Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Tonight is The Night 

Do you support the legislation?
Yes 81%  81%  [ 29 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 36

Tonight is The Night 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Those of you who say we don't know where we are going should refresh yourself with the plan that was put together by the committee and approved by the President. It has very clear goals about winning championships, building fan support, building new facilities, adding on to existing facilities, fundraising and a timeline to achieve all of those goals. I think the issue that most of you have are the people that are in leadership positions to make that plan a reality, and I don't blame you for having those doubts.

Yes, the glorious plan. It solves everything.

I seem to recall a plan laid out for the baseball/softball complex too. How's that working out for us?

Bottom line: Plans, vision, and money mean nothing without accountability. When people like Teis are allowed to run with no accountability for their actions (or lack thereof), you get stagnant (or even regressive) results, as we have.

Want proof? Look at donations, commissioner's cup standings, and membership to teh BAF (or whatever they're calling it these days) and tell me why Larry still has a job.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: "severely outgrown?"
Freightliner wrote:
I as well have to agree with TT and Mal on this one...

Show me the proof where we have "severely outgrown" the Southland Conference

And some folks wonder why we get poor officiating at SLC athletic events.... :roll: Badmouthing the conference youre currently residing in really doesnt help....Plus that comment will be instant bulletinboard material in every SLC locker room.

Man the firehoses folks....the flames are gonna be pouring out from everywhere.

Yup!!! It's been 8 years since the proposed I-A move and we're essentially in the same spot we were in 2000-01.

1.) A stadium too small for I-A football.
2.) 4-7 seasons galore.
3.) No new baseball/softball complex that would be required for I-A membership.
4.) No revisions to Strahan Coliseum, making it an attractive venue for "I-A basketball"
5.) Decline in donations.
6.) No reasonable possibility of getting into a I-A conference other than the Slumbelt.
7.) An administration that takes not only an inactive, but actually stands in the way of progress that a state university's athletic programs can do to the overall goals of The University.
8.) No summer schollies (at least if I have read correctly.
9.) The incentive to build onto the current stadium through Bobcat Club perks has been decreased significantly.
10.) No names and $$$ attached to the athletic structures on campus.

Get a grip folks, we're soooooooo far out our league (in a negative way).

And guess what? The Teis era has been a MAJOR boondoggle.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:20 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: "severely outgrown?"
Malleus wrote:
Freightliner wrote:
I as well have to agree with TT and Mal on this one...

Show me the proof where we have "severely outgrown" the Southland Conference

And some folks wonder why we get poor officiating at SLC athletic events.... :roll: Badmouthing the conference youre currently residing in really doesnt help....Plus that comment will be instant bulletinboard material in every SLC locker room.

Man the firehoses folks....the flames are gonna be pouring out from everywhere.

Yup!!! It's been 8 years since the proposed I-A move and we're essentially in the same spot we were in 2000-01.

1.) A stadium too small for I-A football.
2.) 4-7 seasons galore.
3.) No new baseball/softball complex that would be required for I-A membership.
4.) No revisions to Strahan Coliseum, making it an attractive venue for "I-A basketball"
5.) Decline in donations.
6.) No reasonable possibility of getting into a I-A conference other than the Slumbelt.
7.) An administration that takes not only an inactive, but actually stands in the way of progress that a state university's athletic programs can do to the overall goals of The University.
8.) No summer schollies (at least if I have read correctly.
9.) The incentive to build onto the current stadium through Bobcat Club perks has been decreased significantly.
10.) No names and $$$ attached to the athletic structures on campus.

Get a grip folks, we're soooooooo far out our league (in a negative way).

And guess what? The Teis era has been a MAJOR boondoggle.

The students are just trying to do what they can do to make Texas State a more complete university.

They will be the ones to fund the new baseball/softball complex and the additions to Bobcat Stadium. They are just doing every thing in there power.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:37 pm

There have been people for years (including myself) who have wanted Texas State to compete at the top level in every single sport and now that the students are taking the biggest step in the history of the University to make that happen all I see is complaining. Let's back the students and congratulate them on taking a step that none of us pushed when we were students (and I did spend a semester on student government) and then hold the University and Athletic Department leadership accountable for using the money to make our facilities all that we want them to be. This is the first and most important step in realizing the funding of the plan. This must pass or nothing else will matter and the move to FBS will be dead for years, and maybe permanently since UTSA will move forward while we are standing still.

DROPOUT CLASS OF '82Image

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

There have been people for years (including myself) who have wanted Texas State to compete at the top level in every single sport and now that the students are taking the biggest step in the history of the University to make that happen all I see is complaining. Let's back the students and congratulate them on taking a step that none of us pushed when we were students (and I did spend a semester on student government) and then hold the University and Athletic Department leadership accountable for using the money to make our facilities all that we want them to be. This is the first and most important step in realizing the funding of the plan. This must pass or nothing else will matter and the move to FBS will be dead for years, and maybe permanently since UTSA will move forward while we are standing still.

Hmmm, give the AD money, hope they don't screw up, but when they do, THEN hold them responsible when that hasn't EVER happened before... Sounds like a Bobcat plan to me!

Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:50 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Hmmm, give the AD money, hope they don't screw up, but when they do, THEN hold them responsible when that hasn't EVER happened before... Sounds like a Bobcat plan to me!

Sounds like everything that I learned from working at Texas State.

I realize the students are trying to make the administration do something, but I can't see this really happening.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

My view on this is that the student government is the only group that has stood up and pushed this legislation through. Now they leave it up to us, the rest of the student body. 4-5000 votes are all that is needed for this to pass and the ASG is doing a pretty good job right now of pushing the Yes vote. I understand why my athletic fee is going up and I support that reason. From my understanding there will be renditions of the proposed additions to BCS and the Baseball/Softball Complex where the students will be voting for this. I also hear from a source within the ASG that Coach Harrington is sitting with money in hand that is for the Baseball/Softball Complex. So it is not like people are sitting on their hands here. I think that once the students vote this referendum through (and I can put money down that we will) everyone should do their best to support it and not bash it.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:22 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

My view on this is that the student government is the only group that has stood up and pushed this legislation through. Now they leave it up to us, the rest of the student body. 4-5000 votes are all that is needed for this to pass and the ASG is doing a pretty good job right now of pushing the Yes vote. I understand why my athletic fee is going up and I support that reason. From my understanding there will be renditions of the proposed additions to BCS and the Baseball/Softball Complex where the students will be voting for this. I also hear from a source within the ASG that Coach Harrington is sitting with money in hand that is for the Baseball/Softball Complex. So it is not like people are sitting on their hands here. I think that once the students vote this referendum through (and I can put money down that we will) everyone should do their best to support it and not bash it.

You're young, so it's good that you are naive (and I don't mean that in a negative way). There have been drawings of the complex for what? over a year if I am not mistaken. Also, keep in mind that the baseball/softball complex was intended to be completed last year. But last year was when the announcement of the NEW 5 year plan to build it is ready. So forgive me (and apparently some others on this board) if there is a whole "I'll believe it when I see it" approach. Throw in that the complex was supposed to be built using proceeds from a massive fundraising campaign that NEVER STARTED, and it is doubly sad.

And to say that the students are the only ones who ever stood up to the admin is just plain silly. The alumni have been leaving in literal droves. That is their method of standing up to the university. When alumni say "we will not give you money when you do nothing" is standing up to them.

So no, saying let's give them money THEN hold them accountable is not a good plan.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

You're putting the fox in charge of the henhouse when you give money to the administration and expect them to use it wisely.

You only need to look at the endzone complex construction to see proof of that.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:50 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:52 pm

what's wrong with the EZC?

Mal is talking about how it was way over budget to construct, although all of that happened before the current Athletic Director was even on the job if I am not remembering correcting. I swear Mal and Rev could you guys be any more negative today. Be happy someone finally wants to do something. I have been plenty critical of the administration in the past a will be again if warrented but sometimes you have to wait and see what happens before jumping all over people. I am sure I will get fried for saying that but come on folks. Can't we just be happy and supportive for once.

DROPOUT CLASS OF '82Image

Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

So the situation, according to you guys, is
A.We give admin money and they waste it, or
B.We don't give them money and the athletic dept is underfunded

Good situation to be in...

Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:39 pm
Site Admin

TheRevSWT wrote:

Sounds like everything that I learned from working at Texas State.

I realize the students are trying to make the administration do something, but I can't see this really happening.

That is what a lot of people said about the name change. If students want it bad enough they can make it happen. We will see.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:22 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Mal is talking about how it was way over budget to construct, although all of that happened before the current Athletic Director was even on the job if I am not remembering correcting. I swear Mal and Rev could you guys be any more negative today. Be happy someone finally wants to do something. I have been plenty critical of the administration in the past a will be again if warrented but sometimes you have to wait and see what happens before jumping all over people. I am sure I will get fried for saying that but come on folks. Can't we just be happy and supportive for once.

That's how we got into this mess, by taking a stance of "well, at least it's something. Who cares if it is just half-a$$ed, it's something!" No, if you do something, you do it right. That is doubly true with something as cost intensive as this is. And what's more, this isn't a one time charge. This will DRASTICALLY change the face of the university from a finance side. It's an ongoing charge. And if it isn't done right, it's going to cost not just the donations, or the current students money. It's going to funnel down for a LONG time.

Rick wrote:
That is what a lot of people said about the name change. If students want it bad enough they can make it happen. We will see.

The key difference is the name change was a "one and done" deal. This is not something you do once, then it is rockin and rollin by itself. It has to have a custodian to keep it working. That would be the AD, and I can't think of a single thing he has handled well since he got here.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Yes, okay, I admit it, I'm on a negative streak today. :wink: :wink:

Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:07 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next