Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Jets and Reverses 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Jets and Reverses
Since Jets and Reverses are going to be part of our new offense I thought I would find some clips for those who may be wondering what these plays are and are not able to make it to the practices or scrimages. There are several variations of these plays but the key part in all of them is the misdirection. Look at the defenses reaction to the motion on the traps and fake reverses. These are only examples but I'm excited to seet he addition to our running game. ||:-||

Follow Link: http://www.newpal.k12.in.us/Sports/FOOT ... 0Sweep.htm

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

If you look closely, these are similar to the running sweeps to the slot that Matsakis use to run in the the triple barf offense. These just sweep out more rather than playing off tackle.

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:49 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

If you look closely, these are similar to the running sweeps to the slot that Matsakis use to run in the the triple barf offense. These just sweep out more rather than playing off tackle.

I was under the impression that the Jets were "runner's choice." I.e., depending on what the OLB/End does, he turns it up (off tackle) or kicks it out (wide sweep).

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The blocking scheme doesn't create decent holes between tackle and end. Not to say a decent back wouldn't cut up that hole if it opened, but the pulling tackle off the end creates space wider. I could see Canady breaking either if he hits the hole hard and fast.

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

These plays require a back with superior speed. What I didn't like about our running game under Bailiff was too many power-counter plays. These depend on misdirection and then power at the point of attack. I believe these plays are now obsolete with the overall increase in size at this level. However power-counters are a good option when you have average backs because success depends less on the backs and more on the point of attack springing the back into the secondary level. I feel we had an adaquate run blocking line last year so more of a pro-style running attack (one back) would have worked with our good (but not superstar) running backs.

Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:30 am
True Bobcat Fan

I'm excited to see this. I liked CB overall but one of the things that annoyed me was that our ground game was incredibly too simplistic.

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:18 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

There are many versions of these plays and yes Manny did use a version in his offense. The difference is going to be the use of the motion. Manny used the play to read pass coverage and determine if the D was using man or zone which is the Run and Shoot aspect of his offense. Bush has roots in the Slot-T offense that his Father has made popular in Texas High Schools. It's roots come from the Delaware Wing-T offense that was popular among Universities. It was primarily a running scheme but offten created big passing opportunities. The "Jet" is a new wrinkle to this style offense. The object of the Jet or Fly sweep is to get the running back, Slot, or Split end at full speed to get around the Perimeter. This makes RBs,Slots and WR's more dangerous because they can hit the perimiter faster than a LB can react often relying on less blocks. To stop it Corners and Strong Safeties need to help contain and can fall victum to the play action pass. Safeties then become responsible for the deep pass with corners playing man on the spilt ends. If the Defense over plays the sweep they become victims to the inside trap and counter opposite motion. Like the Triple Option this offense requires a defense to play assignment football and allows the offense to find mismatches and pick apart the secondary. This causes the defense to stay honest to prevent being caught out of possition and giving up a big play. If executed to perfection this offense can break big plays on the ground as well as through the air. Applying wing-t principals to the multiple spread offense is becoming a new trend in the college football. American Football Monthly has several articles about coaches and teams making waves in college football with this scheme. ||:-||

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:55 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

damn Mad_Cat, that was a nice little write-up!

I still prefer a spread offense, 3-4 wide with about 30-40% shotgun and 60-70% under center with about 1/3 of that having a FB. But I think as the talent gets diluted, as it does when you go lower in the college football divisions, the triple option and other "guess what we're gonna do" offenses work extremely well. I'll have to read more on a jet based offense.
Dan

EDIT: After reading a bit, it seems that this could simply be an add-on to our old offense, using it half a dozen to a dozen times a game. I like it.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:35 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

damn Mad_Cat, that was a nice little write-up!

Thank You.

Ender wrote:
I still prefer a spread offense, 3-4 wide with about 30-40% shotgun and 60-70% under center with about 1/3 of that having a FB.

I think you will still see us line up in these formations. Remember TTech and Many used a very simmilar running game and they used many Spread formations. Coach Bush Sr was known for running this offense fron the I and an offset back field(FB, Swing man, halfback). The current OC at San Marcos High (formerly coached by Bush Sr) uses an empty back field ( 2tight slots 1 splitend and 1tightend 1WR) with the QB under center. It is a very versitile offense and I don't see why Travis Bush wouldn't be able to adapt this style of play to the shot gun. Adapting a run oriented style of offense to move the ball better on the ground while still taking advantage of a solid shotgun passing game is becoming very popular in college football(West Virginia, Florida).

Ender wrote:
But I think as the talent gets diluted, as it does when you go lower in the college football divisions, the triple option and other "guess what we're gonna do" offenses work extremely well.

I don't feel tallent has much to do with styles of play it has more to do with the coaches Phillosophy and what he wants to accomplish again look at WV and Florida. I will say these offenses are considered "equalizers" but having tallent like we have now only makes execution easier. Bush is smart to go with what he knows and adapt it to what he has learned under Coach Herman. Say what you want about him but realize his father is the Godfather of what is considered a very dangerous offense. Also realize this, many of the popular offenses we know today were concepualized in the Highschool ranks before coaches realized they can be utilized at higher levels of play.

Ender wrote:
After reading a bit, it seems that this could simply be an add-on to our old offense, using it half a dozen to a dozen times a game. I like it.

I agree it will be an add on but I think we will see the difference in the running game and we will be a balanced run first pass second team like West Virginia. But that is my opinion. By the way Georgia Southern became a powerhouse because of its unique style of the tripple option. How great would it be if we became known for a high powered running game as they did.
FYI: If they can execute this offense at this level of play like Coach Bush Sr did at the high school level be ready because I can say first hand this will get exciting fast. Trying to find the ball from the stands is difficult untill you see the RB running down the field with defenders looking lost. ||:-||

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Probably the best example of what I see will be our new offense would be the Arkansas Razor Backs offense. I saw this Bowl game and just remembered to look them up. Follow this link to a comentary on the Razorback offense. I see this being our future offense. Pay close attention to the commentators remarks about how difficult it is to defend.
Clip does take time to load be patient.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/ ... src=sports

:flag: :flag: :flag:

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:11 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Probably the best example of what I see will be our new offense would be the Arkansas Razor Backs offense. I saw this Bowl game and just remembered to look them up. Follow this link to a comentary on the Razorback offense. I see this being our future offense. Pay close attention to the commentators remarks about how difficult it is to defend.

To bad Andre transfered. He would have shined in this offense.
:texasstate:

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:25 am
Site Admin

Mad_Cat wrote:

To bad Andre transfered. He would have shined in this offense.
:texasstate:

I agree with you there, but Karrington Bush appears to be picking up his slack, no problem.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:31 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I don't know if im getting this right but who would be the backs in this offense? Is there a fullback, halfback, and wingback?

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I don't know if im getting this right but who would be the backs in this offense? Is there a fullback, halfback, and wingback?

Depends on the formation. If they are running the type of offense I'm thinking of a slot in motion can recieve a handoff making him a RB, for instance an "Ace" formation (for you EA NCAA players) can have up to four RB's (2-slots, 1-full/tail back, QB on boots and keepers) An empty set could be three(no Tailback). According to the rules a Back (player not lined on the line of scrimage) can go in motion and receive a hand off. If the opposite slot/back takes a second hand off (reverse) he is now the running back. Just like the comentator on the clip said you have to really read the handoff and make certain which RB indeed took the handoff. Of course while the LB's are stationary reading the play the fat nasties are comming down on them (typicaly as a double team or a gaurd and tacke pulling) at the point of attack. So having Slots and true RBs that are play makers (which we do) makes us very dangerous. IF I'm reading into Coach Wright's comments correctly. ||:-||

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:42 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Since we are talking Defense I thought I would bump this thread to post another link to the Arkansas game vs. Tenn.

There are several plays that demonstrate how a simmilar offense can potentially create big plays.

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SMn1Md035s&NR=1

Ark vs. Miss St.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_W0UoQGjD4&NR=

Ark vs Ole Miss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlKHNeL8Lyo&NR=1

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:03 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next