Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Defensive Coaches-Coach Vance. 

Could a successful HS HC/DC coach at the D-I Level?
Poll ended at Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:34 am
Yes 59%  59%  [ 10 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 17

Defensive Coaches-Coach Vance. 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Defensive Coaches-Coach Vance.
Earlier I said I would like to see coach Vance Join our Staff as a Defensive Coach. Some here said they wouldn't like to have another High School Coach here at TXST. I can understand the concern but IMO, I feel we cannot afford to hire a defensive coach with the type of coaching and playoff experience a coach like Coach Vance has from the college ranks. Coaching Texas High School Football he's probably seen more offenses and blocking schemes than most college coaches. Remeber many High Schools in Texas run the spread. Seguin runs something scary similar to TT. The difference is the Speed and the tallent, something I feel we have, and a Coach like Vance could adjust to. I would still like to have him here as an assistant to our DC.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:34 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Of course they can be successful, but they need to learn somewhere else.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:13 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

So you would rather keep hiring Grad Assistants to coach our team? I would rather take a Successful seasoned DC/HC from the High School ranks than a young Grad asistant that has never coached a down in his life.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:18 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

So you would rather keep hiring Grad Assistants to coach our team?

Those aren't the only two options that are possible for us. There is a third.

Mad_Cat wrote:
I would rather take a Successful seasoned DC/HC from the High School ranks than a young Grad asistant that has never coached a down in his life.

I won't speak for achtungpv, but me? I'd prefer to get a college coach that has won and demonstrated his abilities the college level (i.e., been able to handle NCAA regulations, recruiting, AND coaching), than go with either of the two options above.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:25 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Mad_Cat wrote:
So you would rather keep hiring Grad Assistants to coach our team?

Those aren't the only two options that are possible for us. There is a third.

Mad_Cat wrote:
I would rather take a Successful seasoned DC/HC from the High School ranks than a young Grad asistant that has never coached a down in his life.

I won't speak for achtungpv, but me? I'd prefer to get a college coach that has won and demonstrated his abilities the college level (i.e., been able to handle NCAA regulations, recruiting, AND coaching), than go with either of the two options above.

I agree that would be the preferable option but we don't have the dollars to staff an entire coaching staff with seasoned college coaches. At best we are looking at hiring coaches with two to three year under thier belt. They will also be looking to move on after a year or two. With a Seasoned HS coach you have a performace record to gauge thier abilities, giving them the chance to coach at the college ranks you also have some loyalty. There are probably more Bobcat Alum coaching at the HS ranks. Also HS coaches for the most part know how to take RAW tallent, gauge it and develop it. College coaches take known talent and put it in play. JMO

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:36 am
True Bobcat Fan

achtungpv wrote:

So you would rather keep hiring Grad Assistants to coach our team? I would rather take a Successful seasoned DC/HC from the High School ranks than a young Grad asistant that has never coached a down in his life.

So when I become a Grad Assistant coach you wouldn't want me to coach at Texas State even though I know the systems and whatnot? Kinda dumb since all the grad assisstant coaches are taught the same system....

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Personally, I want to hire college coaches with college experience. I personally couldn't care less about a HS DC that has stuffed 18 versions of the wishbone and a 9 watered down versions of the spread offense. HS football is a different game. I don't think with our goal of going DIA, we can afford the time to let a HS coach get up to speed on the college game. Hell, look at our current coaches. THey've been in the college system for several years after success at the HS level and they still coach like they're in HS.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Mad_Cat wrote:
achtungpv wrote:

So when I become a Grad Assistant coach you wouldn't want me to coach at Texas State even though I know the systems and whatnot? Kinda dumb since all the grad assisstant coaches are taught the same system....

Grad asst's are OK but if I had to choose between a Grad asst with two years coaching or a HS coach with 10yrs and two state titles. I would go with the State Titles. JMO I wouldn't make him DC but would love to have him on staff.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:13 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

[quote="Mad_Cat"][quote="achtungpv"]Of course they can be successful, but they need to learn somewhere else.[/quote]
Learn somewhere else is a good argument my vote is for expereince

So you would rather keep hiring Grad Assistants to coach our team? I would rather take a Successful seasoned DC/HC from the High School ranks than a young Grad asistant that has never coached a down in his life.[/quote]

Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Is this guy a candidate or are we just speculating?

Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:45 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Is this guy a candidate or are we just speculating?

Just talking football. I made a comment on another thread that I wouldn't mind coach Vance joining our staff. Given his ties to our OC Travis Bush it could be possible but not likely. Some posters mentioned they don't want any more HS coaches on the Staff. With a slot open on the Defense Staff what would you rather have an experienced DC/HC like Coach Vance from Liberty Hilll as an assistant DC or some young college coach with 2-3 years experience trying to make a name for himself?

Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Would anyone have a problem with bringing in a successful D2 Coach?

Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:01 pm
Site Admin

As far as being able to find candidates with DII experience is a solid way to go. Alot of DII colleges run a wide open offense and if a Coach can stop those offenses with the athletes he has he can probably do it at a FCS level. We need somebody who can stop McNeese and Central Arkansas.

I would take a successfull high school coach over some one who has very little coaching experiece. A successfull high school coach has proven that he can relate to young athletes, and you would hope that he can figure out how to relate to college athletes. With that said I am ok with hiring a very successfull high school coach as a Cordinator but as a head coach I think they need a few years of college ball under neath their belt before move up to HC. Atleast Coach Wright had 3 years under his belt before he moved up to HC.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:11 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

We would have to pay better than a Division II school to attract a Division II coach. :? :? :? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:00 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

chrisattsu wrote:

We would have to pay better than a Division II school to attract a Division II coach. :? :? :? :oops: :oops: :oops:

BINGO! Good college coaches are hard to attract unless we are willing to pay like a mid major program.

Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:18 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next