Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Tonight is The Night 

Do you support the legislation?
Yes 81%  81%  [ 29 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 36

Tonight is The Night 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Tonight is The Night
Tonight ASG is introducting, debating, and voting on legislation to put the athletic fee increase up for student vote. I encourage all of you to come out to this historic event.

AUTHORS: Senator Ugo Eziefule

Richard Lopez

SPONSORS: President Reagan Pugh

Vice-President Alexis Dabney

FIRST READING: January 28, 2008

“Today’s Vision Tomorrow’s Traditionâ€￾

S.R.S. 2007-2008/1

WHEREAS: We consider Texas State University to be the best University in the state of Texas; and

WHEREAS: Texas State University has established a tradition of scholastic excellence on a national level; and

WHEREAS: In order for Texas State to continue in the fine tradition we have established, a determined and ambitious athletics program is essential to the forward progress we as an institution strive for; and

WHEREAS: There has been overwhelming positive student, alumni and community support for the move to Division 1A (Now known as Football Bowl Subdivision) football since the turn of the century; and

WHEREAS: This excitement is reflected by the past 2007-2008 Associated Student Government election as a part of both candidates’ platforms; and

WHEREAS: The result of this excitement was a re-initiated conversation that took place in the Athletics Strategic Planning Committee composed of members of the community, large donors, ASG representatives, Alumni, Faculty and the Administration appointed by President Denise Trauth; and

WHEREAS: After five meetings, the committee came to the consensus that the University has severely outgrown the Southland Conference and Division 1AA (Now known as Football Championship Series) football; and

WHEREAS: There is currently a four year moratorium initiated by the NCAA on all universities desiring to either move up in classification; and

WHEREAS: The committee felt that this moratorium provides an ample opportunity for Texas State University to prepare itself for a move to FBS in five years; and

WHEREAS: The infrastructure that must be created and the improvements that must occur in our Athletics program for Texas State to be prepared to compete at an FBS level are highly extensive and time sensitive; and

WHEREAS: The steps that must be taken have been enumerated in a list of benchmarks and a committee recommendation that has been unanimously approved by the President’s Cabinet; and

WHEREAS: The committee’s recommendations will replace the current plan for the pillar of the Capital Campaign dedicated to athletics; and

WHEREAS: The first step in the direction of FBS is undying confidence and investment from the student body; and

WHEREAS: It is necessary to hold a spring referendum this spring 2008 semester to increase the Athletic Service Fee over the next five years by twelve (12) dollars per credit hour; and

WHEREAS: This fee would be implemented in the fall of 2009 with an increase of two (2) dollars per credit hour. The fee will continue to be raised two (2) dollars per credit hour each year for five years until the 2013-2014 academic year; and

WHEREAS: This increase will bring the students’ contribution to the Athletic Department from the current eight ( 8 ) dollars per credit hour to twenty (20) dollars per credit hour or roughly from a total of five (5) million dollars to roughly thirteen (13) million dollars; and

WHEREAS: If the students choose to take the first step in creating a vision for the Athletics Department, it is essential that we be matched by the community, Alumni, Athletics Department, Staff, Faculty and the Administration; therefore

BE IT RESOLVED: That the Associated Student Government of Texas State University lead the student body into the next era of excellence at our institution by marching once again into the direction of FBS with a concentrated effort to pass this spring referendum; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That the Associated Student Government of Texas State University call on President Denise Trauth and Athletic Director, Dr. Larry Teis to employ an unprecedented level of diligence, passion and fervor in the implementation of the FBS plan; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That once the incremental fee increase has ended and the NCAA moratorium has lifted if in the unlikely circumstance Texas State is not positioned to apply for a classification change to FBS status that the fee be reviewed by the Associated Student Government and be subject to reduction and/or revocation; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That upon the passage of the spring referendum on February 12 & 13 2008 that President Trauth make a public statement regarding the mobilizing movement and Dr. Larry Teis and the Athletic Department notify all large media sources for coverage; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That student support must be constant throughout this process. Winning or losing, forward motion is under way and the fire must remain lit, today’s vision is tomorrow’s tradition; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That a copy of this legislation be forwarded to the Athletics Strategic Planning Committee, Dr. John Garrison, Dean of Students, Dr. JoAnn Smith, Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Larry Teis, Athletics Director and President Denise Trauth upon its passage.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That upon the passage of the spring referendum on February 12 & 13 2008 that President Trauth make a public statement regarding the mobilizing movement and Dr. Larry Teis and the Athletic Department notify all large media sources for coverage; and

I guess they don't think our higher ups will tell the world about our plans unless it is in writing?

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Quote:

I guess they don't think our higher ups will tell the world about our plans unless it is in writing?

They will need to do more than just that.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:27 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It's done. The students are voting on this.

Last edited by BobcatProud on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:32 pm
Site Admin

Way to go guys. This is the start of something that could be very special.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Consider this legislation passed by the student body already. There are a lot of people that I know who want this to happen. LC is having a meeting to push student support for the legislation so that it will pass. Not like it needs any help.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:56 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

BobcatProud wrote:

Consider this legislation passed by the student body already. There are a lot of people that I know who want this to happen. LC is having a meeting to push student support for the legislation so that it will pass. Not like it needs any help.

You never know how people are going to react to something like this. There are some that argue that tuition and fees are already too high. They hypothetical increase of $2 per SCH over the next couple of years is a concern.

Athletic Fee current- $8 (x 15hrs = $120)
Athletic Fee Fall 2009- $10 ($150)
Athletic Fee Fall 2010- 12 ($180)
Athletic Fee Fall 2011- 14 ($210)
Athletic Fee Fall 2012- 16 ($240)
Athletic Fee Fall 2013- 18 ($270)
Final Athletic Cost purposed- $20-SCH ($300)

$600 (per year) x 5 years (amt of time people stay in college) = $3000 of your student loans are going to fund Bobcat athletics.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:32 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

i'm not arguing for or against the fee increase, but we really should be clear about what it is. it's a fairly hefty football tax paid by all students, whether or not they care anything at all about bobcat athletics. in addition, that fee would be going up at a time when tuition is also going up. so i'm not sure i'd assume it's a sure thing. on the other hand, if those opposed aren't organized, it will be hard to beat.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:44 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LCCat wrote:
BobcatProud wrote:

You never know how people are going to react to something like this. There are some that argue that tuition and fees are already too high. They hypothetical increase of $2 per SCH over the next couple of years is a concern.

Athletic Fee current- $8 (x 15hrs = $120)
Athletic Fee Fall 2009- $10 ($150)
Athletic Fee Fall 2010- 12 ($180)
Athletic Fee Fall 2011- 14 ($210)
Athletic Fee Fall 2012- 16 ($240)
Athletic Fee Fall 2013- 18 ($270)
Final Athletic Cost purposed- $20-SCH ($300)

$600 (per year) x 5 years (amt of time people stay in college) = $3000 of your student loans are going to fund Bobcat athletics.

This is why every student should be going to every damn game. They are all ready paying for it anyway.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

Can someone explain to me how your institution has severely outgrown the Southland Conference and Division 1AA (Now known as Football Championship Series) football...?

What exactly defines how your school has "severely outgrown" the others?

Size? There's FBS institutions that are at about 4,000 (see Rice). If you go by that standards, we all should be FBS. There's even a few Div II schools that are the size or just abouts of your institution (see Wayne State with over 30,000 students). Well, maybe we should all be in Div II.

Or do you measure by athletic success? One playoff appearance. One Southland title.

I'm not quite sure how you've outgrown the conference or the subdivision. Until proven otherwise, I do not think that statement does anything for your case. If anything, this WHEREAS must have come out of the Dr Seuss classic, "Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!"

Last edited by TexasTerror on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:30 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Can someone explain to me how your institution has severely outgrown the Southland Conference and Division 1AA (Now known as Football Championship Series) football...?

It's the same attitude that got us this kind of "publicity." The administration, students, and faculty have no clue where SWT/Texas State fits in the grand scheme. Different group of clowns, same circus.

Quote:
SHOT IN FOOT, FOOT IN MOUTH

In a seemingly ongoing effort to elevate its football program from I-AA to I-A AND create a public relations nightmare, officials from Southwest Texas State had plenty to say last week, with typically little of it making sense. A series of articles in the Daily University Star, SWT's student paper, printed negative comments about the Southland Football League attributed to school administrators, and later detailed severe contradictions in plans for stadium expansion.

Athletic Director Greg LaFleur, who was hired in July and is a veteran of exactly one Southland Football League contest, was quoted as saying, "This school deserves to be known for its athletic program because the school is better than people perceive it to be. This [misconception] is because of our conference." Ah, yes, the league brings down SWT down. That would be SWT, which has a league record of 32-58-1 (.357), no conference titles, and no playoff appearances since joining the conference in 1987.

Not content to bust only on Southland athletics, SWT Vice President for Student Affairs James Studer offered the following, "[Those schools] are smaller and generally the academics are not the same as SWT's. We're not the institution we were 10, 15, or 20 years ago. We're a much better school. The kind of academic program we have is much more broad based. Generally, you're known by the company you keep." I see, so what you're saying is that schools like McNeese State and Northwestern State don't scream out "Ivy League," but teams from the Sun Belt (which is the only I-A league with football standards low enough to want the Bobcats) like Louisiana-Monroe, Middle Tennessee State, and North Texas have long been heralded as bastions of quality academics. Please.

Days later, no one in the SWT administration could figure out if 15,000 seats were going to be tacked onto Bobcat Stadium in conjunction with the I-A move. LaFleur told the University Star, "The Stadium must have 30,000 seats. It's required. We would have to expand the stadium." Jim Wacker, the special assistant to the president for athletic projects and brains behind the I-A move, told the paper the stadium would not be expanded unless there was a need. SWT president Jerome Supple chimed in, saying "We could go out and build a 30,000 seat stadium. Now, what we would do is build it cheaply. At least initially, the expanded seats would be the bleacher type." And finally, Studer said there were no plans to expand the stadium and that he had no expectation SWT could achieve 17,000 in actual attendance to begin with. In that case, how very prudent to go forward with a move to I-A.

Of course, all of this sniping at the SFL and stadium talk might be worth it if anybody outside of a few well-placed administrators within the Southwest Texas hierarchy even wanted I-A football. The SWT Faculty Senate voiced its opposition to the move in February 2000, citing "the negative message it sends regarding the relative importance of academics" and calling the proposed move "but another example of the university exalting form over substance and seeking quick and easy, yet ultimately meaningless fixes to better position us to run with the big dogs." A staff editorial from the University Star echoed the faculty's position, citing a probable tuition hike and an adverse effect on academic programs as reasons for student opposition. Worst of all, SWT clearly lacks the necessary fan base of 17,000 to support such a move. The school is averaging 12,417 tickets sold for home games this season, while the actual attendance fell at least 2,000 beneath that number for last week's McNeese State game. Anybody looking for a case study in misplaced motives for a move to I-A and the poorest execution of such a move better hop the next train for San Marcos, Texas.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:51 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TexasTerror wrote:

It's the same attitude that got us this kind of "publicity." The administration, students, and faculty have no clue where SWT/Texas State fits in the grand scheme. Different group of clowns, same circus.

But... We have vision! True, not the ones with the ultimate authority to mold this move, but still.. Some folks have vision! No real plan to make it happen, but VISION!

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:23 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Size? There's FBS institutions that are at about 4,000 (see Rice). If you go by that standards, we all should be FBS. There's even a few Div II schools that are the size or just abouts of your institution (see Wayne State with over 30,000 students). Well, maybe we should all be in Div II.

Or do you measure by athletic success? One playoff appearance. One Southland title.

I'm not quite sure how you've outgrown the conference or the subdivision. Until proven otherwise, I do not think that statement does anything for your case. If anything, this WHEREAS must have come out of the Dr Seuss classic, "Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!"

I think this has more to do with that we have a small window of opportunity to move up, otherwise somebody else (UTSA) might make a move for it. We have an opportunity to tap the SA market, which does not currently have a I-A program.

Also, this is what happens when your athletic director shows no leadership and does nothing more than fill an office. He won't make progress with the program, so the students are finding any way possible to force him. I-A football is something that is easy to latch onto. This is not so much a shot at the SLC or I-AA in general (despite what the legislation says), but more a reflection of dissatisfaction among students at the current state of our athletic quality.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post "severely outgrown?"
I as well have to agree with TT and Mal on this one...

Show me the proof where we have "severely outgrown" the Southland Conference

And some folks wonder why we get poor officiating at SLC athletic events.... :roll: Badmouthing the conference youre currently residing in really doesnt help....Plus that comment will be instant bulletinboard material in every SLC locker room.

Man the firehoses folks....the flames are gonna be pouring out from everywhere.

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:38 pm

Those of you who say we don't know where we are going should refresh yourself with the plan that was put together by the committee and approved by the President. It has very clear goals about winning championships, building fan support, building new facilities, adding on to existing facilities, fundraising and a timeline to achieve all of those goals. I think the issue that most of you have are the people that are in leadership positions to make that plan a reality, and I don't blame you for having those doubts.
As far as badmouthing the conference we are in, I think you can find fault in every single conference in America in one way or another. I will say this however about the Southland compared to other conferences. When you look at all other sports besides football (in other words 1-A compared to FCS football) the Southland gets almost no respect and gets no bids other than the automatic to every NCAA tournament whether we have more than one team deserving a bid or not. In basketball we also rarely if ever get a bid to the NIT post-season tournament even if we have teams with records that might deserve to get in. Now I don't know how you go about changing that for all of the schools in the conference but I do know a way for Texas State to change that, go to a conference that has some respect. Even the Sunbelt occasionally manages to get two or three teams in these post season tournaments but staying the the Southland will pretty much ensure that if we don't win the conference tournament we won't go anywhere. That includes Baseball folks, our strongest sport. If we slip up ONE game in the post season tournament our season is over no matter how good the team is. We should have been in the baseball tournament last year but didn't because we didn't beat Sam. In another conference the story might have been different.

DROPOUT CLASS OF '82Image

Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:07 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next