past five seasons. The financial aspects of his original eight-year contract were to "not be renegotiated within three years" of its October 2004 signing, but nonetheless were this May.

The school is counting on revenues from private suites, outdoor club seats and other amenities geared to wealthier fans to cover the cost of an $87 million stadium renovation. Sustaining football's success is key to keeping those patrons happy, and the 51-year-old Ferentz is seen as the instrument of that success.

"And so," Bowlsby says, "negotiation with a coach who had brought great stability to the program seemed to make good sense. Now, I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would be negotiating a contract with a coach with a $2.8 million base. But that's where we've gotten to."

A former NFL offensive line coach, Ferentz has seen his value spike in the wake of approaches in recent years by rival colleges and pro teams. He interviewed with the Jacksonville Jaguars after the 2002 season. Ferentz withdrew from consideration. He received a $72,800 raise, according to The Des Moines Register.

Ferentz's compensation was re-worked again in May. His base salary is $1.4 million this year, and he's guaranteed another $1.4 million in supplemental compensation for radio and TV and other obligations. He also got a $400,000 longevity bonus for still being at Iowa last June 1 and a $1.4 million "one-time lump sum payment" when the school reworked his deal.

Ferentz can get $75,000 for getting his team to a bowl game that pays at least $1 million to each team.

He has made a point of giving back, donating $100,000 with his wife, Mary, to Iowa's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences several years ago, and last week announcing gifts of $150,000 to the college and $250,000 to the University of Iowa Children's Hospital.

Ferentz was a 10th-grader in Pennsylvania when he decided he wanted to coach for a living. He's still doing it for love, not the money, he says, though "I've learned it's silly to leave money on the table. ... I've learned, too, that they fire you besides hire you. It's the reality of what we do."

Are players overlooked?

The schools have their own realities. Those straining budgets to pay their marquee coaches top dollar have been forced to tighten their belts elsewhere. And to seek out additional revenue. Transylvania (Ky.) University accounting professor Dan Fulks, who conducts the NCAA's biennial study of athletics finances, says the use and amount of student fees as a supplement are trending up, especially at schools without big football stadiums or significant ticket sales.

The more coaches are paid, meanwhile, the louder the argument that the sport's most essential personnel — players allowed little more than scholarships covering room, board, books and tuition — are under-compensated and exploited. "They're saving tens of millions by not paying their players," Zimbalist says. "So they spend it on coaches."

Individual institutions could take a stand. Says Baughman: "I'm waiting to see one of those schools step up and say, 'At the next time of a coaching change, we will not be in this marketplace.' "

Fulks expects football revenues to level off, and that could force schools to apply the brakes. But not shift into reverse.

"I don't think you can unring the bell. I don't think we're going to one day decide these coaches aren't worth the money and start paying them $800,000 a year again," Bowlsby says. "How does that happen? I think the answer is it doesn't."

_________________
Semper Fidelis
"A bobcat will fight you with everything he has: with four claws, teeth, speed and brains."
-Oscar Strahan


Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:46 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7825
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post 
Coaches need to demonstrate the ability to win at their present or their new school before they get hefty checks. See the Dennis Francione fiasco.


Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:37 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:33 pm
Posts: 1340
Reply with quote
Post 
Always spend money to make money.

If anyone has seen the difference between 15,000 plus attendence rates back at the end of '05 season to the 4,000 in attence at the Thuirsday game last year knows that TSU fans (I'm talking about the 11,000 delta here people) are for the most part bandwagon fans.

I voted for 'Coaching' in this poll in the mindframe that if we hire & pay the best staff the wins will come (yes, in a perfect world understood) and with the wins the other 11,000 fans will show up each Saturday. With double the attendence the money will eventually come and might fund the expansion etc.


Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:07 am
Posts: 3275
Location: San Marcos, TX.
Reply with quote
Post 
Ok let's play this out. Let's say our team wins the conferance out right and goes deep into the playoffs. Attendance is up and the vibe is good press is good. Our coach gets good press. Talk about moving to FBS is every where. Sound familiar? What happens next.

I believe one of the key factors that will ensure we succeed in our attempt to go FBS is to make sure we put a stop to the revolving door that is our Football Head Coaching position. We will never be consistant at winning if we continue to let our Coaches walk out for mid major programs and mud major coaching salaries.

Let's put another 50k on the table for the HC should we win the conferance. Another 10k for each assistant. 100k for HC should we win the Championship and 100k retainer for the next year. All together that's still less than the cost of Phase I of the Stadium Improvements.

Thoughts?


Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:42 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7825
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post 
Mad_Cat wrote:
Ok let's play this out. Let's say our team wins the conferance out right and goes deep into the playoffs. Attendance is up and the vibe is good press is good. Our coach gets good press. Talk about moving to FBS is every where. Sound familiar? What happens next.

I believe one of the key factors that will ensure we succeed in our attempt to go FBS is to make sure we put a stop to the revolving door that is our Football Head Coaching position. We will never be consistant at winning if we continue to let our Coaches walk out for mid major programs and mud major coaching salaries.

Let's put another 50k on the table for the HC should we win the conferance. Another 10k for each assistant. 100k for HC should we win the Championship and 100k retainer for the next year. All together that's still less than the cost of Phase I of the Stadium Improvements.

Thoughts?



Kinda like incentives and bonuses? Goes in line with what I'm saying, win first and we'll make it worth your while. I'm all for that.


Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:16 am
Profile
SuperCat

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:05 pm
Posts: 100
Reply with quote
Post 
How about giving the coaches a specified percentage of the tickets sold for each game as a bonus plus so much money as a bonus for a win over a IAA or IA college team. This would get the coaches involved in promoting ticket sales. The coaching staff could decide how the bonuses are split up among the coaches. The more tickets that are sold the greater the bonus.


Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:47 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:07 am
Posts: 3275
Location: San Marcos, TX.
Reply with quote
Post 
Yes bonuses but also salary increases. My concern is not having money set aside for a bidding war with an FBS School. We lost Bailiff for a 500K Salary to a team that has lost just as many if not more games than we have. We should have funds set aside for just this reason. Also to have in the event our coach is not performing well or does decide to leave for whatever reason. We should be able to offer salaries to compete with those same teams.

_________________
Semper Fidelis
"A bobcat will fight you with everything he has: with four claws, teeth, speed and brains."
-Oscar Strahan


Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:35 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7825
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post 
Mad_Cat wrote:
Yes bonuses but also salary increases. My concern is not having money set aside for a bidding war with an FBS School. We lost Bailiff for a 500K Salary to a team that has lost just as many if not more games than we have. We should have funds set aside for just this reason. Also to have in the event our coach is not performing well or does decide to leave for whatever reason. We should be able to offer salaries to compete with those same teams.



I'm sorry, but there is no FCS school that can afford that, not even Montana or Appalachian State. As I recall, Bailiff was one of the highest paid coaches in FCS. He wanted to coach in FBS, money had a little to do with it, but he probably saw Rice as the next stepping stone to a TCU or TT coaching job (only examples, not that he would have a chance at either school).


Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:35 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:07 am
Posts: 3275
Location: San Marcos, TX.
Reply with quote
Post 
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Mad_Cat wrote:
Yes bonuses but also salary increases. My concern is not having money set aside for a bidding war with an FBS School. We lost Bailiff for a 500K Salary to a team that has lost just as many if not more games than we have. We should have funds set aside for just this reason. Also to have in the event our coach is not performing well or does decide to leave for whatever reason. We should be able to offer salaries to compete with those same teams.



I'm sorry, but there is no FCS school that can afford that, not even Montana or Appalachian State. As I recall, Bailiff was one of the highest paid coaches in FCS. He wanted to coach in FBS, money had a little to do with it, but he probably saw Rice as the next stepping stone to a TCU or TT coaching job (only examples, not that he would have a chance at either school).


You're right there probably aren't very many if any FCS teams that take such precautions. I am willing to bet there are many successful FBS teams that do. I also stand by my statement. If we want to become the Dominant team many of us feel we can be, we need to have funds reserved for bonuses/retainers and salary negotiations. We need to quit being the step ladder to the Mid Major programs. We need to show the FBS Mid Majors iif they want to take one of our coaches it's going to cost them and if our coaches decide to leave for those offers it will cost then just the same. We need to make a statement that we are serious about turning our programs around and we will do everything in our power to retain the good coaches and replace the bad ones with coaches that are worth putting up dollars for. I see the fee increase as an opportunity to set aside such funds. Like I said the 300-400K that we can set aside for Salary increases is a fraction of the cost it will take to expand the stadium. Don't get me wrong I want to see the Stadium completed. But I want a winning program and fans to fill the seats more!!

_________________
Semper Fidelis
"A bobcat will fight you with everything he has: with four claws, teeth, speed and brains."
-Oscar Strahan


Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:21 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:15 pm
Posts: 1704
Location: Austin, TX
Reply with quote
Post 
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
He wanted to coach in FBS, money had a little to do with it, but he probably saw Rice as the next stepping stone to a TCU or TT coaching job (only examples, not that he would have a chance at either school).


Rice is only a stepping stone to the unemployment line. He wanted the f-out of San Marcos and from under the existing AD.


Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:20 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:01 pm
Posts: 1445
Reply with quote
Post 
I would like to see us spend the money on advisors...bringing people in from other schools that have already made the jump so that we can prepare for what might occur.


Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:25 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:01 pm
Posts: 1445
Reply with quote
Post 
I also like the idea of spending some money on coaching incentives...the problem is we have to make specific renovations to the stadium before we can make a jump and it's going to be expensive...where would the money come from to make the renovations if we spend it on coaching?


Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:30 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:07 am
Posts: 3275
Location: San Marcos, TX.
Reply with quote
Post 
Spursfan20 wrote:
I also like the idea of spending some money on coaching incentives...the problem is we have to make specific renovations to the stadium before we can make a jump and it's going to be expensive...where would the money come from to make the renovations if we spend it on coaching?


Granted this would be the perfect ending to the scenario I started earlier. Coach gets offers from UNT and UTEP after taking the Bobcats to the third round if the Playoffs. AD announces his seriousness in taking TXST to FBS by announcing a new incentive package for HC and Assistants, bringing new HC salary w/ bonuses to 450K with another 100K bonus for every season we make the playoffs. HC decides to stay and build his legacy hear at :texasstate:. Alumni gains new confidence in the AD's efforts to stear our program in new direction. Not to mention confidence in the coaches ablity to take us to the FBS with a National Championship on our resume. Drive Campaign kicks into over drive and donations increase to help begin construction on the stadium.



I love happy endings.... :-||

_________________
Semper Fidelis
"A bobcat will fight you with everything he has: with four claws, teeth, speed and brains."
-Oscar Strahan


Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:44 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:15 pm
Posts: 1704
Location: Austin, TX
Reply with quote
Post 
Mad_Cat wrote:
Granted this would be the perfect ending to the scenario I started earlier. Coach gets offers from UNT and UTEP after taking the Bobcats to the third round if the Playoffs. AD announces his seriousness in taking TXST to FBS by announcing a new incentive package for HC and Assistants, bringing new HC salary w/ bonuses to 450K with another 100K bonus for every season we make the playoffs.


The problem with any scenario is that all the big salaries aren't paid by the university...it's paid by athletic donations. For example, if you go look up Mack Brown's contract on coacheshotseat.com, UT picks up the tab on $480K of his salary. Donations take care of the other $2.4M. $480K isn't even worth putting in the checkbook ledger at UT but that's far, far more than we can afford to pay and would get us to the lower tier of FBS salaries.

Until we get donations up around 1,000% of where they are right now, we won't ever have the finances to pay more than we do right now.


Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:43 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:07 am
Posts: 3275
Location: San Marcos, TX.
Reply with quote
Post 
achtungpv wrote:
Mad_Cat wrote:
Granted this would be the perfect ending to the scenario I started earlier. Coach gets offers from UNT and UTEP after taking the Bobcats to the third round if the Playoffs. AD announces his seriousness in taking TXST to FBS by announcing a new incentive package for HC and Assistants, bringing new HC salary w/ bonuses to 450K with another 100K bonus for every season we make the playoffs.


The problem with any scenario is that all the big salaries aren't paid by the university...it's paid by athletic donations. For example, if you go look up Mack Brown's contract on coacheshotseat.com, UT picks up the tab on $480K of his salary. Donations take care of the other $2.4M. $480K isn't even worth putting in the checkbook ledger at UT but that's far, far more than we can afford to pay and would get us to the lower tier of FBS salaries.

Until we get donations up around 1,000% of where they are right now, we won't ever have the finances to pay more than we do right now.


Just about every program I've seen that has a legacy has a coach that got them there. Once the team is consistently winning the fan support will build up and the Alumni support will too. If the AD/ Student fees can bear the burden just for a few years the support will follow. Key is to hold on to a winner. Look at how much press and fan support the university had with just one winning season. Imagine the support that would build up if the winning would have continued. We sold out a 15k seat stadium three nights in a row and nearly sold out our opener the following year. Winning cures every thing. Coaches build winning programs. It's up to the Alumni and AD to keep the coaches happy. Notice I put the Alumni first. :-||

_________________
Semper Fidelis
"A bobcat will fight you with everything he has: with four claws, teeth, speed and brains."
-Oscar Strahan


Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:49 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group