Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 TXST:Gold Team Scores a 15-9 Come-From-Behind Win... 

How Do You Feel About Next Season
Better, Defense is back on Track 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
Not So Good, Defense still Needs Work 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ask me In August 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 19

TXST:Gold Team Scores a 15-9 Come-From-Behind Win... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post TXST:Gold Team Scores a 15-9 Come-From-Behind Win...
http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m ... 08aaa.html

Gold Team Scores a 15-9 Come-From-Behind Win In Annual Spring Football Game

Bradley George throws winning touchdown pass

April 12, 2008

Maroon-Gold Game Stats in PDF Format

San Marcos, Texas - Two-year starting quarterback Bradley George threw two touchdown passes to lead the Gold team to a 15-9 victory over the Maroon team at the annual Texas State Maroon-Gold Spring Football game Saturday night at Bobcat Stadium.

"The offense stepped up and made some plays at the end," Texas State head coach Brad Wright said. "We backed off a little defensively after adding a lot the last couple of weeks. When the offense knows where you are going to be standing, they have an advantage.

"The guest coaches did a good job and had fun. Our players also had fun and that is what this was all about."

George hit John Gilley on a two-yard pass for the Gold team's first score in the game. Then, with just 1:08 remaining to play in the game and his team trailing 15-9, George hit Blake Burton for a 31-yard strike to put give the Gold squad its first lead in the game. Then he threw a pass to All-Southland Conference receiver Cameron Luke for the two-point conversion.

"Bradley has gotten better at knowing where to throw a pass," Wright said. "He has to throw a short pass when it is there and not force the long ball so much. He has gotten better at that this spring."

The Maroon team tried to come back as Clint Toon drove the team down to the Gold 11-yard line. The drive started with Toon being sacked twice to set up a third-down and 20-yards to go from the 10-yard line. But, following a pass interference penalty gave the Maroon second life with a first down on its own 24-yard line, Toon's hit wide receiver Da'Marcus Griggs for a 26-yard catch at the 50-yard line.

Then, he hit Griggs for 39 more yards down the left sideline at the Gold team's 11-yard line. But with seven seconds remaining to play, his final two passes fell incomplete to give the Gold team the victory.

George, who threw for 2,099 yards last season as a sophomore, hit eight of his 10 passes in the game for 119 yards. Alvaro Garcia also threw for 31 yards after completing two of his four passes for the Gold team.

Toon completed 13 of his 17 passes for 177 yards and one touchdown for the Maroon squad. That came on the opening drive of the game when he hit Alvin Canady out of the backfield for an eight-yard score to give the Maroon team a 7-0 lead.

That is how the first quarter ended before the Gold team tied the score a 7-7 with 11:42 left to play in the second period on George's first touchdown pass.

The Maroon team drove to midfield on their next possession before the drive stalled. Sophomore Andrew Semar pinned the Gold team back deep in their own territory when his punt went out of bounds at the one-yard line.

After Blake Burton ran for four yards to the five-yard line for the Maroon team, Donavan King sacked Garcia in the end zone for a safety to give the Maroon squad a 9-7 lead.

The score remained that way until George through his second touchdown pass of the game in the final 1:08 of the game.

Southland Conference Offensive Freshman of the Year and Second-Team All-SLC running back Karrington Bush rushed six times for 44 yards and senior Stan Zwinggi ran three times for 24 yards for the Gold team.

Corey Scott caught two passes for 63 yards, and Burton caught two passes for 44 yards, including the winning touchdown reception.

Canady finished the game with 10 carries for 48 yards in addition to his eight-yard touchdown catch for the Maroon squad. Kindre McClure also had five carries for 21 yards for the Maroon.

Andrew Brooks caught six passes for 42 yards to go along with Griggs' two catches on the final drive in the game.

Defensively, in addition to sacking Garcia for the safety, King led the Maroon team with six tackles, and Courtney Smith led the Gold team with nine tackles. Smith also registered three sacks and Brian Quackenbush had three sacks to go along with his five tackles for the Gold squad.

Texas State opens its 2008 schedule against Angelo State on August 30.

Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:16 pm
Site Admin

I didn't see enough to make a good decision yet.

However, what I did see made me excited for the upcoming football season.

DL was outstanding.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Casey, why don't we downgrade "DL outstanding" to DL better. The DL does have some promise. Thompson and Williams makes me feel good about CB although depth is probably not good. LBs, where were they. Every once in a while they would do something good but for the most part they left me worried. OL is like the DL, showing some promise. QB could be solid but behind BG and Toon I didn't see much. RBs, what a monster group. WRs, there Luke and then ....? TEs are looking pretty good also. Brooks looked real good. But, we may see some changes by August, QB could be one. Just my opinion.
Bill

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

If the final score was 15-9...how'd this occur?

Quote:
George hit John Gilley on a two-yard pass for the Gold team's first score in the game. Then, with just 1:08 remaining to play in the game and his team trailing 15-9, George hit Blake Burton for a 31-yard strike to put give the Gold squad its first lead in the game. Then he threw a pass to All-Southland Conference receiver Cameron Luke for the two-point conversion.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Maroon: TD + Point After = 7pts

Gold: Safety = 2pts (9 total)

Maroon: TD + 2pt Conv. = 8 pts (15 total)

Maroon 15, Gold 9

Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Gold: TD + Point After = 7pts

Maroon: TD + Point After = 7pts

Gold: Safety = 2pts (9 total)

Maroon: TD + 2pt Conv. = 8 pts (15 total)

Maroon 15, Gold 9

Okay, I understand that...but the story states that George got the go-ahead TD with his team trailing 15-9. If your team is trailing 15-9 and you give your squad a lead, how does the score end up 15-9...?

Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:31 pm

Not sure but the author of the story MAY have been a Sam Houston State math major. Just sayin'

:shootsh: :lol:

DROPOUT CLASS OF '82Image

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SWTBG, I would say your comments are spot on. Dunk spent most of his playing time as an outside receiver. He will make a good possesion reciever with his size, but he is slow. Apparently, Brooks is making his move at tight end. Man, at 6-7 and 260, he is imposing. Toon was working against the second team defense and those linebackers were blowing a lot of passing assignments. To his credit, he completed the passes. He has much quicker feet than BG, but only half the arm.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:48 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

WRs, there Luke and then ....?

Don't forget about Corey Scott. I think he will have a break out year since Luke will be probably have 11 man coverage on him.

:-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-||

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:26 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SWTBG wrote:

Don't forget about Corey Scott. I think he will have a break out year since Luke will be probably have 11 man coverage on him.

Da'Marcus Griggs has also shown some talent too. Who knows how he would have done last year if not blowing out a knee in the first game.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:08 am
Site Admin

El GATO LOCO wrote:
SWTBG wrote:

Da'Marcus Griggs has also shown some talent too. Who knows how he would have done last year if not blowing out a knee in the first game.

Yup, at the end of the game you know who Toons was going to throw to and so did the defense. Everbody knows the pass was going to Grig's as the last 3 passes did. He caugth 2 of them as they marched the ball down the field.

Adrian Thomas is also a very dependable WR that will get alot of PT.

Our WR platoon is looking solid.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I was not able to see the Spring Game like I planned but I like the fact we focused on defense and are continuing to build on what was a very productive offense. Noting helps to put more points on the board than a short field to work with. I listened to the game and Coach Bleil was praised constantly. He was described as an aggressive defensive coordinator that likes to attack. The article I posted also indicated the defense was limited during the spring game. I like what is coming from people in the know and I think Coach Bleil and his defense are exactly
what this team was needing. ||:-||

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I am sorry, I dont like to be critical but that article was bad. Very tough to follow. It looks like something I would write on a message board.

The good thing is that it was about bobcat football and had the only two things i was really looking for... names and stats.

As for WR this is who i see in the fall:

WR:
Luke
Griggs
Martinson

Slot:
LeBlanc
Rivas

WR:
Scott
Thomas
Hickerson

I also see Jamal Williams at the Slot, but i noticed the had 6 tackles. Is he playing defense? Hes not a real flashy but he is a solid all around player. Ive been a fan of this guy since he got here and feel will find the field.

Other notes:
Only 4 penalties, zero fumbles and not major injuries??? To me, that right there is a successful spring game!

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:17 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]